PDA

View Full Version : aromatic cedar

David Zurick
11-07-2007, 4:04 PM
Anyone know of a source for sheets of aromatic cedar in 1/32 and 1/16 thickness? Im using it to line some boxes ive made on the laser to hold books. Thanks.

Joe Pelonio
11-07-2007, 4:32 PM
You might contact one of our members, Mike,

He makes them thicker, for cooking salmon mainly but might be able to help
with a custom order for you.

www.nwplank.com

Angus Hines
11-07-2007, 4:51 PM
My local lowe's has it in 1/16 for lining chests and cabinets ect....and actually very pretty with lots of purple veining.

John Keeton
11-07-2007, 7:57 PM
I haven't checked this out, but eastern red cedar (aromatic cedar) may yellow some paper. If one stores woolens in a cedar lined closet they will yellow from the oily vapors. Don't know if it would affect rag content paper. It's a shame you aren't closer to Kentucky, David. The stuff is cheap here and readily available from local mills.

David Zurick
11-08-2007, 8:48 AM
Thanks for the help everyone. I guess I should look into the paper yellowing a little more before I use it. The boxes are going to hold family bibles and id hate to ruin one.

Leland Berry
11-08-2007, 9:44 AM
David, I would be very interested in what you find out. I work with it a lot
and I'm unaware of any yellowing potential. Please let me know --THX

David Zurick
11-08-2007, 3:41 PM
Leland, I found this at a museum site:
1996 BOZEMAN -- Contrary to the wisdom that comes with every girl's "Hope Chest," paper and textiles will be harmed by the oils and fumes in cedar chests, says Museum of the Rockies registrar.
As registrar, Connie Estep is responsible for the care of items at the museum in Bozeman, Montana.
Wood damages any textiles or paper it contacts over time, says Estep. Probably cedar chests traditionally were thought to protect because they provided a sealed environment.
However, wood fumes and wood oils build up in a closed environment and eventually can discolor linens or paper. The acidic fumes also weaken textile fibers.
Cedar chests "make beautiful coffee tables, just don't store textiles or paper in them,"
I dont think ill give it a try lol. I think im going to use some cork actually. Thanks again to all that helped me.