PDA

View Full Version : does anyone have one of there??

Rich Torino
11-07-2007, 2:19 PM
I saw this and wondered if it really works?? Anyone have or use one??

thanks

Todd Burch
11-07-2007, 2:24 PM
Am I supposed to guess what this is?

Oh yes - I have lots of brass screws!

alex grams
11-07-2007, 2:28 PM
I assume you are talking about a bit for pulling out stripped screws?

I cannot attest to the particular brand 'grabit' but it is a common tool, especially for mechanics.

Mark Engel
11-07-2007, 2:29 PM
Looks like screw extractor bits to me.

I have used something similar in the past with mixed results.

David Duke
11-07-2007, 2:30 PM
Todd, the driver is like an ease-out, it seats in the screw head and with the drill in reverse removes the screw. But to answer the OP question , I've never used one but it looks like another tool in the kit.

Gary Keedwell
11-07-2007, 2:40 PM
I saw this and wondered if it really works?? Anyone have or use one??

thanks
Yes .....You should put it in reverse and on slow gear.
Gary

Eric Gustafson
11-07-2007, 2:44 PM
I have used this brand and the EZ-Outs. They both work well. They are used to remove screws when the heads are too stripped out. To use them you have to drill a hole in the center of the screw so that the extractor's grabbing surface can grab the inside diameter of the hole drilled. Most of the time this is easy to do. I have a full collection in my toolbox for those times I need them. They can be great time and material savers.

Danny Thompson
11-07-2007, 2:45 PM
I don't have that brand, either, but have used others. They require you to drill a pilot hole in the center of the stripped screw. This is not always possible. I've tried this on 4 screws that had popped screw heads. The system worked with 2 and did not work with 2, primarily because I could not get a satisfactory (i.e., centered) hole in 2 of the screws.

Kyle Kraft
11-07-2007, 2:58 PM
If the head isn't totally trashed, there is a product called First Try which is like grinding dust mixed with a light grease that works well. You could also make your own using grinding dust and light grease :P

Rich Torino
11-07-2007, 4:36 PM
Sorry for the vague question....
It's a product called "Grabit" and seem to be designed more for wood screws with stripped out heads. One bit drills a tapered indent in the damaged screw while the other bit, run in reverse, is supposed to grip similar to an easy out and back the screw out...
thanks for the feedback

Kevin Cole
11-07-2007, 4:43 PM
Ive had a set for 3 years and have never found a time where I needed to use them. Ive never even tried them. Unless you've found you've needed them on several occasions, I wouldn't bother buying them.

Drew Armstrong
11-07-2007, 4:48 PM
I have it and use it pretty regularly... mostly works pretty well...

Drew

Josh Youngman
11-07-2007, 8:42 PM
id be lost without it, works great (i use a different brand, same thing though)