PDA

View Full Version : Hi New to Forum...Buying 1st Bandsaw. Used Minmax s45...

larry bradley
11-07-2007, 1:36 PM
Hi Guys-

thanks in advance - i've enjoyed reading numerous threads on bandsaws here.

i am a looking for a bandsaw that i can resaw old pine into flooring/panelling/furniture stock. would mostly be joists or 6x6 beams - or possibly some smaller logs or log sections. Saw would get heavy homeowner use in renovations as well. I am an experienced renovator but not an experienced fine woodworker.

I have read longingly about the MM, Laguna and Agazzani bandsaws - I do not wish to buy the made in china grizzly saws.

i found a minimax s45 for sale - it's supposed to be about 10 years old - for $1000 (cut sheet indicates a 10" max resaw height and 3/4 max blade size) . Does this seem decent? The new s45's have 12" resaw and 1" blade max - which seems like what I need for resawing. I doubt I'll resaw much that would exceed 10 inches - but to make this compromise (and recognizing this is my first bandsaw) perhaps I should try to get the used MM S45 for more like $800. I guess the local buy would cut out tax and shipping costs at least.

I would much rather spend $1000 than $2400 - and it seems this would be a good 'trainer' for me at if I can get it at $800 - instead of spending $2400 plus that the heavy Laguna/MM/Agazzani that will cost me. I could always buy those as my 2nd band saw after maxing out on this mm with 10" resaw. Thoughts?

Any experience with 10 year old (or thereabouts) minimax s45's?

Are there any upcoming woodworking shows with big bandsaws in the Virginia/DC area this fall?

Thanks for any and all info!

Steven Wilson
11-07-2007, 1:50 PM
The S45 is a lighter weight saw compared to the MM (Centauro), Agazzani, etc. and would be fine for general purpose furniture work, but you're talking about resawing "joists or 6x6 beams, ... smaller logs". For that work I would go with a 20" MM or Agazzani saw. You really will appreciate the more robust saw for the material you're planning on processing. Of course, an older Powermatic 81 or any large Tannawitz or Northfield would work well (if you can handle 3 phase power).

larry bradley
11-07-2007, 3:15 PM
thanks - could this be the older s45 before the mini max MM line was available - and thus be more heavy weight? it's green and supposed to be 10 + yrs. old. i'll try to follow with a photo.

thanks!

The S45 is a lighter weight saw compared to the MM (Centauro), Agazzani, etc. and would be fine for general purpose furniture work, but you're talking about resawing "joists or 6x6 beams, ... smaller logs". For that work I would go with a 20" MM or Agazzani saw. You really will appreciate the more robust saw for the material you're planning on processing. Of course, an older Powermatic 81 or any large Tannawitz or Northfield would work well (if you can handle 3 phase power).

here's a photo of the bandsaw
http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff104/virginiarenovator/?action=view&current=minimaxs45bandsaw.jpg

Steven Wilson
11-07-2007, 3:45 PM
Nope, the S45 is basically the same now as it's always been. The MM line (made by Centauro for MiniMax) are heavier duty machines than the S45. The S45 is a nice saw but if you saw a S45 and a MM16 or MM20 together you would appreciate the difference.

larry bradley
11-07-2007, 4:58 PM
Nope, the S45 is basically the same now as it's always been. The MM line (made by Centauro for MiniMax) are heavier duty machines than the S45. The S45 is a nice saw but if you saw a S45 and a MM16 or MM20 together you would appreciate the difference.

given this info - and not knowing how well it will stand up to resawing of unknown intensity - is $1000 high for the S45 - would $800 be closer? at what price would you buy the s45 over a comparable new grizley/delta/jet in this range - could it be better than a new saw in the $800-1000 range? how can I find out who made it if it isn't Centauro? It is made in Italy, yes?

Thanks!

Steven Wilson
11-07-2007, 5:25 PM
Th S45 is made by Mini-Max the other Mini-Max bandsaws (MM16, MM20, etc) are made for Mini-Max by Centauro. $1K is half of what a new S45 would cost. Since I haven't been in the market for a bandsaw for a few years (I have a MM20, I don't need another bandsaw) I'm not up on all of the latest models from every company so I'm not going to tell you which one is mythicaly better. When I was looking a few years back, the S45 seemed more substantial than the 18" Jet that was out at the time. I probably wouldn't run a 1" wide Lennox Trimaster on this saw or the similar saws in the $1300 new range. I would probably use a 3/4" carbide blade on this for resawing. $800 would be a decent price for the S45

Roy Wall
11-07-2007, 5:34 PM
Larry,

I agree with Steven's comments above...... 3/4" blade @ 3 tpi will resaw nicely.

For price comparison, a NEW Grizzly 19" BS can be shipped to your door for $1289 - a 3 hp machine....just to give you a price comparison.

As long as this S45 has a 2.5 hp motor or larger it should cut the 10" resaw with ease. I don't see a rip fence......does it have one?

larry bradley
11-07-2007, 7:02 PM
Hi- thanks for the input.

it appears to be 1-1/2 hp and it holds a maximum 3/4" inch blade. not super powerful, huh. would seem to compete with $1000 range new bandsaws. don't know if it has a ripfence - specs say it came with one - will have to check it out.

specs:
http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/ff104/virginiarenovator/?action=view&current=s45specs.jpg

Larry,

I agree with Steven's comments above...... 3/4" blade @ 3 tpi will resaw nicely.

For price comparison, a NEW Grizzly 19" BS can be shipped to your door for $1289 - a 3 hp machine....just to give you a price comparison.

As long as this S45 has a 2.5 hp motor or larger it should cut the 10" resaw with ease. I don't see a rip fence......does it have one?

Kevin Adams
11-08-2007, 8:14 AM
Larry--

I have the S45N (the new model) and it is a really nice saw. I think it is on "special" all the time for about $1800. My use is for furniture with some sawing of split out logs for Windsor chairs parts. I looked closely at the MM16 and Laguna and just didn't see spending that kind of money for a 16" saw. In other words, the 18" throat was more important to me than the heavier duty nature ( and there really is quite a difference) of the MM line.

I think $1000 is too much for the older S45 saw. It's a nice saw and will run as smooth as silk (the S45's actually have superior fit and finish than the MM line), but if you want a beast to resaw some heavy timbers, I think you should look at the heavier saws. Having said that, I also think that most folks go overboard with what bandsaws they really need today. Many nice pieces of furniture were made with the old Rockwell/Delta 14" with 1/2 or maybe 3/4 HP motors and a 1/2" blade. My dream saw would probably be the 20" Agazzani, but the S45N is a very nice saw with a great pedigree (but keep in mind that the new S45 is a definite step-up from the older model). It's really a matter of what you will be using it for long-term. From your stated needs, I would suggest you look at the heavier duty line of MM, Laguna, or Agazzani saws. You can't got wrong with any of them.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on the S45N.

Kevin

larry bradley
11-08-2007, 10:16 AM
Thanks Kevin-

It seems like if I can get this s45 for more like $800 it might be worth it. It'll be my first bandsaw, and I'll be using it in renovating my house - mostly helping me make use of assorted old pine studs, timbers, joists, etc. If I can get by with the 10" max resaw height, 3/4 max blade, and 1-1/2 hp - it seems like it would be good value - plus I am buying it locally with no shipping/tax, etc.

I love the sound of the MM and Laguna HD and Agazzani bandsaws, but when I'm done with shipping I'm probably looking at $2800. I think I can get done what I need with this used s45 and if i can get it at $700-800 that seems like good value to me. Then as I progress if I run up against it's limits I can sell it and upgrade then with more knowledge of exactly what I'll need. Seems like if I can get a good buy now I should be able to get most of my money back later if I sell it. yes, no maybe?

As far as buying the used S45 - what are the sorts of wear, condition, and maintenance issues/signals to look for with the saw - wheels, tires, motor, belts, blade...?

what extras or accessories will help add value and justify my cost - mobile base, extra blades, rip fence, miter guage?

Thanks for any and all info!

LB

Larry--

I have the S45N (the new model) and it is a really nice saw. I think it is on "special" all the time for about $1800. My use is for furniture with some sawing of split out logs for Windsor chairs parts. I looked closely at the MM16 and Laguna and just didn't see spending that kind of money for a 16" saw. In other words, the 18" throat was more important to me than the heavier duty nature ( and there really is quite a difference) of the MM line.

I think $1000 is too much for the older S45 saw. It's a nice saw and will run as smooth as silk (the S45's actually have superior fit and finish than the MM line), but if you want a beast to resaw some heavy timbers, I think you should look at the heavier saws. Having said that, I also think that most folks go overboard with what bandsaws they really need today. Many nice pieces of furniture were made with the old Rockwell/Delta 14" with 1/2 or maybe 3/4 HP motors and a 1/2" blade. My dream saw would probably be the 20" Agazzani, but the S45N is a very nice saw with a great pedigree (but keep in mind that the new S45 is a definite step-up from the older model). It's really a matter of what you will be using it for long-term. From your stated needs, I would suggest you look at the heavier duty line of MM, Laguna, or Agazzani saws. You can't got wrong with any of them.

Please let me know if you have any other questions on the S45N.

Kevin

Roy Wall
11-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Larry,

With the blade off, I'd spin the top wheel and listen to the bearings...hopefully quiet as a mouse. Same with lower wheel, but you may have to remove the belt too. See how the Euro guides spin, a little WD-40

You can check the table flatness with a good straightedge...a few spots where a sheet of paper would fit would not be a major problem.

Tires should be checked for wear - they are probably about $35 each from MM for replacements. The 18" wheels are a nice size.

The miter guage will be pitiful and not a bother if missing. A missing rip fence would be a bummer (although you can use a 2x4 with clamps - but that's not my preference) - that will be a $100+ item for sure aftermarket.

I'd grab all the blade you can get from the seller and go for $7-800 max.

larry bradley
11-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Thanks Roy!

Larry,

With the blade off, I'd spin the top wheel and listen to the bearings...hopefully quiet as a mouse. Same with lower wheel, but you may have to remove the belt too. See how the Euro guides spin, a little WD-40

You can check the table flatness with a good straightedge...a few spots where a sheet of paper would fit would not be a major problem.

Tires should be checked for wear - they are probably about $35 each from MM for replacements. The 18" wheels are a nice size.

The miter guage will be pitiful and not a bother if missing. A missing rip fence would be a bummer (although you can use a 2x4 with clamps - but that's not my preference) - that will be a $100+ item for sure aftermarket.

I'd grab all the blade you can get from the seller and go for $7-800 max.

Kevin Adams
11-08-2007, 4:29 PM
Larry--

The S45 is a quality machine and there really shouldn't be any issues with maintenance presuming it has been properly treated over the years (and depending on how much use it has seen). I would simply tension up the blade and see how it runs. It should run as smooth as silk and easily balance a coin on the table. If it does this, then you pretty much know you have a good machine. Yes, inspect the tires and guides, but these are easily replaced if they need it. You can also get Carter replacement guides for this machine, which would not be a bad idea anyway.

If it runs well and makes you happy, I would offer $700 and see what reaction you get. This was probably less than a $1400 machine when new so don't go off the current price. I always think 50-60% is fair for a used machine like this. If you can't get it for that, I would honestly consider a Grizzly or Rikon, especially since this is your first bandsaw and it sounds like you are going to give it a good workout.

Good luck and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kevin