PDA

View Full Version : G0453 15" Planer

Eric Garner
11-07-2007, 12:15 PM
I was hoping that I would be setting up my new planer right now, but instead I'm writing this post..... Ordered the planer last Friday from Grizzly. Got the call last night from UPS and scheduled a delivery for today @8am.

The door bell rang and my excitement went through the roof. The driver said that he would get it off the truck and park it in the garage. So, I followed him out to the truck. He lowered it down and started pushing the pallet dolly down my driveway. (thought it was strange he wasn't backing it down) It started picking up a little speed so he dropped the dolly sending the planer flying! :(

I helped him get the crate back up on the dolly, but the planer was ruined. We popped the top to look. The pulley casing side took the impact and was completely crushed.

He called his supervisor and explained what happened, gave me a reference number, and loaded it back on the truck. I called Grizzly and passed the info along. The CS representative at Grizzly said she would call me later today with more info. Wonder how long before another one is shipped. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Brett Baldwin
11-07-2007, 12:30 PM
It sucks that you were teased with it making it to your driveway but it is a very good thing that you actually witnessed the dropping. Some of these companies are horrible about denying damage.

Rod Sheridan
11-07-2007, 1:30 PM
Eric, at least it didn't land on your foot!

Lee Hingle
11-08-2007, 12:38 AM
Eric,
my brother in Atlanta received (3) 15" Grizzly planers all turned over in the truck by UPS freight before delivery. He finally cancelled the order because of all of the headaches. However, Grizzly shipped a new planer immediately after each incident. In fact, the 3rd one was overnighted from Penn. to Atlanta. Too bad the driver neglected to secure the load after taking off on his route.
Lee

Denny Rice
11-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Eric,

Your patience will be rewarded. I have owned this planer for about 6 months and love it. Its a real solid piece and it is heavy! I am glad too it didn't fall on you. Just hang in there.....:)

Jeffrey Makiel
11-08-2007, 7:01 AM
I gave this some thought....your planer treked thousands of miles over land and sea. It was down to the last few feet in your driveway and kerpow. That's gotta hurt. My condolence.

All will be well. Both companies involved are reputable and will work to make things right. As mentioned above, nobody got hurt. And that's the most important thing.

-Jeff :)

Don Bullock
11-08-2007, 8:05 AM
You should have your new planer in no time. Sorry about the delay, but it will make a great story.

Eric Haycraft
11-08-2007, 10:24 AM
I have this same model. One side of the planner came free from the base when shipped, so it was slightly dinged up, but nothing to worry about. These units are top heavy when in the crate, so they are easy to drop. Good to hear that only the planer was hurt in the process. Grizzly can usually ship to me in like 3 days, so you shouldn't be out for too long.

Anyway, I do have one annoyance with it and hopefully one of you can give me some advice. On narrower stock with soft woods (pine) I tend to get marks from the outfeed roller. I have the pressure on the outfeed set very low and still get marks. Any lower and I fear that it wouldn't feed. Anyway, is there an aftermarket roller for the outfeed available that is rubberized rather than the metal one it ships with?

Eric Garner
11-08-2007, 2:39 PM
Just got off the phone with Grizzly, and my fears were realized. Seems that the paper work that they got from UPS notes that the item was refused due to damage, but fails to mention the driver dropping the planer.

So, now I am caught between Grizzly and UPS. Grizzly won't ship my replacement until UPS updates their paper work. The CS representative couldn't help me beyond that. I have been asked to 'hang tight' until they clear the mix up with the shipping company.....

It's hard to hang tight when I was so close to getting the planer. :(

Greg Cole
11-08-2007, 2:45 PM
Eric,
That plain old sucks. What should it matter whom damaged it from dock to door??? Not like you were pushing him down the ramp to help speed up the delivery (were you?).
Even worse you had to stand there and watch....
I deal with A LOT of freight for my employment and I am constantly amazed at the lack of responsibility any freight carrier has, be it 40 containers with a $1,000,000 of my machines in it or a parcel carrier with a $2 spare part. All freight comapnies make boo boo's, break thinks or lose things, the differentation from "good" to "bad" is usually how they handle the boo boo... or at least how they try to.
I am sure the big bear will take care of you, but I have little hope for the other party involved.

Greg

Eric Garner
11-08-2007, 6:32 PM
Just got a call from Grizzly. My new G0453 will be shipping out first thing in the morning!!! Grizzly apologized for the delay and said I should be getting my new planer in a few days.

Everything is good. :)