PDA

View Full Version : question about hardboard

Mike McCann
11-07-2007, 10:48 AM
Being new to woodworking I am following plans to build a jewelery box. FOr the draw bottoms the plans call for hardboard. What is that exactly is it plywood or mdf or what not sure.

thanks

Bill Huber
11-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Generally when they talk of hardboard they are talking about masonite. Which I am sure you have see around, it is dark brown in color, slick on one side and not on the other.

If you are going to cover the bottoms then the masonite would be fine but if your not then I would go with plywood.

Mike McCann
11-07-2007, 11:25 AM
Thanks. I have never cut masonite, I know what it is. How does it cut. DOes it dull the blades.

Gary Keedwell
11-07-2007, 11:33 AM
I don't think 1/8th or 1/4" masonite will dull a carbide blade.:)
Gary

Bill Huber
11-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks. I have never cut masonite, I know what it is. How does it cut. DOes it dull the blades.

I have never noticed that it will dull the blade more then anything else. I do use a fine tooth blade to cut it so I get a nice smooth cut.

Charles Wiggins
11-07-2007, 12:40 PM

Hardboard is dense stuff and production cutting can dull a blade pretty fast. If you're just doing a few things, use a good carbide blade, and be mindful of your feed rate and binding so the blade stays cool. If you're going to do a lot of cutting you might consider getting a modestly priced blade just for that operation. I have gotten Oldham blades at the Borgs designed for cutting metals and manmade materials that do OK and don't break the bank.

Tom Veatch
11-08-2007, 3:10 AM
...hardboard. What is that exactly....
Depending on how deep you want to get into it, here are the Wilkipedia entries for hardboard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardboard)and Masonite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masonite). "Hardboard" is the generic term, and I believe (but wouldn't bet the rent money on it) that "Masonite" is either a specific type of hardboard or is a brand name or trademark.

Tom Klass
11-08-2007, 4:07 AM
Masonite is brand name and the trade mark. If you are going to use it in drawer bottoms don't use the tempered hardboard which is darker in color then regular hardboard. The tempered hardboard is the one that will kill your blade faster then regular hardboard. The tempered hardboard when made is compressed with oil to make it more water proof. I prefer to use plywood when I make the bottoms the felt holds better when you glue it down the hardboard is compressed soooo much that the glue really doesn't soak in to bond the two matterials together.
hope that helps.
tom

David Giles
11-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Some jewelry box designs use the hardboard as a drawer slide as well as a drawer floor. The hardboard slides in a thin groove. In this case, you want to use hardboard that is smooth on both sides. Specialty wood stores will carry full sheets or art supply stores sell it as a painting board. BORG has only smooth one side in our area. It cuts easily.