PDA

View Full Version : TS Sled

Walt Pater
02-11-2004, 6:20 AM
All,
Due in large part to all you Creekers' advice, and the need to make some 16" deep window boxes, I made my first sled for my TS. I sorta accumulated all the advice given to D. Avery when he posted questions about sleds vs. Dubbys. I couldn't afford a Dubby (note to self: start getting bigger deposits), so I flew with what I had on hand. First: thanks to all- the sled cuts SQUARE, BABY. Second, although the sled moves easily enough through the guides (a little planing of the runners helped), should I apply a coat of wax to the bottom of the thing? It's made out of birch ply, as yet unfinished. TS top is aluminum. Don't want to guild the lilly if I don't have to. Thanks, Walt.

Tyler Howell
02-11-2004, 7:19 AM
Walter we worked hard on your sled dude so where are the Pics:mad:.
Come on, cough um up!:D
Congrats Walt. These Soggy Bottom Boys are great for pushinging you down the Creek!

I'd say go ahead and grease that bad boy up. Your friction is going to increase as you add more weight. Nothing to loose.

Michael Ballent
02-11-2004, 12:57 PM
Walter we worked hard on your sled dude so where are the Pics:mad:.
Come on, cough um up!:D
Congrats Walt. These Soggy Bottom Boys are great for pushinging you down the Creek!

I'd say go ahead and grease that bad boy up. Your friction is going to increase as you add more weight. Nothing to loose.

I completely agree, wax that bad boy up... Less friction as you push the sled through means the lower likelyhood that your hands might slip as you push the sled :)

-Michael

Ted Shrader
02-11-2004, 1:10 PM
Definitely wax it! I can tell when mine needs a touch up coat of wax.

Ted

Lynn Sonier
02-11-2004, 1:42 PM
You can buy rolls of teflon material, about one inch wide, which self-stick to the bottom of your sled and makes it smooth as the proverbial baby's bottom.
Lynn

Walt Pater
02-11-2004, 9:45 PM
All: A $2.99 knob of beeswax, and I-yi-YI! I haven't had this much fun since I discovered the 'steam' setting on my iron! I've got a camera on-site now, but after seeing some of the sleds posted, I have to say that mine, made from birch-ply scraps & drywall screws while waiting for a lumber, is the country cousin, and not the good one, either. I really do lust for the sort of time which would allow me to make nice shop (site) gigs, but I associate that sort of free time with winning a lottery. But seriously- I can't believe I went so long without one, and all of your suggestions are really appreciated. I really like the zero-clearance plate effect, which comes in handy with oak ply- at least it did today. Any other neat goodies?
Walt

Ted Shrader
02-11-2004, 9:55 PM
...Is the country cousin, and not the good one, either.Does it cut square? You dang betcha! Then it is a good one!
. . . I can't believe I went so long without one . . . .The cut off sled is the handiest tool I have ever made. Generally sits right on the saw, even though it does have a place on the wall.

Regards,
Ted