PDA

View Full Version : HELP....Corel X3 is brain dead

Frank Tralongo
11-07-2007, 1:32 AM
:confused:

Turned on my HP laptop tonite and tried to fire up Corel Draw x3, it has been running for some 6 weeks without problems.
Now when I try to start it I get the Microsoft C++ window saying CorelDRW.exe had an "abnormal program termination"
I de-installed CorelSuite then re-installed it twice all with the same results.
No changes to the system (Windows XP sp2) prior to the failure.
Anyone have any ideas???

Shane Turner
11-07-2007, 2:13 AM
I once had the same error as you're getting. Turned out we had a virus that was playing games with any program we ran. Might be worth while scanning your machine.

There's a good, free, online scanner from Trend Micro http://housecall65.trendmicro.com/

Darren Null
11-07-2007, 6:23 AM
You can try reinstalling over the top of your current corel. That'll kill all your personalised settings though, so it's worth having a look for nasties first.

Ed Newbold
11-07-2007, 8:34 AM
Ugh. That's nasty, Frank. As mentioned earlier, you've probably 'inherited' something from some web site somewhere. Personally, I never use my production machine (a laptop) for anything other than laser engraving or sending Carvewright projects to the memory card.

Browsing other web sites is restricted to an old PC I use for such purposes.

I'd advise you to uninstall Corel, run a virus scanner against the machine, and then reboot. After that, get out your installaction CD's and reinstall.

Hope you recover soon,

Frank Tralongo
11-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Well, I de-installed again ran 3 different virus scanners, ran regitry mechanic, took Nortons off this machine and all I can say is nothing has worked so far. Still get that same message.

Anybody got any other ideas

Phil Sanders
11-07-2007, 12:15 PM
Frank:

Searched the Corel KB database.

Query: "C++ error"
"USB dongle is missing"
(I doubt that your system is using a dongle for licensing)

Query: "C++ runtime error"

If your error message is:
Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error! pathname to C:\Program Files\Corel\Programs\CorelDraw.exe This program has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the applications support team for more information.
Then

Hold down the F8 key on the keyboard.
With the F8 key depressed, launch either CorelDraw.
The following message will appear:
Are you sure you want to overwrite the workspace with the factory defaults?
Click Yes and release the F8 key.Query: "abnormal program termination"
Corel KB article 759671 is a long procedure to manually remove CorelDraw Suite X3 leftovers from Windows Registry after an Uninstall of CorelDraw X3. You may want to go the Corel.com and find the KB article yourself.

None of this may be of any help, but the best I can do for now.

Phil

Tony Williams
11-07-2007, 6:57 PM
Well, I de-installed again ran 3 different virus scanners, ran regitry mechanic, took Nortons off this machine and all I can say is nothing has worked so far. Still get that same message.

Anybody got any other ideas

run stopsign.com
if you got a virus it will clean it up

Larry Bratton
11-07-2007, 7:05 PM
Try a Windows system restore back to a day when you know everything was working. See what happens then when you try and run Corel.

Frank Tralongo
11-07-2007, 7:39 PM
:D Super special thanks to Phil Sanders :D for finding the 2nd part of the error message on manually removing the software on the corel site and steering me back to fixing the problem.

It was defective register keys and corel in their wisdom does NOT remove old keys when you de-install the software thru the add/remove software cp.
So re-installing clean changes nothing.
You MUST manually remove the bad register keys then do a clean install.
See Phils message above....

Frank Tralongo
11-07-2007, 7:48 PM
With all my excitement I forgot to thank the rest of you for the all the suggestions. My sorry and THANKS Ya'll

Ed Newbold
11-08-2007, 7:26 AM
So glad you're up and running again.

I have filed the solution for future use, because I never know when this thing could hit me too! Well done Phil and Frank!