PDA

View Full Version : Agressive ripping blade for TS

Rob Will
11-06-2007, 10:02 PM
I'm helping a friend with his woodshop. He has two table saws.
The first is a new (10") Unisaw with a 30t Forrest WWII.
The second saw is an old Powermatic 71 (12") cabinet saw that we recently fixed up. It needs a blade.

He wants to set up the PM 71 as a heavy duty ripping saw. Mostly constrution stuff, no glue line or other high precision work. Lots of poplar, oak, walnut, and cherry. Some of it will be for paneling in a rustic cabin.

What would you suggest for an aggressive ripping blade?

Thanks,
Rob

glenn bradley
11-06-2007, 10:05 PM
Don't know about a 12" but I use a 24T Lietz for my 10" and am very happy with it.

scott spencer
11-06-2007, 11:44 PM
The best deal I know of (http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB4&Number=3314621&fpart=&PHPSESSID=) currently is from Mike Jackson, who still has some German made Leitz blades at really good clearance prices.

If the arbor on the PM71 is 1":
35-641 12" z24 flat rip 1" bore $10

If the arbor is 5/8", you could go with a 10" 10 tooth bulk ripper.
35-610 10" z10 SQ 5/8" bore $10

Freud will have some very low tooth count bulk ripper (http://www.amazon.com/Freud-LM71M012-12-Inch-Ripping-1-Inch/dp/B00004T78R/ref=sr_1_3/103-7444176-4466257?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1194410913&sr=1-3)s too for more money.

John Bush
11-06-2007, 11:52 PM
Hi Rob,
I bought an Infinity rip blade and it has worked well for me. Watchfor their sales.

Charles McCracken
11-07-2007, 7:32 AM
This is the Freud offering I recommend:

LM71M012
http://www.freudtools.com/p-37-thick-stock-ripbr-nbsp.aspx

Jim Becker
11-07-2007, 9:13 AM
I use the 10" 20t Forrest WW-II rip blade...aggressive is the right word!

John Thompson
11-07-2007, 9:39 AM
Morning Rob...

I do a lot of ripping and my 10" TS stays set up with a 24 flat tooth which if sharp, will actually give you a relatively smooth cut. I cross-cut with a SCMS and a 72 T Freud with the 5* negative hook.

But... if I were going to do mainly construction ripping as you stated, I would go with the 20 T flat as Charles Mac and Jim Becker suggested as it has even more gullet space for waste removal.

I was a little confused with your post as you said he would mainly be doing construction ripping... then stated it would consist of several species which included oak, walnut and cherry. What type of construction does he do to use what a "poor boy" considers furniture grade stock, or was your statement just a generalization as I expect?.... :)

Sarge..

Rob Will
11-07-2007, 6:22 PM
Morning Rob...

I do a lot of ripping and my 10" TS stays set up with a 24 flat tooth which if sharp, will actually give you a relatively smooth cut. I cross-cut with a SCMS and a 72 T Freud with the 5* negative hook.

But... if I were going to do mainly construction ripping as you stated, I would go with the 20 T flat as Charles Mac and Jim Becker suggested as it has even more gullet space for waste removal.

I was a little confused with your post as you said he would mainly be doing construction ripping... then stated it would consist of several species which included oak, walnut and cherry. What type of construction does he do to use what a "poor boy" considers furniture grade stock, or was your statement just a generalization as I expect?.... :)

Sarge..

No, you read it right. There are still a few people who cut trees and build houses with the lumber. All you need is a neighbor with a Woodmizer.......and if you can pick your nieghbor.......pick one with a hydraulic log turner.:D

Rob

John Thompson
11-07-2007, 6:41 PM
No, you read it right. There are still a few people who cut trees and build houses with the lumber. All you need is a neighbor with a Woodmizer.......and if you can pick your nieghbor.......pick one with a hydraulic log turner.:D

Rob

Thanks for the clarification, Rob. Strange.. I have about 400' linear feet of pecan still on hand from a pecan grove on a cousins property he was going to develope we took to the sawmill. And about 150' feet of sweet-gum from two trees in the yard I ripped on the BS.

But... your reply to his use never crossed my mind and it probably should have. It used to be common here, but all the tree's in my area have "gone with the wind" and building sit where they once grew. Shame IMO.. but the world has changed radically with some places more than others.

Again.. thanks for clarification......

Sarge..