PDA

View Full Version : Gun Stock Repair

Tim Brooks
11-06-2007, 9:20 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260179286747&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

My dad is into collecting old guns and has come across this gun stock. He knows the fella that is selling it and has seen the stock up close. His question to me is this:

The dark spots you see in the photos are actually recesses in the wood. He asked me if they can be repaired. I have never ventured into doing anything like this so I was wondering if any of you have any insight you can pass long to me about the possibility of repairing it and how difficult it would be.

Thanks so much!
Tim

John Timberlake
11-06-2007, 9:55 PM
Looks like the finish has already been removed. The first thing to try is to wet the dents and then heat them with a steam iron. Repeat until it does no good. Past there, you can sand or fill as you wish.

Josh Youngman
11-06-2007, 11:16 PM
Steaming out dents is a common procedure in old gun restoration.

There are probably better methods, but ive seen some that attach a piece of flexible tubing to a tea kettle and use it to steam out the dent. YMMV

Todd Jensen
11-07-2007, 1:49 AM
I'd second the steaming - it works surprisingly well. Also, your textured grips look to be in great shape so at the very least I'd think you could sand those spots down without messing with the grids and still have a beautiful stock.

Tim Brooks
11-07-2007, 7:33 AM
Interesting information. Thanks so much for the input. If anyone else has anything to add please do so.

Thanks again everyone.