PDA

View Full Version : The Honeymoon is over

Bruce Page
11-06-2007, 9:16 PM
I bought the little 10” Rikon band saw 2 years ago for small BS projects. I was pretty impressed with its overall build quality and wrote a mini review on it. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=25527.
I went to use it tonight, (it’s been collecting dust for a couple of months) and with a loud BANG the blade flies off the wheel. After the wheels stopped moving I opened the door to find that the tires had failed.
It sure seems to me that a BS tire should last longer than 2 years. I’m still happy with the BS but their tires suck!
I guess I’ll be calling Rikon tomorrow.:(

Has anyone else had this issue with their Rikon?

Merle Clor
11-06-2007, 9:46 PM
Bruce,
I can't answer your question, but I am sorry to hear about your misadventure. Good luck with the company.
Merle

Mark Singer
11-06-2007, 9:56 PM
Bruce,
I have owned a few bandsaws and that is not typical! I have had bandsaws for over 10 years with the original tires.They should stand behind it!

Nancy Laird
11-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Bruce, you are probably right that the tires should last more than 2 years. David replaced the tires on the old Atlas a few months ago, and even though they had been replaced at least once--and probably twice--since the early 50s when Dad bought it, we know for sure that they had been on the saw over 14 years.

From the picture, hubby says it looks like that the material the tires were made from was probably too "dry" and they dried out and dry-rotted here in our low humidity.

I'd raise Cain with Rikon--you shouldn't have to be replacing tires at 2 years.

Nancy (45 days)

Drew Armstrong
11-06-2007, 10:59 PM
I am sure you have kept the tension down when not in use right?.. The other thing that might make such things fail really fast is O3... you dont have an Ozone generator in the shop do you:) I have a big industrial strength one I use for my apartments... one time I ran it in an apartment and left some power tools in there... replaced all the cords within 3 months... it eats rubber...

Drew

John Bush
11-06-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi Bruce,
Sorry to hear of the tire material failure. At least it wasn't on your Countach @ 155 MPH. I have had minor fix-it needs for my Rikon 18 and each contact with the company resulted in same-day phone response and any parts were in hand within just a few days. I think you can look forward to great CS from them. In the mean time, come on up and use mine and I'll throw some salmon on the barbie.Good luck, John.

Jim Becker
11-07-2007, 9:10 AM
Ouch. If Rikon isn't helpful with the tires, Suffolk Machinery should be able to supply you new ones.

Bruce Page
11-07-2007, 4:19 PM
Thanks guys. I'm waiting to hear back from Rikon & Woodcraft.

Darren Ford
11-07-2007, 6:27 PM
What year and color is your Countach Bruce?

Bruce Page
11-07-2007, 6:49 PM
What year and color is your Countach Bruce?

LOL! If I could afford a Countach I'd just buy another bandsaw! :eek: :D

I finally got ahold of Rikon. They are sending 2 new tires free of charge. I hope they last longer than 2 years...