PDA

View Full Version : New Lathe

Joe Luzich
11-06-2007, 9:07 PM
I am looking to purchase a new lathe. I only have 110 in my shop and do not intend to put in 220. I am looking for at least 16" swing. I have come up with only two in that class. The Jet 1642 and the Nova DVR XP. If you know of others I would appreciate letting me know. Of the two mentioned above which would be the better choice. I have sold my other lathe and have nothing to play with. I am getting the shakes.

Thanks in advance

RL Johnson
11-06-2007, 9:22 PM
Laguna Tools is listing a new lathe that is variable speed with an 18" swing. A list price of $1695 seems reasonable for this size lathe. Do not know anyone who has one yet and it may be like a new car, never buy a first year model.

Bill Stevener
11-06-2007, 9:40 PM
I have a Nova DVR and love it. Depends on what you plan on doing. Mine was maid in NZ. and has served me very well.
Folks should always keep in mind that the top of space needle in WA. state rotates, with a boat load of folks on board and it only uses a 1.5 hp motor to turn it.

Richard Madison
11-06-2007, 10:25 PM
Yeah, but it won't rotate fast enough to turn wood.

Can't suggest alternative machine, and can't vote 100% for the Jet (have 2 hp. 1642), as have never seen the Nova. Maybe more pounds per dollar, or maybe more quality per dollar? As Bill said, consider what kind of work you are doing now, and what you intend to do in next few years.

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2007, 10:31 PM
I also have a Nova DVR and love it. It is one sweet lathe that fits my smallish shop.

Neal Addy
11-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Can't go wrong with either lathe. Either would serve you well.

I am curious about the Laguna though. Might be a good option. I ordered their DVD a week ago and have already gotten an email and a call from them. They certainly seem anxious to push the product.