PDA

View Full Version : LN Progressive Tooth Dovetail Saw

gary Zimmel
11-06-2007, 8:27 PM
Had a nice surprise delivery at work today. Casey at LN sent me a progressive tooth dovetail saw. (With coco handle to boot)

Will give it a spin tonight, as I am just ready to cut the dovetails on the 4 drawers for a coffee table for our living room.

It's really not bad having this disease....

Don C Peterson
11-06-2007, 8:59 PM
When you say "Casey at LN sent me..." you do mean you PAID for it, right? If not, maybe you can share the secret to getting on LN's gift list!

I have their regular dovetail saw and love it.

willie sobat
11-06-2007, 9:18 PM
When you say "Casey at LN sent me..." you do mean you PAID for it, right? If not, maybe you can share the secret to getting on LN's gift list!

I have their regular dovetail saw and love it.

Ditto. Can you explain the progressive tooth design?

Don C Peterson
11-07-2007, 12:09 AM
Ditto. Can you explain the progressive tooth design?

The progressive tooth design just means that the teath at the toe(front) of the saw are small and progressively get larger toward the heel. The idea is that the smaller teeth make it easy to start and the larger teeth cut quickly, theoretically giving you the best of both worlds.

I'm curious about just how well it works compared to their regular saw and if the larger teeth make for coarser finish.

Charlie Mastro
11-07-2007, 12:53 AM
I believe they may have got that idea from the Japanese ryoba saws. They all have that feature.

gary Zimmel
11-07-2007, 1:14 AM
Casey sent me the saw but for some reason needed my visa number...

The saw works great on tails as I am using birch but on the white oak I still used my regular LN dovetail saw. I have trouble seeing the scrib lines on the oak so end up cutting very slowly. On the tails I didn't notice any difference in the finish of the cut (which is a good thing).

Here is the first half blind dovetail that was cut with the new saw. It was a great first test drive.. takes me a long time ,but who cares when your having fun.

Eddie Darby
11-07-2007, 2:19 AM
Nice work Gary!

Don C Peterson
11-07-2007, 2:18 PM
Well, congratulations anyway Gary. And, nice work on those dovetails.

Was there a reason you decided to use the standard DT saw on the Oak? Was it just for comparison or was it because you cut "very slowly" anyway? I guess my question ultimately is, what is the net effect of the progressive tooth design and do you think it's worth having both?

I personally have my doubts that I would see any benefit. I have never thought that the standard DT saw cuts too slowly. But more experienced and confident hands may find much more of a benefit...

gary Zimmel
11-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Don

I used the new saw on the oak for really only one reason, I am confident with the regular DT swa and didn't want to screw up the drawer cutting the half blind pins. If I compare the two both are excellent tools and made to the LN standard. If I didn't have a DT saw and only could get one I would pick the progressive. Mainly because it would give me the best of both worlds.
Did I need a new one ... Not really
Did I want one .. You Bet.
And it sure looks good in the stable !