PDA

View Full Version : If you ever need a new DJ-20 switch...

Juan Lauchu
11-06-2007, 7:07 PM
I have been refurbishing a 1976 DJ-20 jointer that I got from a friend. Put a new Byrd Shelix cutter head and had to redo some electrical.
After visiting several local electrical supply companies in my area and not being shocked at the price of a new switch ($100) because I got some help from members here; I took it one step further. Yes, I could have replaced the switch with a magnetic switch with thermal protection but I really wasn't ready to do this in my given situation. I went online and started scrolling through the Grizzly website, looking for the same specs on the motor and looking at part lists. The PDF break down allowed me to really see what I was looking for. I found a matching switch; called Grizzly Technical support and ordered it for... $10!!!! Again, considering my specific situation, this was a steal compared to the $100 replacement locally. Not only did I get a new switch mechanism, but I got the whole shibang. I was actually only expecting the mechanism.
So... should you ever need a new switch, check with Grizzly if you want to keep the price low. Grizzly made me a happy man.:)
Jointer runs great! Just got done testing it.

Tyler Howell
11-07-2007, 9:09 AM
Juan,
Did you get a magnetic switch for $10???:eek:
Even so a mechanical is a good deal at ten.
Congrats

Juan Lauchu
11-07-2007, 8:09 PM
Tyler,
No, I got a standard mechanical. I doubt anyone can touch a magnetic switch already boxed and ready to go for less than what Grizzly sells them for.
The motor in this DJ-20 is original (30 years old) and my thinking is that I will run it till it dies and then upgrade to a Baldor motor. Maybe increase the HP while I'm at it. Then... I will definitely install a new Magnetic Switch with Thermal overload protection. Neat thing from Grizzly is that one can order the arm assembly and switch that you see on their newer models of the DJ-20 clone. I'd just have to spray the arm a similar color to that Delta grey.