PDA

View Full Version : VersaLaser Rotary and small items

Todd Schwartz
11-06-2007, 3:55 PM
I have been asked to engrave some hand make duck calls. Figured I would just lay them flat and engrave like I would a pen and that is the expectation that has been set. But..... looking at the call design it is a great design to do some rotary work. The issue is I have never been able to do this small of an item. The laser head will hit the rotary attachment on such a small diameter item. (Don't ask me how I know this, was lucky and only knocked off the air assist on a previous job that was a larger diameter item.)

Does anyone have a work around that will work with the VersaLaser and the ULS rotary attachment? I am using the advanced driver and think I can play some games with colors, engraving order and the z height, but am not willing to test. Can deal with the overrun during the raster part by mounting the call on cylinder.

My gut, my brain and my checkbook tell me to do them flat like I initially intended, but had to throw it out to this plethora of experience and knowledge.

Thanks,

Todd

Brian Conklin
11-06-2007, 4:16 PM
I use a 2" lens on my V-460 and have done all sorts of small items (drumsticks for one) on my rotary without any problems. Not sure why you would be having a problem hitting the rotary....maybe I'm just lucky.:confused:

Todd Schwartz
11-06-2007, 4:21 PM
In my experience the table moves to the proper z height before the head moves into position. When that happens the right hand side of the rotary attachment rises higher than the laser head. I am also using the 2" lens. Now that I am thinking about it, I have always used the standard driver since 95% of what I do with the rotary is glassware. Think that makes a difference?

Todd

Scott Shepherd
11-06-2007, 4:25 PM
Todd, I had the very same concern (as have others on this forum). It was suggested that you do the playing with colors thing as you mentioned. However, Brain's post made me pull out the calipers and do some measuring and math.

Here's what I have on mine- distance from C/L of the rotary axis to the top of the unit- 1.85" inches. Distance of the focus guage is 2.00", then from the place the guage touches to the tip of the lens assembly is .50". So technically, you could engrave something that was .35" from the C/L, or .70" in diameter. If it's 3/4" or larger, mathmatically, you should be just fine. Less than that and you'll have the interference issues.

Is the duck call less than 3/4" in diameter?

Darren Null
11-06-2007, 6:16 PM
The way I've been doing it is to take the carboard bit from toilet rolls, slice them; roll them up to the desired radius and tape them. Put one at each end of your enraving item and you won't get your head smacking against the sides.
Ugly, but it works.

Mike Mackenzie
11-06-2007, 6:51 PM
Todd,

What version of software are you using? You should be able to work with .500 diameter. You might have some early software and could update it in order to work with this issue.

Scott Shepherd
11-06-2007, 6:59 PM
Mike, how does that work, based on the math I did? (Not questioning, just curious)

Mark Winlund
11-06-2007, 7:03 PM
I have engraved toothpicks. Leave the nosecone off, and get yourself a drill chuck with a 1/4" female mount. (or have it made). Use this instead of the existing cone. As has been said, use the longest lens you have.

Mark

Todd Schwartz
11-06-2007, 7:13 PM
Just measured my setup, exactly the same as Scott's. Which in theory means that if I remove my backsweep air assist, I should be okay. Hummm, maybe we are on to something.

A "dahhh" moment came to me on the way home - I should be able to set my Z for manual focus, allowing me to drive instead of hoping that all those hard metal parts do not run into each other.

Mike, here is my version info:
From my VersaLaser Control Panel 1.28.5
From my Advanced Driver screen "ULS 2005-12-15 WIN XP/2000 V1.07n".

Which leads to another question I have been meaning to ask - I see that ULS has new lasers out that advertises new software - can I upgrade to this new software? should I? If so, how?

Thanks,

Todd

Mike Mackenzie
11-06-2007, 8:51 PM
Todd,

You have current versions of the software when ever you use the rotary you should remove any air assist cone or back sweep option. you can still run the air if you want but the cone and back sweep limit your Z depth.

Also the new software is a combination of the advanced driver and the materials based driver. This software will only work with the new systems due to the change in electronics in order to make them ROHS compliant.

Scott we would use a 2.5 inch Len's to get down to that diameter we would also use different cones if necessary and also have a rotary chuck that we can use as well.

We have chucked up a metal medical stint that had a vein on it and rastered one side of the tissue away so that it would insert into a matching vein and then be secured together. The application did not work very well due to the inconsistencies of tissue. It was fun trying but it sure smelled bad.

Todd Schwartz
11-06-2007, 9:53 PM
Mike - thank you - appreciate your depth of knowledge and willingness to share. Think I may be set to go.

Todd

Tony Williams
11-07-2007, 4:12 AM
I would like your imput on a laser, I know little about one but plan to purchase one in the very near future, very soon I looked at the V 460 and thought something along this line would be great for my print shop, should I buy a UL laser or Epilog or does it mattter, I'm a rookie thanks Tony

Scott Shepherd
11-07-2007, 1:55 PM
Tony, I didn't compare the V-460, but I did compare the Helix vs. PLS4.60 in this thread :

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=67576&highlight=PLS4.60

Hope that helps. Before you buy anything, get some files together of actual things you'll be doing and get a demo from both of them (or anyone else). There is no substitute for running your own files in a demo versus seeing the canned demos running that have been fine tuned to perfection (which is not the real world environment you'll probably live in if you're anything like me).

Mike Mackenzie
11-07-2007, 3:08 PM
The V460 and the PLS4.60 are very similar in construction the only real difference is software and the electronics due to the ROHS requirements.

Tony Williams
11-07-2007, 6:35 PM
I am about to purchase a laser, anyone with and help or suggestions is appreciated, I plan on gettting about a 18 x 24 table with 50 watts. I am new at this any suggestions on what I should practice on cutting on my new venture. I have a print shop and would like to do some different things to market any help greatly appreciated. Tony