PDA

View Full Version : New Table Saw

mike wacker
11-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Finally got 3 out of 4 off to college so there seems to be a little time to make some sawdust. I've been dusting off the tools and cleaningout the Garage to set up my tools. I'm building some cabinets, Birch ply and Polar Face-frames to be painted. The weakest link in my 25 year-old collection of tools seems to be my Tablesaw. It is a 20 year old 8 1/4 Makita portable saw. Great for it's purpose but not up to what I'd like to "graduate to". A $2000 Cabinet saw is not in the budget. (I did mention I still have 3 in college didn't I?) I figure I can get away with 5 or 600 bucks.

I've used a Delta Portable ($5hundred something at the Borg) on a framing job I helped out on a couple of years ago. Seemed bullet proof and rediculously accurate for what it was.

Given that I have $600 max to spend, what are all your opinions on various saws in this price range. Woodcraft had a Steelcity saw that was $800 but I'm breaking my own rules going there. I think I want to sell my Makita (repair shop thought he could get me $175 which is part of my $600) and this type of saw will still allow me to have a portable unit. Obviously I want a real TS but can't go there for a while. So whats your favorite $500 to $600 Portable saw?

Mike Henderson
11-06-2007, 11:12 AM
I don't have any specific saws to recommend but I'd strongly recommend getting one with a riving knife (not a splitter but a real riving knife) for safety reasons. I don't know if they make one with a riving knife in your budget range, however.

Mike

John Shuk
11-06-2007, 11:20 AM
The Rigid is readily available to most people and has gotten great reviews by most users.
The built in mobile base is a great addition as well.
I have a Rigid jointer and if the quality of the tablesaw is similar it a nice machine.
You might be able to pick up a Biesmeyer snap in splitter down the road but for $550 this is very nice machine.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100007962

Greg Cole
11-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Unless you need a portable for space reasons or for taking it on the road... you might be well served to snoop around for a used one.
The usual haunts can turn up some gems if you aren't in a hurry.....

Cheers,
Greg

Aaron Frank
11-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Mike,

The new Bosch 4100 gets good reviews. It falls within your budget and as Mike Henderson suggested, it has a riving knife.

I don't own this saw, but has been considering it.

Good luck
Aaron

mike wacker
11-06-2007, 5:29 PM
Stopped at Rockler on the way home this afternoon. They had a delta contracters saw with a T2 fence, Cast Iron table extensions and build in mobile base for $599. Left hand tilt. too. Any one have any experience with this saw. Pro/Cons, thoughts? With the mobile base at this price I could consider keeping the Mikita for those times I have to be mobile.

Greg Cole
11-06-2007, 5:42 PM
Mike,
Pretty sure thats the same saw sitting out in our shop here at work used for making machine crates etc. I'd say for the price its a good machine and will serve you well.... ours is very smooth and I don't think the T2 is a bad offering for stock on a contractor saw anyway.
It's about the same as the General I have at home without the bells n whistles I've put on it but 1/2 HP less IIRC. And you won't miss that unless you are ripping thicker stock, it will sure be a step up from many of portable saws.

Greg

Craig Di Bias
11-06-2007, 8:35 PM
Stopped at Rockler on the way home this afternoon. They had a delta contracters saw with a T2 fence, Cast Iron table extensions and build in mobile base for $599. Left hand tilt. too. Any one have any experience with this saw. Pro/Cons, thoughts? With the mobile base at this price I could consider keeping the Mikita for those times I have to be mobile.

I recently purchased that very saw, from Rockler no less, and am very pleased with it. Would prefer a Unisaw but with my current budget and space constraints I think it is a great alternate. I was initially concerned about the fence, but the T2 has proven to be quite acceptable. Assembly of the stand is extensive but not difficult.

By the way, great site you guys have here. Lots of great information.

Bill Huber
11-07-2007, 12:47 AM
Woodcraft has a JET 10" Workshop Table Saw Model 708100
for $499 and there is a 5% off thing this month.
I was looking at the saw and its not to bad looking, it does have steel extensions but the rest of the top is cast iron. The fence good and it has a stand with wheels on it.
I am thinking about replacing my 54 year old 8 inch Craftsman.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5852

Norman Hitt
11-07-2007, 3:24 AM
Mike, you might want to take a look at this announcement from Steel City and see if anything fits into your price range. Looks like some pretty deep discounts to get ready for the new models they are coming out with, ie; granite tables, riving knives, etc.

Anyhow, just another thought. (I don't know if they have a sale on a contractor type saw or not). Guess you would just have to check with a Steel City Dealer in your area.

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/homepage/Announcements_a.pdf

James Waters
11-07-2007, 8:22 AM

I have this same saw also with the same fence. I was recently fortunate enough to come across a used rockwell unisaw so it has replaced that saw.

That being said I have absolutely no complaints about the smaller Delta saw, especially for the price. I ran it pretty hard for about two years and it did all I ever asked of it. 1 1/2" ash and oak, as well as more normal thicknesses without any problems. It obviously does not have the power of the bigger saws but t cut through everything. Did have to slow down a little obviously on the thicker stuff but I am also not running thin kerf blades which I'm sure would make those cuts much easier.

Also, should you ever have a need to do some offsite work they are very easy to move. Again, IMHO I was very happy with the saw and the price is right. I have had to make very few adjustments at all on the saw. Any additional questions I would be happy to try to answer.

Steve Wargo
11-07-2007, 9:09 AM
I only paid $300 for my 1960's Unisaw about 6 years ago. I ended up putting in another $175 in new belts and a good saw blade. A few hours cleaning it and aligning it and it worked great. That comes in well under your budget, and While I don't own mine anymore I never regret the purchase of it.