PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking Table Top

Ralph Wilson
11-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I'm relatively new to woodworking and I'm building a table. I made the base out of red oak because it was plentiful and about half the price of birch or beech. I know that most table tops are made out of the latter two wood types. Is there some reason that I should not make the top out of red oak?

Norman Pyles
11-06-2007, 11:01 AM
Of the three woods you mentioned, I would use the oak.

Gary Keedwell
11-06-2007, 11:35 AM
There just seems to be certain woods that stand alone for certain applications. Maple IMNSHO seems to fit all the criteria for a great workbench top. Tight-grained, tough, fairly stable, finishes good ( oil- wax) and looks just right.:)
Gary

Glenn Clabo
11-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Ralph,
The only real issue with red oak is it has coarser grain. However, it's a minor problem so I'd go for it if that what's in your price range.

John Karam
11-06-2007, 11:58 AM
I've typically seen maple used for work benches but i cant think of a reason not to use oak.

Not to thread jack but since we are on the subject of work benches, what would you guys say about Alder table tops? i happen to have a lot of that around and was planning on using it for a work bench.

Craig D Peltier
11-06-2007, 12:14 PM
I've typically seen maple used for work benches but i cant think of a reason not to use oak.

Not to thread jack but since we are on the subject of work benches, what would you guys say about Alder table tops? i happen to have a lot of that around and was planning on using it for a work bench.

I know alot of upholsterers and couch builders use alder because it tends to not warp I believe.

Charles Wiggins
11-06-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm relatively new to woodworking and I'm building a table. I made the base out of red oak because it was plentiful and about half the price of birch or beech. I know that most table tops are made out of the latter two wood types. Is there some reason that I should not make the top out of red oak?

Ralph,

To clarify, are you building a shop table, like an assembly table? Or your bench?
For a table I would probably use MDF over a frame with a hardwood skirt. For an assembly table, I would do a stressed skin out of MDF like Marc Spagnuolo (See episodes 18 & 19 at http://thewoodwhisperer.com/archive). For a bench top I would probably go with laminated maple or beech.

Jerry Olexa
11-06-2007, 2:38 PM
Oak would not be my first choice but it'll work fine if you have it in the shop..It has a rough grain but is very hard.

Gary Keedwell
11-06-2007, 3:29 PM
Oak would not be my first choice but it'll work fine if you have it in the shop..It has a rough grain but is very hard.
I would think long and hard about making a bench top with whatever you have hanging around. Most woodworkers spend alot of time at their bench. I know I do. It almost gets personal. I went to 4 different sources to obtain all the materials for my bench because I look at it and use it every day and expect to have it for the rest my life.
That being said, everybody is different and some people have a few benches before they make that special one.;)
Gary.

Brian Hale
11-06-2007, 4:17 PM
I kinda like oak for a bench top.

At least so far ;)

Brian :)

Greg Muller
11-06-2007, 4:35 PM
Brian,
That is absolutely gorgeous! I want one!:o puhleeeezzzze???

Ralph Wilson
11-07-2007, 3:36 PM
I appreciate all the "food for thought" regarding my request for input on my table top. The fact is, I have a source for red oak at least 1/2 the price I would have to pay for maple, birch, or beech. I was still unsure of which way to go until I saw Brian Hale's bench. You sold me Brian.
Thanks guys.