PDA

View Full Version : Finished my lumber rack.

Dan Forman
11-06-2007, 5:50 AM
Well, after much thought and toil, I got my lumber up off the floor, where it had been taking up much of the space in this small room in my basement. Now I will be able to use this area for assembly and spray finishing.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1010695.jpg

The rack is the standard 2x4 with 1/2" iron pipe, set in 7/8" holes drilled 2" deep and at about a 3 degree angle. Thin walled pvc pipe was cut and placed over the iron pipe, to protect the wood from staining. I left the orange caps on the outside end of the pipe as protection for my head if I have a lapse of attention when digging through the pile.

The room was "finished" in dubious fashion by a previous owner, so I decided against my initial plan, which was to anchor to the studs behind the paneling. Instead I ended up pulling down a little of the ceiling (cheap carboard crap, so no loss there) and fastening the 2x4's directly to the ceiling joists, running them right down to the floor, so that the weight is on the floor instead of the wall. Thanks to those forumites who gave me advice on this.

Dan

Don Bullock
11-06-2007, 7:58 AM
It looks good Dan. You have quite a bit of wood.

Jim Becker
11-06-2007, 10:18 AM
Nice job, Dan! That's sure does the job very well.

Randy Denby
11-06-2007, 10:28 AM
wow, that looks heavy. Glad you built it solidly....good job

Greg Cole
11-06-2007, 10:55 AM
I love the feeling of making useful space from "storage" (aka chit piles at my house).
Looks good, nice job Dan.
And tee hee, "you've got wood" :D

Greg

Dan Forman
11-06-2007, 6:08 PM
Thnks for your comments. I still have holes drilled for one more shelf on the very bottom, but ran out of pipe. I think the bottom will be reserved for smaller cutoffs and misc. pieces. It's kind of scary knowing how much weight is being held aloft, but it seems to be holding, no creaks, groans, nor crashing sounds in the night.

Dan

Chris Padilla
11-06-2007, 6:16 PM
Well, if there was a "thumbs up smily", I'd give ya two! :D