PDA

View Full Version : Dyed and textured

Mike Vickery
11-06-2007, 12:10 AM
This is actually a mistake that I tried to salvage.

The wood underneath is African Sumac and it is 11.5 x 2 It was dyed with Acrylic artist ink cut with DNA and finished with Shellac

I had a lot of trouble getting a good photo on this so you will have to forgive me. You cant tell on the picture but the recessed band has a dimpled texture. The original idea was to just color the band black and leave the rest of it natural colred with the texture. However I had the black bleed onto the surface of the piece so just dyed it all black.

Comments and critiques are alway appreciated.

Personally I think it turned out pretty good for a save but not 100% in love with it. I may try this again, I think I could to a better job on the dye and finish.

Jon Lanier
11-06-2007, 12:57 AM
I'd say that was a great save! I like it.

Alex Elias
11-06-2007, 3:15 AM
I think it is a very nice piece. As far a the finish is concerned. Do you think that if you try to dye the band first and then sand and texture the bowl would work?
I think that when you dye first since the band is recesed you could sand the surface without toucheing the colored band and sand the bleeding away. Then do the texture. I sounds easy but who know I might be crazy.
Congrats
Alex

Jim Becker
11-06-2007, 8:59 AM
"Save" is a gross understatement. This is a wonderful piece, Mike. Really. I really love the time and effort that goes in to the texturing on a turning like this and you've done it very nicely.

Steve Schlumpf
11-06-2007, 9:09 AM
Looks great to me!!

When something is dyed a dark color - it hides the grain of the piece and allows you to see the form without any distractions. In this case the form is excellent, the texturing gives the bowl movement and the single band breaks the flow of the texturing in order to highlight the sharp rim detail!

You should be happy with this one Mike! Very nice work!

George Guadiane
11-06-2007, 9:35 AM
The fact that it didn't follow your directions only helps redefine success, in my mind. I'd be pleased if I had done that!

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2007, 9:39 AM
That is a beauty. Great save.

Nancy Laird
11-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Mike, I love the form, I love the recessed band, I love the rim. I'm still mulling over whether I like the black. Hmmmmmm:confused: . I'll have to get back to you on that.

Nancy (45 days)

Ed Scolforo
11-06-2007, 3:48 PM
That's a nice piece, Mike.

Tom Sherman
11-06-2007, 5:05 PM
Pretty cool Mike, if you hadn't told us I would never have know you didn't intend it to be this way. Great job.

Brian Weick
11-06-2007, 5:07 PM
Mr Vickery, You did a great job on that- I'm definitly going to give this bowl turning some thought- I'd like to try it- who knows maybe over the weekend? Nice work Mike.:)
Brian

Frank Kobilsek
11-06-2007, 5:28 PM
Mike

I tried the dyed band thing several times and several different ways and always add 'blooming' somewhere I did not want it. One of the things I wanted to dye was a textured band on the rim or face of a plate. The dye would travel thru the end grain and come out on the edge of the plate. I tried sealing the wood but then I could not get the intensity of the color I wanted with the dye. Paint appears to be the only way to do what you are attempting, but paint just seems to heavy for me and I doubt its durable enough for a utility plate.

I like dye much better than paint because you can see the grain thru the dye. I bet there is still grain showing thru your black.

There a sayig about failure and inspiration. It looks like your 'save' might be a good inspiration. I like it!

Frank

Kevin McPeek
11-06-2007, 9:09 PM
Looks nice, I want to see it in person before I give too much praise though ;)
If it's like your others I'm sure its something to be proud of.

Neal Addy
11-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Beautiful save, Mike. Your curvature is dead-on. I like the dye.

Richard Madison
11-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Mike,
The form is beautiful, and/but the texturing is amazing. Would you consider telling us how you did it?

Brett Baldwin
11-07-2007, 1:03 AM
You are bringing this to the meeting this month right? I have a feeling that picture isn't really doing it justice. What I do see is great.

Mike Vickery
11-07-2007, 1:11 AM
Mike,
The form is beautiful, and/but the texturing is amazing. Would you consider telling us how you did it?

Richard - I have the Sorby Textureing tool and that is what I used on this. The medium spiraling wheel was held at about a 45 degree angle to get the spiral texture that is on the outside and inside of the piece. The textureing wheel was held vertical for the dimpled texture on the band.

Nancy - You mentioned something about betting the grain showed through. With the fine textureing their really would not have been much grain to see. Once I went to all black I was aiming for a black uruchi laquered look on this like you often see from Japan. After dyeing it I actually added black ink to the first coat of shellac kind of like a toner coat for furniture. Their is little visual evidence that this was ever wood.

Everyone else thanks for all of the kind words. My only problem with the piece is the finish. I think I should have thinned the shellac more. I got a slight build up on the outside of the rim in a couple places. Not really bad but definately noticeable on close inspection. Hopefully I learned something and can do a little better job next time.

Richard Madison
11-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Thanks Mike.

Mike Vickery
11-08-2007, 1:09 AM
Well maybe I was being a little hard on it. I did a local art walk tonight and good thing Kevin stopped by or he would not have got to see it in person.
I thought I was going to get shunked but I sold this a really small Acacia bowl and a pen in the last 10 minutes of the show.

Brett Baldwin
11-08-2007, 4:22 PM
Well I'm dissapointed that I won't get to see it but congrats on the sales.