PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder and Blackwood

Neal Addy
11-06-2007, 12:00 AM
My first turning from Box Elder. What a great wood to turn! This came from a blank I'm hoping to get two more HF's from. This will be the least flamed of the three.

Box Elder with Blackwood pedestal and collar. 7-1/2" x 3-3/4". SAC, buffified.

Kinda difficult to get decent pictures of a tall piece like this. I tried to get the best viewing angles.

Comments and/or critiques welcome.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/addylo/IMG_4564.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/addylo/IMG_4567.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g73/addylo/IMG_4563.jpg

Jon Lanier
11-06-2007, 12:58 AM
Gorgeous.... can't wait to see your other turning will be like of the other Box Elder.

Alex Elias
11-06-2007, 3:08 AM
That sure is a nice piece. I'ts difficult to get something as pleasing as that. Love the shapes and detail.
The first picture is the one I like the most, it show great detail.
Congrats

RL Johnson
11-06-2007, 3:50 AM
Neal
Great piece! I would like to make one suggestion though, why don't you make a finial top for it? I would like to see the bottom part of your support, from the large ball on down, placed on the top. I have seen some of the other finial tops you make and I really enjoy them. Now if you can only show me how you do it.:D

Paul Andrews
11-06-2007, 7:13 AM
Neal,

Absolutely perfect in every aspect. Can't wait to see the others.

Gary Herrmann
11-06-2007, 8:00 AM
Can't really add anything. Great proportions and shape.

Steve Schlumpf
11-06-2007, 9:00 AM
Beautiful piece Neal! Great design, wonderful finish and really like the detail work on the pedestal! Saved to my favorites - your folder is starting to get quite large!!

Jim Becker
11-06-2007, 9:01 AM
Very nice!

A little chuckle...when I first started scrolling down (since the images are large), I almost thought that you posted the picture upside down, not knowing that it was a pedestal piece. I'm glad that wasn't the case as I really like what you did here!!!

Bernie Weishapl
11-06-2007, 9:40 AM
Neal that is beautiful. Great piece, wood, and finish.

George Guadiane
11-06-2007, 9:50 AM
Very nice!

A little chuckle...when I first started scrolling down (since the images are large), I almost thought that you posted the picture upside down, not knowing that it was a pedestal piece. I'm glad that wasn't the case as I really like what you did here!!!
Try to see this the way I mean it... I like the piece, and the quality of your work, as far as it goes, but I thought it might be upside down too... When I did get a grasp of the whole piece (you asked for critique) I thought the top might be on the side, or in another picture. . . As lovely as it is (and it IS outstanding) I think it needs a finial. The pedestal/foot is VERY nice, nice detail, nice form, but it overpowers the HF (IMHO). The hollow form is well done, nice from nice wood, but not as "defined" (can't think of a better word) as the foot, which is SO well done that it distracts from what I think should be the focus...> The whole piece, top to bottom. A finial would bring the eye up again to look more at the whole thing, not just the pedestal. It would also create anticipation looking from the top down
Great pictures too, by the way. Good lighting, focus, angles. Well done.

Neal Addy
11-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the nice comments, folks.

Randy, you asked the magic question. This was originally going to get a finial but I fought the feeling. On this piece a finial would change the look entirely. The piece currently has a feeling of elevation about it that the pics don't accurately reflect. I thought that a finial would be over the top, and accentuate the height more than I wanted.

I could still be tempted. To finial or not to finial (can I use it as a verb? :D ) is always a difficult choice for me.

Mike Vickery
11-06-2007, 12:58 PM
The piece is definately beautiful and the workmanship is top notch. The details on the base are great. I am not sure I like how high it is, but I am pretty traditional when it comes shape.

Dean Matthews
11-06-2007, 2:40 PM
I actually like it being top heavy. There is something about pieces that appear to be defying gravity.

Does it feel stable when standing like that? I mean... do you feel worried that it is going to tip or anything or did it balance out just right?

Looks great to me. I love the contrasts in the wood.

Dan Forman
11-06-2007, 3:24 PM
I thought that a finial would be over the top,

Neal---Was that word play intended? :D

This is just a splendid piece. When I first saw it, I was immediately reminded of a hot air balloon, with the base appearing to hold the form down, rather than up. I see what you mean by the sense of "elevation" I don't get a sense of top "heavy" at all. It is truly elegant, and very unique...at least I can't recall seeing anything like this before, though I am just getting into turning and there are probably many things out there that would be new to me.

If this were to get a finial, I would think it would have to be very subtle so as not to disrupt the air of lightness of the form. Such a modest little "cap" might tie the whole thing together, or might ruin the balloon effect. Guess you would just have to try it and see if it would work.

Dan

Tom Sherman
11-06-2007, 4:59 PM
Neal I like it, BE is awesome wood and the combination with the Blackwood is outstanding. Love the detail of the pedestal.

RL Johnson
11-06-2007, 9:15 PM
Neal
When you bring it to the club meeting Thursday, remember we are meeting the 15th this month, I can look at it in person and we can discuss finials. Even without a finial, it is a great piece of wood and your workmanship is excellent. Keep those pictures coming.

Alex Cam
11-06-2007, 9:19 PM
Neal, that's a great piece. Very well done. The detail on the pedistal is fantastic.

Blake McCully
11-07-2007, 8:48 AM
Neal,
Wonderful piece. I'm not talented enough to critique but when looking at it I wondered what a piece like that would look like if the top were more globular, more spherical. If you try anything like that I'd really like to see it.

Great piece.

Skip Spaulding
11-07-2007, 7:53 PM
WOW!, love the detail and contrast, I wouldn't change anything.

Bob Hallowell
11-07-2007, 9:04 PM
Neal, I think it is stunning.
Bob

Lonnie Harkins
11-07-2007, 9:24 PM
Box Elder is some very pretty wood. Gorgeous colors.

Pat Doble
11-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Stunningly beautiful piece Neal. Gorgeous shape and detail in the pedestal/base and I like just the small blackwood rim detail at the top. The small amount of flame is perfect - it doesn't overwhelm the piece, which might happen with a lot of red and a shape like this.

(BE is my favorite from the handful of woods I've turned so far - which is fortunate since it's been the subject of my largest two free wood scores).

Absolutely great piece.

Anthony Yakonick
11-09-2007, 10:50 PM
Nice Work!!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-10-2007, 9:29 AM
Neal....the form, the finish........Excellent!

Scott Hubl
11-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Once again Neal your talent and artistic "eye" have produced another fine work of Art.

Always look forward to seeing your latest works.

Nicely done.