PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Olive?

Don Robert
11-05-2007, 6:07 PM
On Friday (three days ago) I got some wood from my daughter's neighbor who was cutting down an olive tree. The wood had the ordinary, light yellowish, bland appearance when freshly cut. I immediately coated all the cut surfaces with Anchorseal (Woodraft's version). Within one day the wood started showing some reds, yellows and oranges (the color, not the fruit). Now three days later the wood is just beautiful showing even stronger reds, yellows and oranges. I turned a piece yesterday (2 days after cutting) and, of course, the newly exposed wood goes back to a light, bland appearance. I immersed the piece in DNA and now have it on the drying rack. So far (one day after turning) the colors have not reappeared. Anyone have any experience with olive? Will the colors reappear with time? Did the DNA flush out all the colors (the leftover didn't look any more discolored than normal)? If they do not appear naturally, will a solvent-based coating bring them out again? I would love for the turnings from this tree to show the coloring that the raw stock has.

Ron McKinley
11-05-2007, 6:24 PM
I've only turned dry olive so can't help you with the colors. The best part of turning olive is that is smells like olives and makes me want a martini! ....Ron

Dean Matthews
11-05-2007, 6:35 PM
Are you sure the colors were not a reaction to the sealer you put on there?

The only olive I have played with is for pens so that stuff was dry. It started out a pale yellow and darkened to what I can only descibe as a very pale mustard color. The grain is awesome though. The pieces I have had have streaks of black through the grain.

The shop does reek of olives afterwards though... I am Sicilian and it was too much for me. =) Still beats the smell of turning that plastic stuff.

Have any pictures?

robert hainstock
11-05-2007, 7:09 PM
LIKE DEAN, I'VE ONLY TURNED DRY OLIVEWOOD. IT IS FAIRLY COLORFUL. BUT VERY OILY. REQUIRES PATIENCE IN GETTING A DECENT FINISH. GOOD LUCK.:mad:
BOB

Don Robert
11-05-2007, 7:10 PM
Dean: No, I am not sure whether the coloring is a reaction to the sealer (water-based wax emulsion, but could have some other chemicals in it) or not. That is why I am asking. If it's a result of the sealing, I have got to find a way to put on a durable final finish with this sealer. I'll agree, the grain is terrific - I got pieces from the crotch as well as the trunk (the latter must have been about 20" in diameter). I have included some pictures. One of the pictures shows some (nearly) blood red droplets that have seeped through the coating. These came out of the end grain at only some of the tree rings, but not all. Several of the pieces have them.

Dean Matthews
11-05-2007, 7:47 PM
hmmm... I wonder if the chainsaw used had some "colored" oil and that is what came out.

I am going to guess what you are seeing in the droplets are the dried wax stuff. that is all I can think of. All of the Olivewood I have ever seen has been yellow to tanish in color. I even have a set of Rosary Beads that were brought back from the Holy Land that are the dark yellowish color.

I also googled olivewood and most sites state the color as this:

Color varies in each piece. Alternating white and dark brown streaks.

I would think if you wanted to maintain the grain figure but get that color out of the olivewood you could do it with some sort of tinted wax during finishing.

Bill Stevener
11-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Hi Don, I have posted the sight noted below a number of times in hopes that it helps others resolving some unanswered questions they may have regarding wood.

The sight has some 17,000 plus photos, with over 680 species. It may take some time to load, however well worth the time.

Take the time to read about the sight, very informative, I am sure you will enjoy. Be sure to pass it along to others.

Best regards, Bill. :)

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/indextotal.htm

Jon Lanier
11-06-2007, 1:47 PM
I'm not sure about the color change. I do know that Olive tree wood in the same species can come out differently depending on soil/climate/elevation. The same species that grows in Bethelem, Jerusalem, and Nazerath have different characteristics. Bethelem and Jerusalem are strong in color while Nazerath is softer and creamier.

I've yet to see any Olive wood compare to Bethelem and Jerusalem here in the USA.

Rich Stewart
11-08-2007, 8:33 PM
I have used several different types of olivewood and I like it. I never put a finish on it. Just sand to about 400, buff it and it comes out beautiful. One of my favorites.

Don Robert
11-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I have done some experimentation:

a. Tung oil doesn't do anything to bring out the deep colors although it does "pop" the grain some. But olive grain doesn't need much "poping" as it is already distinctive.

b. The Woodcraft Green Wood Sealer turns the olive wood to deep reds, oranges and yellows. I like the effect but I have not noted this type of behavior in pecan, the only other species of wood that I have cut green and sealed myself.

I will try to determine what in the sealer might be causing the color "enhancement."

Bill, Thanks for the web site - I am familiar with it and have had it bookmarked for some time. There are lots of pictures of olive wood, but only a couple that show colors like I get with the sealer.

Thanks to all who responded for all the advice and interest.