PDA

View Full Version : Best Sanding Block

Gary Keedwell
11-05-2007, 5:04 PM
I have been on a mini-quest for a good sanding block. I have all shapes and sizes and was not happy. Finally, a few months ago I ordered one called the Preppin'Weapon. This is the one:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=16762&filter=37998
This sanding block is ingenious. The clip on each end actually stretches the paper as you tighten it. Works great with water, too. ;)
Gary

Darren Fast
11-05-2007, 5:26 PM
I haven't tried the Preppin Weapon, but I've had great success with the Veritas sanding block from Lee Valley. Very well designed with an ergonomic shape that seems to fit my hand perfectly so that I don't get that cramping feeling in my hand after I've sanded a large piece. Uses 1/6th of a piece of sandpaper and has a spring system to keep the paper tight with a simple thumbscrew.

Gary Keedwell
11-05-2007, 5:39 PM
I haven't tried the Preppin Weapon, but I've had great success with the Veritas sanding block from Lee Valley. Very well designed with an ergonomic shape that seems to fit my hand perfectly so that I don't get that cramping feeling in my hand after I've sanded a large piece. Uses 1/6th of a piece of sandpaper and has a spring system to keep the paper tight with a simple thumbscrew.
I like and own alot of LV stuff but I think Preppin' Weapon has a leg up on them. I was doing some wet sanding last nite and it works great. Fits your hand good, too. I'm thinking of getting a few more and disignating each one for different grits of sandpaper. One catolog sells them in various colors.
Gary

Bruce Page
11-05-2007, 7:54 PM
You guys will probably laugh but I have been using 3M’s 3-1/4" Stikit Sanding Block and paper for years. I have 4 or 5 of them for different grits. They are easy on the hands and the paper is pretty good too.

Howie French
11-05-2007, 9:30 PM
I purchased the same sanding block last year... Hartville tools sells all 4 colors - green, blue, red ,yellow on sale now for $16.92. This has been one of my better purchases....really a great sanding block. I love using it, I will be purchasing some more as well.

Howie

glenn bradley
11-06-2007, 12:16 AM
I use HF rubber blocks that go on sale regularly for about a buck. They are much better than the $5 professional versions. They are the flap-n-nail style so if the fact that the paper is tightened is desirable, they would not be a good thing. For me they've been great.

I have wondered about the preppin weapon and appreciate the review. They look pretty cool in the catalog, good to hear that they truly are.

Don Bullock
11-06-2007, 8:04 AM
I have a Preppin'Weapon in each of the four colors they come in. They're color coded for different grits. Each one is loaded up with several sheets of paper. They are always ready for a project and if I wear out a sheet while I'm sanding I just have to remove the top sheet. No more stopping and cutting new sheets of sandpaper in the middle of a project. They work out great.