PDA

View Full Version : Which Jointer Plane

Michael Schwartz
11-05-2007, 4:56 PM
I had a chance to flatten out a 12" x 30" board today with a Lie Neilson #7 jointer and I have to say that I am about ready to pull the plug on one as it was an amazing plane to work with.

I own a LN Low angle jack and I love the concept of low angle planes. For this reason I am also tempted by the LN Low angle jointer or the Veritas low angle jointer.

I am tempted to get the Veritas low angle jointer but I am wondering how the tolerances especially the flatness of the sole and squarenes to the sides are compared to the LN.

The LN is really great but I am not sure about the 435$ price tag.

Gary Herrmann
11-05-2007, 5:11 PM
My LV la jointer is dead flat and square.

Joe Meazle
11-05-2007, 5:16 PM
My LV BU jointer is flatter than keg beer three days after the party.

Glenn Madsen
11-05-2007, 6:47 PM
Are you looking for a technical reason to choose one over the other? 'cause I haven't got one of those.

I have got LN, and LV and old Stanleys, and they all behave, pretty well. Any of them are easily good enough to do the work.

The Low Angle tools are easier to tweak with extra blades at different angles, although there are folks who claim to do that as well with the standard LN Bedrock designs. And that's what I've done with the smoother I bought from LV - bought extra irons set up at different angles. I'm happy.

But then I'm pretty easy to please most days, anyhow.

I use, for jointing, an old Stanley 8 that I got from the toolseller of Ashby, MA a couple of years back. Not so much bling on that beast, but the money I saved, I used to buy an LN 85. Lotsa show off in that tool.:D

Andrew Homan
11-05-2007, 8:12 PM

FYI if price is the issue for comparison in the choice of jointers, you need to look around some more. $435 is $35 more than LN charges direct for the #7, and there is at least one source that charges as little as $370 including shipping.
Good luck with your search,
Andy

Steve Wargo
11-05-2007, 10:45 PM
I recommend that you try some out first. There are some people that simply don't like the ergonomics of some planes. Lee Valleys and Lie Nielsens are very different from one another. Good luck.

Pam Niedermayer
11-05-2007, 10:58 PM
I recommend a wooden jointer, like those from C&W (Clark & Williams) or ECE or a try plane from HNT Gordon.

Pam

Lee Hingle
11-06-2007, 12:54 AM
I recommend a wooden jointer, like those from C&W (Clark & Williams) or ECE or a try plane from HNT Gordon.

Pam

Pam,
FYI - Clark & Williams has about a 2 year waiting list if I remember correctly.
Lee

Pam Niedermayer
11-06-2007, 8:10 AM
Pam,
FYI - Clark & Williams has about a 2 year waiting list if I remember correctly.
Lee

Ah, yes, the price of success, should tell you how good they are. While you wait, why not pick up an ECE which is 23-24". The C&W is about 30".

Pam

Lewis Moon
11-06-2007, 8:52 AM
I have a sweet SR&LCo. Stanley #7C with a Millers Jointer Fence and two Hock blades (one with a 12 degree back bevel) that I just love, although I will cop to never having tried a LN or LV. I flattened the sole on a piece of 1" MDF with 4 sheets of 220 grit sandpaper spray glued on it. The whole shebang cost me less than $180. I can consistantly get beautiful edges that I can lay a 4' Starrett straight edge on with no light peeking out.

David Weaver
11-06-2007, 9:04 AM
I had a chance to flatten out a 12" x 30" board today with a Lie Neilson #7 jointer and I have to say that I am about ready to pull the plug on one as it was an amazing plane to work with.

I own a LN Low angle jack and I love the concept of low angle planes. For this reason I am also tempted by the LN Low angle jointer or the Veritas low angle jointer.

I am tempted to get the Veritas low angle jointer but I am wondering how the tolerances especially the flatness of the sole and squarenes to the sides are compared to the LN.

I have a bailey #8 jointer, and a buddy has a LN jointer. They both do about the same job now that I've fettled mine for almost 8 hours, but his feels a lot better doing it. I spent $200 total on getting my #8 up to speed (new japanning, new chipbreaker, new iron...), and if I had to do the whole thing over, I would buy the LN #8 and skip the fettling of the bottom of a #8.

If I'm in your position and I feel like I'm going to do a lot of wwing for a while (and I joint all of my long board with a plane rather than my small 6" jointer - easier to keep the big part still and use the small part of the equation), I would opt to spend the money for a LN #8 and make it a dedicated jointer. Thebestthings.com and craftsmanstudio.com both have prices that are close to what you're saying for the #7, and more plane on big boards is always nice.

By keeping the big part still and using the small part, I mean if the board is a lot bigger than my power jointer, then I'm going to opt to make it stationary and use the tool instead. I still use the power jointer for shorter boards when I want fast or accuracy and tearout aren't as big of issues.

Bob Jones
11-06-2007, 8:33 PM
I bought the LN #8 from craftsmanstudio.com. It is my most expensive tool - but it was worth every dollar. I can flatten very large boards, and it is a lot of fun to use. Best part- no tuning required on this masssive thing!

Rye Crane
11-06-2007, 8:46 PM
If you like the low angle planes why not the LN 71/2 jointer its priced at 295.00 plus shipping, weighs over 7 lbs. and does a fine job. One large block plane at that.

Good Luck,
Rye Crane

Eddie Darby
11-06-2007, 11:24 PM
I recommend that you try some out first. There are some people that simply don't like the ergonomics of some planes. Lee Valleys and Lie Nielsens are very different from one another. Good luck.

I'll double that!! Go to a wood show and try both, as I have run into people who like one and hate the other.

Tim Sproul
11-07-2007, 12:53 AM

I don't know the comparison. I have the Veritas low angle jointer and can easily joint faces and edges precise enough for any of my joinery needs - hand tools to machinery (saw, router, etc.). I don't have a power jointer. One advantage it has is that the blade was moved closer to the middle of the length making it effectively longer than it is. I also like to use some woodies from Steve Knight.

I have to say that getting precision out of any jointer plane requires a bit of skill out of the user. It is extremely easy to crown the edge/face you're working on when using a jointer plane. I generally only use the jointer plane in 2 situations:

1. If the stock is fairly flat to begin with to get to really flat and smooth.
2. Following a jack to get from almost flat to really flat and smooth.

Jointer planes are heavy and aren't really intended as the tool to wield all day long, IME.

Tom Vanzant
11-08-2007, 5:20 PM
My wife and kids surprized me a few years ago with a set of Steve Knight's planes... 10", 15" & 24"... all with cocobolo bodies and totes. Boards never got so flat. I also use a much-tuned up Bailey #7C with a Hoch iron/breaker set.... also very easy work to make flat boards.

Mike Narges
11-09-2007, 10:26 AM
I have two, a Weiss wooden body 24" long and a Stanely #7C with a Lee Valley jointer fence. I use both, but when dead square is absolutely critical, I use the 7C with the fence. Both work very well. I also have a 6" Ridgid power jointer which is usually more ijn the way than used. However, when there is volume jointing, it is there and well-used.

Sincerely,

Mike Narges

Jeff Craven
11-09-2007, 7:06 PM
The LN low angle jointer is only $295.00
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/catalog.php?sku=7_5

I have one and I think it is great, but it is my only jointer, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Steve knight
11-10-2007, 12:58 AM
My wife and kids surprized me a few years ago with a set of Steve Knight's planes... 10", 15" & 24"... all with cocobolo bodies and totes. Boards never got so flat. I also use a much-tuned up Bailey #7C with a Hoch iron/breaker set.... also very easy work to make flat boards.

glad to hear your still enjoying them. makes it all worth while.

Michael Schwartz
11-19-2007, 3:27 PM
I ended up getting the LN #8, and have used it to successfully flatten out a few large panels, the last one beeing 14"x32" out of cherry. So far I love it and it was worth every penny :cool: One thing is for sure is that the thing is one aircraft carrier of a plane.