PDA

View Full Version : Finally...cedar bowl and scooping technique

Brad Hammond
11-05-2007, 3:31 PM
geez!!!! i've been fighting and fighting to figure out the technique for scooping out a bowl, but i finally found a technique that will allow me to turn some thin sides to a bowl.
this cedar bowl is my first commission. measures 7in wide 3in tall. lil tung oil and a lil poly. sure cant wait for my wife to get my xmas present for me.... (trend airshield) :D that cedar dust gets everywhere! but the shop smells great!

critiques are always more than welcome!

thanx
brad

David Fried
11-05-2007, 3:34 PM
That's pretty! WIld grain and great color. Very nice job.

Nancy Laird
11-05-2007, 3:38 PM
It's a beautiful bowl, Brad. Gorgeous grain.

But are you going to share the secret of your technique???

Nancy (46 days)

Mike Vickery
11-05-2007, 3:46 PM
Very nice form on the piece, great job.

Steve Schlumpf
11-05-2007, 4:53 PM
Very nice looking bowl Brad! I like the classic form, the grain, color and finish! I'd say your technique works!

Tom Sherman
11-05-2007, 4:53 PM
Very nice Brad, Cedar does make the shop smell great.

Bob Hallowell
11-05-2007, 5:07 PM
NIce looking bowl Brad lovely color

Bob

Bernie Weishapl
11-05-2007, 5:26 PM
Great looking bowl. The grain and color are awesome. Well done.

Brad Hammond
11-05-2007, 6:58 PM
well nancy to be honest, i think i just sucked at the whole thing! ha! basic technique bill grumbine describes. i just couldnt hold my mouth right.
practice pratice practice! i think i was having a prob with the angle or my attack. my gouge kept scooting across the face of the bowl. i adjusted the angle on my gouge a little and started pushing with the bevel as opposed to truly scooping out the bowl. works mo better! so good that since writing the above post i put up a 12" sycamore bowl to dry. weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
now the shop smells like wet sycamore and cedar. that's a problem i love having!
thanx all so much for the kind comments! i've admired everyones work here so much and it's nice to hear good things from those of which i have a great deal of respect.
thanx again!
brad