PDA

View Full Version : Google calculator/converter

John W. Willis
11-05-2007, 3:16 PM
I just discovered this, by accident. Most of you probably already knew this didn't you? I entered a conversion I wanted and the first search result was the calculation. I thought that was pretty neat BUT I'm easily amused.

Calculator http://www.google.com/intl/en/images/calc_img.gif To use Google's built-in calculator function, simply enter the calculation you'd like done into the search box and hit the Enter key or click on the Google Search button. The calculator can solve math problems involving basic arithmetic, more complicated math, units of measure and conversions, and physical constants.

Jim Becker
11-05-2007, 3:23 PM
I've often used this ability for unit conversions.

Richard Magbanua
11-05-2007, 5:04 PM
Nope! I didn't know that. I just tried it and I like it. Thanks John!

Brian Kent
11-06-2007, 12:25 AM
I just tried it. I asked for 60 miles per hour in furlongs per fortnight. The answer is:

60 miles per hour = 161 280 furlongs per fortnight

Now we know!

Rod Sheridan
11-06-2007, 8:11 AM
Only a Galoot in training would use miles per hour (probably statute at that) for a conversion to furlongs per fortnight.

Those of us in the know (Metric countries) would of course have used fathoms/second/fortnight squared.

Geeze I laughed when I read your post..........Rod.

Jim Eller
11-06-2007, 10:52 AM
OK, where do I find this button? I've got the calendar and everything else but don't see the calculator. Even with a search.

Thanks.

Jason Roehl
11-06-2007, 12:09 PM
OK, where do I find this button? I've got the calendar and everything else but don't see the calculator. Even with a search.

Thanks.

No button. Just type in the conversion you want to have done in the search box and click the 'Search' button.

For instance, I have the Google search box in my browser's toolbar, and if I type in, "75 mph in km/h", I don't even have to click anything, the result shows up in a drop-down box, same is true for calculations.

Matt P
11-06-2007, 3:05 PM
That is a great little feature!

Dan Forman
11-06-2007, 4:11 PM
Does it do cubits? :D

Dan

Jason Roehl
11-06-2007, 4:23 PM
Does it do cubits? :D

Dan

Actually, yes, it does! :D (1 cubit = 18 inches)

Jim Eller
11-06-2007, 8:24 PM
Jason,

Thanks for the clarification. That's why I couldn't find any button. I guess the picture in John's tread threw me.

That's neat!! ..and fast.

Jim