PDA

View Full Version : Martinie glasses

Don Necaise
11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
This is a 2 part question. Does anyone have any easy ways of engraving on Martinie glasses? And I a wondering is ther any way of using my laser to cut out decals for automobile windows and where can i get that type of material?

Thanks

Vicky Orsini
11-05-2007, 12:16 PM
Hi Don. What type of machine are you running? Martini glasses might be an issue because of the angle but that depends on your machine and the type of rotary attachment. Is engraving the base an option for you? if so, turn the glass over and reverse-engrave the bottom of the glass. I've done this with beer mugs and wine glasses. It can look quite good, depending on the application.

Typically, vehicle graphics are done with a vinyl plotter. Rowmark does make a "sticker" type of material for the laser, but it only comes in gold or silver (unless you're willing to go through the custom order process) and I don't know how well it holds up to the elements.

Don Necaise
11-05-2007, 12:29 PM
Thanks Vicki
I am Running a Xenetech 1325 laser engraver. I have done a couple of martini glasses and jacked one end of my cylinder attachement up but it didnt come out like i wanted

Scott Shepherd
11-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Decals used for automobile glass as you mentioned are more often than not vinyl, which contains PVC, which you don't want to cut. There are people who say it's so thin the gas released won't be an issue, but it will void the warranty of most machines I have seen.

A company like www.fellers.com (http://www.fellers.com) is somewhere that sells it all, but you might want to read up on cutting vinyl before you do it to see if it's acceptable by your laser manufacturer.

Gary Hair
11-05-2007, 12:37 PM
I do all of the martini glasses for a very upscale restaurant that has a "martini club". The only way to do them is sandcarving. The angled curve is really not something I would tackle with my laser. I cut the mask with my plotter and blast away.

Gary