PDA

View Full Version : One very nervous Gringo

Jim King
11-05-2007, 11:11 AM
It was 5:30 in the afternoon last Friday and we were on the patio having a cold beer thinking how good things were going. As the Amazon is very low this time of year the ships serving our port can not always get to our city of Iquitos, Peru a little more than 2000 miles from the mouth of the Amazon. Several days earlier we had made our shipment by barge to the Three Frontiers area where Colombia , Brazil and Peru meet to be transferred to the awaiting ship.

The phone rang and it was the secretary , she had just gotten a phone call from the customs agent that one of our containers had arrived missing the official seal and it was open. Here where tons of cocaine are smuggled every month down river this is about the worst phone call a person can receive. The container has been violated for one reason or another, sabotage, smugglers, pirates , who knows but none are good..

These things don’t wait, as the secretary is the authorized person for us at the port with the customs agent she had to travel by Rapido the next morning at daylight to the border where the ship was waiting. This is a 10 hour bouncing ride down river in an Amazonian version of a Greyhound bus and another bouncing 12 hours back . My wife and I had lived in that area for 8 years and know many people so we called and had people waiting when the secretary and customs agent arrived. They were whisked away to the ship immediately to take responsibility for the open container. Upon arrival they opened the temporary lock installed by the authorities and held their breath. Everything looked in order but it is not that easy. A customs man entered the container on top of our crates of wood and inspected every nook and cranny possible and found nothing. As every container of wood leaving must have poison gas added to eliminate the chance of insect contamination the Agent almost did not get out after an hour in side.

The end result was nothing but a good scare and it appears that we are OK but just in case I have notified customs in Houston of the problem and they will inspect the container again. It appears it was pirates that boarded the convoy going down river and sawed off the lock thinking there was something to steal. When they encountered 3000 pound pallets of wood and there was nothing to steal they were detoured.

The problem with this type of problem is that if in fact contraband is found everyone remotely connected to the shipment immediately goes to jail until the investigation is over. It is no joke here. Another day in the Amazon and today everything is normal again.. The photos below will tell part of the story.

Tyler Howell
11-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Wow Jim,
Glad to hear all turned out well.
Also glad Everybody is doing there job.
Interesting tiimes we live in.

Craig D Peltier
11-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Thats scary stuff. Glad it was just a false alarm. Must of been looking for the coca tree wood.

Anthony Anderson
11-06-2007, 10:38 AM
Wow Jim, that is scary. Glad everything turned out okay. I was wondering, how were you able to ask your friends to go the port to accept the container, knowing that they could possibly be thrown into jail, say if the pirates or whoever, stashed/threw contraband into the container? Glad all are okay. Bill

Per Swenson
11-06-2007, 11:21 AM
You ain't kidding, wow!

Pirates! Smuggling! Contraband! Jail! Jungle!
Anxiety! The Amazon! Dangerous currents! Muddy Waters!
Exotic Wood!

For a Guy in Whitelandia, New Jersey, that is just great stuff.

Thanks

Per

Greg Cole
11-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Close as I come to anything related to Pirates is watching Johnny Depp with my 6 year old. :D
In the "modernized" society we (or US in the States anyway) inhabit, it's easy to forget about what happens in some of the more isolated regions of the globe.
I too deal with international freight, logistsics etc... many of the containers I import to the US are filled with industrial food processing machines and parts for them. I can tell you I deal with customs weekly and I do all I can to stay in their good graces. I find it amazing that many of my containers are x-ray inspected in their entirety, and god help you if you are one of the unlucky random inspections.... every tid bit of paperwork needs to be spot on and the contents better match the paperwork.... or you might have the local customs officials having you dump out a few cases of Danish Christmas beer... DAMKIT.:rolleyes:

Greg

Jim King
11-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Anthony: My secretary and our customs agent were the ones who put the seal on the container and signed off on it so they were the ones that had to go for the inspection.

This was a first and I hope there is no second time. It is true this is not like living in the States. Whenever my wife or I talk to our families up there it is really difficult to explain our life style to people that have never lived in these kind of places.

Per: This is a story written by a friend some years ago , a bit flashy but the facts are correct. Click on this.

http://www.petergormanarchive.com/Catering_a_Jungle_Party.html

John Bush
11-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi Jim,
It was probably just an SMC member trying to get first dibs on the best spalted bloodwood turning blanks and slabs of Santos Mahogany!!

Glad all turned out well. Hope your secretary had a nice visit in the city otherwise.

Will you be shipping any more goodies to Seattle?? I still have a good supply and have really enjoyed working with this beautiful wood you produce but I will surely need more some day. I am making a "fancy" croquet set for a friend and using purpeheart and yellow parrot for the mallets for UW Husky purple and gold colors. Did the pics of the chair come thru?

Good luck and thanks again, John.