PDA

View Full Version : DW718 Not Happy

James White
11-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Hello all,

I am new to the group. I recently purchased a DW718 scms. The problem is on wide stock the blade starts to drag when the back of the blade enters the cut. This leaves the cut poor and imprecise. Also the sliding action is not smooth. When going slow it feels "notchy". I will attempt to return it to the tool store were I purchased it.

So what should I replace it with. I intend to use this as a shop saw for furniture and the like. I would like a large capacity saw that cuts true. I would have liked to replace it with a Makita. But, the tool store only carries there 10" slider. The only other 12" sliders they carry are the Bosch 5412l and the Hitachi C12LSH. I have read complaints about the Bosch not making clean cuts and the detents getting sloppy with use. Have any of you found this to be true? I have not found much regarding the Hitachi.

I would like to hear some comments from users of these saw other than for framing or narrow stock.

Regards,
James

Gary Keedwell
11-05-2007, 11:17 AM
Wow...do you really need a 12" slider? I have an 8 1/4" slider that I use to rough all my stock to length. Do you have a table saw?
Gary

James White
11-05-2007, 11:27 AM
Ok I misspoke. It will mostly be used as a shop saw. My current project is three sets of stairs. I found it nice to be able to cut the treads and skirt boards with the miter saw. I will also use it occasionally for large crown moldings.

James

Aaron Hamilton
11-05-2007, 11:27 AM
I have the Hitachi C12RSH - 12" single bevel, sliding compound miter saw w/ the laser. It is fantastic. Small footprint because of the genious design of the stationary sliding rails. No noticable play in the carriage when cutting 12 1/2" wide boards (max crosscut cap). The saw was PERFECT straight out of the box. No adjustments needed. The laser is dead on and the motor is powerful enough to cut through the dense hardwoods even with a crosscut blade on. I've built 3 kitchens - I have a Forrest crosscut blade on it, and I haven't had a single complaint. It's got some really need add-on's too for doing stop dados and half laps.

Out of all my cool tools - my Hitachi is my favorite tool in the shop. I've talked 3 friends into getting one. And - I got mine for $350 on a crazy Amazon sale.

James White
11-05-2007, 11:31 AM
Arron,

Thank you. Have you had a chance to compare the construction of the dual bevel model to your saw? Is the design similar?

James

Aaron Frank
11-05-2007, 11:35 AM
James,

I just upgraded to the Bosch 4410L. My old SCMS was the 8-1/4" Hitachi which was great, but was only single bevel and not quite as versatile as the Bosch is. Also, the Bosch was spot on accurate right out of the box. You mentioned the rails dragging as you slide the saw. This is not a problem with the Bosch.

One other thing that makes the Bosch great in comparison to the small Hitachi is that the motor runs the blade via a belt, as compared to a direct drive system on the Hitachi. Having the motor up above the blade makes tight bevels and compound cuts possible.

(One downside: The bosch footprint is considerably larger than the small Hitachi, and likely the 12" Hitachi as well)

Good luck in your decision.
Aaron

Aaron Hamilton
11-05-2007, 11:41 AM
It's exactly the same - except for no dual bevel and no digital display. I have gotten by fine w/ single bevel.

frank shic
11-05-2007, 12:18 PM
craigslist it. that saw has had a number of negative reviews on amazon.com as well as a couple of other forums.

James White
11-05-2007, 6:12 PM
Are there any other members who own one of the two saws being considered?
Bosch5412L
HitachiC12LCH
I am leaning toward the Hitachi but would like to get some other users thoughts on the two saws.

James

Mike Henderson
11-05-2007, 6:42 PM
I own a Bosch 12" non-slider and am very happy with it.

Regarding a single bevel, it's not often that I need a double bevel but when you do, it's really difficult not to have it. I bought a double bevel and am glad I did.

Unless you're cutting really big stuff, a 10" slider should work great. I went with a non-slider because I didn't have enough room towards the back for the slide.

Mike

Kelly Leblond
11-05-2007, 8:11 PM
I picked up a new 718 just a few days ago and returned it before ever making one cut. Just did not like the sliding action once setup at the house…not very smooth. It seems to have something to do with the load the return spring (spring that holds the saw up) puts on the sliders. If I just slide the saw without pulling down to it was very smooth, much better but much less useful!

Gary Herrmann
11-05-2007, 8:19 PM
I've got the Bosch 5412L. I haven't had a single problem with it. Dead nuts on out of the box and has remained so. There are other owners on the creek.

James White
11-06-2007, 4:09 AM
Kelly,

Have you replaced it yet?

James

Kelly Leblond
11-06-2007, 9:50 AM
Yes and no, picked up the Makita slider at HD but have not used it. After having the small Dewalt 10" non-slider I'm really not likeing the handle on the Mikita or the feel of the sliders. I wish someone had a Bosch local so I could check it out before buying. Having never used a slider I must say the feel is odd, not as smooth an action as I had hoped. I'm sure the more I use one the better it feel. Dad had a RAS growing up so thats what I learned on may be part of the issue for me. My end up with a 12" non-slider and keep an eye out for a old RAS to crosscut. So to sum it up I don't have a clue right now!

Brian Weick
11-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Ridged 12" dual compound miter saw has performed for me flawlessly. the sliding action is very smooth and the miter cuts are very accurate. I was skeptical when I bought this saw 3 years ago but I have to say they build there tools with attention to accuracy and rugged construction, but I used to have the Dewalt DCS and in all honesty- In my opinion- the ridged saw has performed and lived up to my expectations and more. It also comes with the laser guide which is really great for alignment on cuts. It's mounted on one of there SUV stands (older version) and it's an awesome set up. I am not a fan of the new stands they came out with. Plus you get the service to go with it- if there is ever any problem- they send out parts with no questions asked- great service! (although I only needed parts for the Ridged Radial arm saw) - they sent me out a new clamping mechanism . this is just my oppinion speaking from experience using certain Ridged power tools.
Brian

James White
11-06-2007, 10:55 AM
Kelly,

I used to use the Makita 10" for years on high end trim jobs. What many would call Mc mansions on Long Island. I was always impressed with the accuracy of that saw. However you had to cut the crown moldings on the flat and sometimes it would come up a little short. So you would have a little nub to trim by hand. Not too bad though.

Brian,

If I can get my money back from the tool store I may just give the Rigid a try. I recently bought there 5" Random orbit sander and I feel the quality is certainly there.

I just wish I could find the 12" Makita locally. By the way. I also own a Dewalt 12" compound miter saw that I have had since it first came out. I never had a lick of trouble with that. But again sometimes it comes up a little short.

James

Brian Weick
11-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Kelly,

I used to use the Makita 10" for years on high end trim jobs. What many would call Mc mansions on Long Island. I was always impressed with the accuracy of that saw. However you had to cut the crown moldings on the flat and sometimes it would come up a little short. So you would have a little nub to trim by hand. Not too bad though.

Brian,

If I can get my money back from the tool store I may just give the Rigid a try. I recently bought there 5" Random orbit sander and I feel the quality is certainly there.

I just wish I could find the 12" Makita locally. By the way. I also own a Dewalt 12" compound miter saw that I have had since it first came out. I never had a lick of trouble with that. But again sometimes it comes up a little short.

James

check it out- I spent an hour examining the saw before I bought it- I love that saw. Not to mention "lifetime warranty" no questions asked. Why would they build a tool with a lifetime warranty- that says something about the confidence in construction and workability with there equipment. I have not had to call them with problems or parts since I owned the CMS or any of the other 5 machines I own that are made by Ridged, with the exception of the missing clamp on my radial arm saw- sent it write out. You get 90 days from the HD and lifetime service after that. All the other companies that make these can't hold a candle on the warranty issue. I bought a PC 7518 and 4 months after that the PC board went- I had to negotiate with Porter cable to get a new PC board. I told her- I will install it- they wanted to charge me for the part $98.00 and the service to install it around $60.00, I just shelled out over $300 for the router and after 4 months it is going to cost me close to $500.00 for a $300.00 router ~ not to mention I won't see it for 4 weeks, yhaaaa ~ "I don't think so" ,I got into this rather heated conversation explaining "in fact" that Ridged offers a warranty contract that is for the life of the tool , yada,yada,yada after all my complaining and that statement, let me speak to my manager,,,,, bla,bla,bla, elevator music ~ she decided to ship it out - at no charge and apologized and hoped that I would continue to buy there products. It's not so much the tools , it's the service on them that gets me ~ now you pay top dollar for these tools and expect performance, ease of operation and reliability, but there is the service issue- something to think about. :rolleyes:
Brian

Mike Vermeil
11-06-2007, 12:18 PM
I know this goes contrary to everything you hear about Hitachi SCMS's, but my 10" version has been an absolute nightmare from day 1. Hands down, it's durability has been the worst of any expensive tool I've ever owned.

Almost immediately after begining use, the two major aluminum castings started to gall (sp?) against each other at the bevel adjustment. I tried everything I could think of to stop it, but once Al galls, you're dead. I tried to get Hitachi to replace the saw, but they refused, and refered me to a local service center. The service center replaced both castings, and gave the saw back in a poorly reassembled maner. I took care of that myself, and went back to work.

After 4 or 5 more days of use, the castings started to gall again. So far, I've been able to keep it to a minimum, but don't have confidence that I can get it to stop.

And on top of it all, my laser is now dead and it's out of warranty! I'm sure my case is isolated, but I'll never, ever buy another Hitachi product.

Brian Weick
11-06-2007, 4:16 PM
I know this goes contrary to everything you hear about Hitachi SCMS's, but my 10" version has been an absolute nightmare from day 1. Hands down, it's durability has been the worst of any expensive tool I've ever owned.

Almost immediately after begining use, the two major aluminum castings started to gall (sp?) against each other at the bevel adjustment. I tried everything I could think of to stop it, but once Al galls, you're dead. I tried to get Hitachi to replace the saw, but they refused, and refered me to a local service center. The service center replaced both castings, and gave the saw back in a poorly reassembled maner. I took care of that myself, and went back to work.

After 4 or 5 more days of use, the castings started to gall again. So far, I've been able to keep it to a minimum, but don't have confidence that I can get it to stop.

And on top of it all, my laser is now dead and it's out of warranty! I'm sure my case is isolated, but I'll never, ever buy another Hitachi product.

yea Mike,
I just bought there 3-1/4hp mv12 last month from a www site ` something that looks like it belongs on star trek-lol, anyways- not thrilled with it- luckily I only paid 117 - new in the box including free delivery- I would never pay 289 for this thing. I just use it on my lathe carriage , but to tell you the truth- I am going to get rid of it probably- i can't stand the way it looks, and the plunge gage is rather cheesy, and I don't care for the plastic knob that juts out the top to adjust the level in or out, the motor is great, but other than that ~ some functions, and that design- what were they thinking! whaaaaa:eek:
Have a great day Mike!
Brian

Kelly Leblond
11-06-2007, 11:28 PM
With as many top picks and positive reviews as the Makita has earned I'm sure it would make a great addition to the shop. But the vertical handle is just not setting right with me. I had talked my self into giving it a go until I read about the Boush deal at Amazon...thanks Chris Smith! P.S. check out the post "Bosch 5412L 12" Sliding Compound Saw Deal" :)

Brad Townsend
11-07-2007, 8:24 AM
First the disclaimer: I don't own a slider, so the views expressed are probably suspect, but from what I have read, can a slider really be trusted to deliver consistently accurate results due to added complexity and the amount of play needed for the sliding mechanism? Might be fine for general construction work, but is it accurate enough for fine woodworking? Yeah, my non-slider is limited in capacity, but I can trust it to make cuts that are right on. Can the same be said for most SCMS? Like I said, I don't own one, so I not just expressing an opinion. I really am asking.

Dan Clark
11-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Brad,

IMO, the answer is yes. The Bosch 4410L (the one that I bought) and Makita LS1013 are both good saws that can give excellent cuts. The head on both is very stiff. It's very difficult to move the heads out of alignment when extended fully.

Unfortunately, the DW718 is a victim of "decontenting". Dewalt emphasized the glitz, but the castings are rough and the head is very floppy when extended. Although the DW718 has better features than its predecessor (the DW708), the overall quality has good down.

The DW718 has repeatedly gotten very negative reviews. I was going to buy one, but then I got a chance to compare it against the Bosch and Makita 10" sliders side by side at Western Tool here in Woodenville, WA. That's when I confirmed how bad it was and bought my Bosch instead. The Bosch isn't perfect, but it's MUCH better than the DW718.

Regards,

Dan.

Noah Levy
11-07-2007, 10:55 AM
I feel compelled to reply here even though there are many threads on this subject. I almost bought the Bosch 5412L yesterday but the negative reports I read about it scared me too much.

I currently have the Makita LS1013 and it's been pretty much useless since I got it. My buddy has one too and he's got the same problems I have. I can't even get my fence in alignment as there is not enough adjustment range in the bolt holes. Once I get it close, after using the saw a few times, the fence moves back to where it was. THe fence was was also warped. Don't even get me started on the angle settings. Let's just say they are always off becouse the detents are not dead on and getting the thing to settle a half degree or a dgree away from the detent is impossible because the table just slips back into the preset detent! AGGGGRH!

Makita service is really not that good. After spending hours fiddling around with it I realised there's enough slop in the slide as it moves back and forth that I'm never going to get an accurate cut. If I put a straight edge along the crosscut face of a 4" wide board the surface is wavy. The front and back edges are proud of the center - by a lot! If the movement of the carriage isn't linear, there's no way it's ever going to work. I've tightened every darn bolt on that thing many times and have come to the conclusion it's never going to work right. My buddy feels the same way. Mine sits on a shelf, my friend uses his for rough cutting only.

On the positive side the Makita comes with a teriffic blade but that is it.

I've read many many praise worthy reviews of all the SCMS brands and plenty of poor reviews of each one too. I have come to the conclusion that getting a good one is pretty much just luck. So last night just as I was about to pull the trigger on the massive, and I mean massive, Bosch SCMS, I stopped and said to myself, if I can get a better cut using my jigsaw and a small right angle cutting jig that I made, and use my sled for flawless 45 degree cuts, why am I spending $650+ on a slider?

Mark Engel
11-07-2007, 11:43 AM
I wonder what changes DeWalt made to the DW-708 to make the DW-718.

I have had the 708 for many years and am very happy with it. Once it is properly tuned up, it produces very accurate, clean cuts.

James White
11-07-2007, 12:43 PM
Ok, I was able to get my money back from the tool store. Only because of Dewalts 30-90 day money back guaranty. Had it been another brand the saw would have gone in for repairs. This made me a little trigger shy to buy the only other sliding miter that they had in stock. The Bosch 5412. So I left without a replacement. Then on the way home I decide what the heck I'll go to Lowes and get the 12" Hitachi. As soon as I get home what do I see posted. Bosch 5412L 12" Sliding Compound Saw Deal. Now I have a dilemma. In the end I thought it was too good a deal to pass up. With a free $100 blade and $125 dollars cheaper than the Hitachi. So the Hitachi must go back. It was taken out of the box but not used. So I don't feel too bad about bringing it back.

Besides price another thing that pushed me toward the Bosch is that the Hitachi has allot of movement of the head. I believe this has to do with the size of the saw and the amount of leverage you have when the rails are fully extended. I suspect that that, is not really a good way to asses whether or not the saw will perform. But, it is hard to overlook. It sure is tempting to test the saw out though. I suspect I will not. That sort of thing tends to drive up the cost at the retailers.

Regards,
James