PDA

View Full Version : MLCS Woodworking Through Dovetail Template?

Matt Meiser
11-05-2007, 9:02 AM
Has anyone used this? It got good reviews when tested by Wood Magazine but I'd like to find some real-world reviews. Its a no-nonsense, non-adjustable template similar to the Keller Jig.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/dovetailjig.html (http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/dovetailjig.html)

frank shic
11-05-2007, 9:12 AM
matt, it looks pretty affordable but i can already see several deficits. first, it does not appear to have an indexing system for rapid alignment of the drawer parts. second, using manual clamps as opposed to a cam bar (right term?) will slow you down even further. third, you can only place one drawer part on it at one time. fourth, you'll use even more time routing first the sockets, then the pins as opposed to a half blind dovetail jig. it's cheaper than a keller dovetail jig and it requires less preparation time than a stots dovetail master template but i think that there are better alternatives out there in terms of production speed - search for omnijig on ebay or craigslist.

Matt Meiser
11-05-2007, 9:41 AM
Frank, I should clarify that I'm not looking for speed, I'm looking for inexpensive because this would be something I use very infrequently. I used to have a Leigh D4 but sold it because I couldn't justify having a $500 tool I used once a year.

On the projects I've done in the past, I've only used 1/2 blind DT's once. Usually I'll build a drawer box and attach a front to that. For cabinetry, I've started using Mark Singer's pocket hole drawer design, but I'll be building a dresser for my daughter soon and I want to use DT's for that.

Obviously another option would be to just hand cut all the DT's.

frank shic
11-05-2007, 9:54 AM
i gotcha, matt. in that case, if you screw an indexing stop on each side of the dovetail jig and use two routers (one set up with a pattern cutting straight bit and another set up with a dovetail cutter) you should be able to make good time. BTW frank klausz's DVD cannot be beat!

Eric Larsen
11-05-2007, 9:58 AM
Has anyone used this? It got good reviews when tested by Wood Magazine but I'd like to find some real-world reviews. Its a no-nonsense, non-adjustable template similar to the Keller Jig.

http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/dovetailjig.html (http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/dovetailjig.html)

I have this jig. My woodworking experience is nil, but I still was able to make my wife a very nice step stool with the jig.

It works as advertised.

Alan Tolchinsky
11-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Matt, I have that dt jig but I wish I went with the Keller. Here's why: With the Keller jig you get router bits with bearings which should give you perfect results. With the MLCS template you need to use a collar on your router to guide the bit. If you don't get that perfectly centered you will get error. I guess it's possible to get the collar perfectly centered but the Keller takes care of that for you automatically. Alan

Eric Larsen
11-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Matt, I have that dt jig but I wish I went with the Keller. Here's why: With the Keller jig you get router bits with bearings which should give you perfect results. With the MLCS template you need to use a collar on your router to guide the bit. If you don't get that perfectly centered you will get error. I guess it's possible to get the collar perfectly centered but the Keller takes care of that for you automatically. Alan

I just used a 5/8" bushing as described in the manual -- did I somehow luck out?

Jim Kountz
11-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Ive used this jig a couple of times in the past and it did a fine job. Its of course geared more towards casework of boxes since it is of course a through dovetail jig. For drawers a half blind jig would prove more useful but you probably knew that right? LOL

Alan Tolchinsky
11-06-2007, 12:21 AM
I just used a 5/8" bushing as described in the manual -- did I somehow luck out?

Hi Eric, No I don't think you lucked out. I'm not saying the MLCS unit doesn't work. I feel that the way Keller does it with bearing guided bits that it takes more error out of the operation. I've done perfectly fine joints with my MLCS template but always wished I didn't have to center a collar every time to use it. Of course the price of the MLCS unit makes it pretty attractive and that's why I bought it. Alan