PDA

View Full Version : Air in shop

Christopher Pine
11-05-2007, 9:01 AM
I have a very humble and crowded one car garage shop. I am thinking of some options for conserving space. Was wondering if anyone has piped there air from the compressor into their shops? I was thinking of doing this and locating the air sompressor and perhaps the dust collector in a small shed on side of garage. Anyone done this? Have pictures?
I would like to perhaps locate one on wall witrh regu;lator and maybe have a hoese reel on ceiling also.

Thanks in advance for your inputs

Chris

Jim Becker
11-05-2007, 9:47 AM
Lots of us have our air systems "piped" in and there are a number of threads here at SMC on the subject...one within the last couple of days.

My compressor is in my cyclone closet and type L copper brings the air to several drops located in convenient places in the shop. Regulation and filtration is in the closet, too, with extra moisture filtration on a dedicated drop for spray finishing.

Rob Diz
11-05-2007, 4:32 PM
I'm about to install copper lines in my shop. Lots of good information here on that subject.

I would not put Dust collection outside of your shop, however. You will pull all of your conditioned air (heat/cool) out of your shop very quickly. For that reason, I have a high quality bag on my Delta DC that is in the corner of my shop.

Ken Baker
11-05-2007, 4:57 PM
You are only expelling your Air Conditioned air if you have an attached shop and keep the garage door closed.

Otherwise by expelling the air out you don't have to pay the extra for the fine filters, but more importantly you don't have to worry about the fine microns being sent back into your shop.

I have a cyclcone outside my garage in an almost soundrproof cabinet, along with my compressor. I saved a few hundred on the fine filters because I just send the air out. Really keeps the noise down in the garage, and it keeps the dust out.

Christopher Pine
11-05-2007, 5:01 PM
Tell me more about your cabinet outside etc.. pictures would be awesome also.... I was thinking about doing this and having a return air vent back into the shop with a filter over it to recover soem of the heat in winter taht would be sucked out.

Chris

You are only expelling your Air Conditioned air if you have an attached shop and keep the garage door closed.

Otherwise by expelling the air out you don't have to pay the extra for the fine filters, but more importantly you don't have to worry about the fine microns being sent back into your shop.

I have a cyclcone outside my garage in an almost soundrproof cabinet, along with my compressor. I saved a few hundred on the fine filters because I just send the air out. Really keeps the noise down in the garage, and it keeps the dust out.

Ken Baker
11-05-2007, 6:00 PM
I'll try and post some pictures.

I have a detached 3 car garage -so AC and heat loss was not an issue for me. Primary concerns for me were: space that the cyclone takes up, noise, and most importantly getting the dust out and not into my lungs. I read Bill Pentz website and it scared me - I don't want to live on an oxygen tank.

I built a cabinet on the side of my garage, framed it out with 2x4s, added a 1/2 sound deading pad, 1/2 OSB and a 2 inch foam pad, foil backed. Then on the outside I did roofing paper, and composite siding. So it keeps in a majority of the sound.

The cyclone intake comes through the garage wall, I expando foamed the opening. The exhaust from the cyclone ducts out (sound absorbing ducting) to a 6 inch vent out the side where no neighbors are close, and on the back side of teh garage so no dirty air comes back in. I saved a couple hundred by not having to buy the micron filters.

It's 220 volt so I used a contactor, so I can switch it on and off from inside the garage.

The Air compressor is in there also.

So I can now run it and the neighbors next door don't even hear it.

Jim Becker
11-05-2007, 8:42 PM
As long as the closet is vented back to the shop, there is no issue with air loss. That return should be "baffled" (a bent path, as it were) to disallow direct noise transmission back to the shop, however.