PDA

View Full Version : Craftex tools...

Brian Matthews
02-10-2004, 1:58 PM
Any fellow Canucks out there have any experience with Craftex tools?

To be more specific, I am interested in a Craftex 14 1/2" (they call it 15") bandsaw. It is the one remaining 2003 model the local store in Calgary has left, with a few upgrades from the basic saw (better bearing guides). All in $405 CDN + tax (7% GST). This seems like a good deal for a sturdy looking new saw. 3/4hp, no real fence, with decent looking miter gauge. I am told this basic saw has been selling for 5 years, with an upgraded model (1hp and good fence for $575 cdn + GST) out now in 2004.

Anyone out there with any experience with a Craftex bandsaw?

How about general comments about it being only 3/4hp?

I went in thinking I would look at one of the little benchtop models (toy-saw?), but they just seem like they would not be worth the $200.

Thanks for input,

Brian

Bryan Cowing
02-10-2004, 4:17 PM
ask at these two forums
http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/
http://www.workshopbuzz.com/cgi-bin/buzzforum/hw_config.pl

Howard Rosenberg
02-10-2004, 5:43 PM
Craftex is usually described as "not bad considering the price."
If that's where your dollars, leave you, go for it.

But -
- should you ever want to upgrade your BS (who me?) there's no resale at all
- why?
- same as with everything else
- it's not a major brand, it has limited distribution (it's Busy Bee's house-brand) and its components are a big question mark, not to mention not-great questionable ergonomics (two-knob lid on top wheel cover and under-table adjusters)

Depending on what you plan on using your BS for, I'd still say the little Delta at HD is a better deal - less $, better resale into the future - more standardized parts for service - Delta Canada's in Guelph and (in between being sold) they aren't going anywhere.

Or.....
if you've got the $ flex, you might just bite the bullet and buy a Delta 14". Or.... bide your time and buy a used one.

Hope this helps. Howard