PDA

View Full Version : I fighted this lided box for 3 days.

Alex Elias
11-05-2007, 4:58 AM
I think I won, but I let you be the judge.
I was trying to be conservetive :rolleyes: (cheap) on a piece of Gmelia burl I have and cut it short, so I ended up with a 2"x2"x3 1/2" to make the box. When I chucked it up I noticed my cheapness left me almost nothing to work with. Commited to finish what I started I decided to move the block about 1/4" or so from the bottom of the chuck (to gain material):D so I barely graved the wood (very smart) needless to say I did ended up about 0.0021 mm out of round on the lid due to lack of firmness on the grip I assume :confused: so now the lid is not as thight as I would like it to be. When I was about done holwing the inside, I had a catch (well, not me de tool I never have catches) the opening got busted; that is how the Ebony rim came about, I ripped a pen blank in 2 boock match glued it up and attached to the new mouth, then I had to refinish (CA) the outside one more time.
I had no problems turnig the inside of the lid, jammed chucked and hollow the inside bit. The last encounter with the box was when I was turning the foot, the mother &)#$#&%#*) decided to learn how to fly out ot the lathe, so there I had to do the third finish on it due to some blemishes, thank god it did not brake then.
After all that I think I came out a winner on this one but that box sure put up a fight for the last 3 nights.
Thanks for looking and you comments (good, bad or ugly)
Alex

The M&M's are props and they are 12" in diameter.:D

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/alxe24/Gmelia-burl-box-01.jpg

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/alxe24/Gmelia-burl-box-02.jpg

Dan Forman
11-05-2007, 5:44 AM
I did ended up about 0.0021 mm out of round on the lid
Alex

Well, I reckon you would just about need an electron microscope to see .0021 milimeters. Other than the three atoms missing from the short sides, it came out really nice! :D Definately worth the battle.

Vince Welch
11-05-2007, 6:25 AM
Alex,

Good effort and this is a nice shape. I am glad the mouth broke so you were able to add the rim detail. LOL. I think you won.

Vince

Pete Jordan
11-05-2007, 6:52 AM
Nice paint job on the M&Ms.

The box is nice too!

Rex Guinn
11-05-2007, 7:32 AM
Alex for all the problems you had it's great I really like the wood, shape and the balck rim and top. You should be very happy the way it ended up.

Mike Peace
11-05-2007, 8:11 AM
I really like the simple form. The ebony rim and finial really set it off. I find it hard sometimes not to get something like that too busy with too many embellishments. Very well done!

Steve Schlumpf
11-05-2007, 8:35 AM
Alex - sounds like you had your share of challenges with this box but the final product sure turned out nice! Really like the simple form, ebony rim, finial and finish! Nice work!

Paul Engle
11-05-2007, 9:36 AM
Lets score this one > . Alex 1 , burl 0. Nice work Alex. small is tough to do and as you said not much room for error . or rather repair. Persistence is a virtue and it looks like you got it coming and going! :D

Jim Becker
11-05-2007, 9:39 AM
You won BIG TIME. Wonderful piece!

Mike Vickery
11-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Yep I definately would say you won. That is a beauty!

TYLER WOOD
11-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Very spiffy, I love it. Nice form. Glad as well that you had the catch. I think the ebony rim really sets the tone for the piece.

Bernie Weishapl
11-05-2007, 1:38 PM
Alex the wood may have won the battle but it sure does look like you won the war. Well done.

Neal Addy
11-05-2007, 2:03 PM
:eek: Trust me.... you won. It's perfect! That's one of the most beautiful boxes I've seen!

BTW, you were in complete control and had this box in mind from the very beginning. That would be my story and I'd stick to it. ;)

Good story, though. We've all been there but you stuck with it and got 'er done!

Ron McKinley
11-05-2007, 2:22 PM
You certainly won this one! I never knew wood could "fly" until I started turning! ........Ron

Gary Chester
11-05-2007, 3:48 PM
I really really like that!!! I'm going to steal... err borrow... err... be inspired by that design with my next box...

What is the finish?

Now let's see... if the m & m's are 12", that's a BIG box!

Tom Sherman
11-05-2007, 5:02 PM
Alex I have found that the one's that give you most trouble can sometimes be your greatest pieces. Great job.

Alex Elias
11-05-2007, 9:40 PM
Thank you all for the nice comments. I am very happy with it and as long I don't think much about the fit not being the way I wanted I'll be ok. Good learning experience though.

[quote=Gary Chester;687792]I really really like that!!! I'm going to steal... err borrow... err... be inspired by that design with my next box...

What is the finish?

I finished it with CA
Again thanks to all for your kind words
Alex