PDA

View Full Version : Tool Gloat, not planned

Ralph Okonieski
11-04-2007, 7:58 PM
Have a tool gloat for tools(s) that weren't planned. I attended an open house for a store in Cleveland where my neighbor works. Makita, Festool, Bosch, PC, and few more reps were there with displays. I finally wandered over the Bosch table where a small cordless drill caught my attention. We talked about it for some time but I really do not need another cordless drill. During our conversation the rep mentioned they had a special package deal ($149) on their jigsaw and Colt router. I've had my eye on a small router for some time. Who ever has enough routers? My jigsaw is a Black & Decker that I either bought or was given as a gift 30 years ago. It was inexpensive then and never really cut accurately. So now I'm the proud owner of a Bosch 1587AVS Jigsaw and Bosch Colt single speed router.

I used the router on a project I'm working on to roundover the sharp corners. It worked beautifully. Much easier than wrestling with a heavy one. What a great weekend it has turned out to be.

Jeff Booth
11-04-2007, 8:22 PM
I have those same tools, I like them both.

I noticed with the Colt router that the combination of a 1/4" collet and a short wrench occasionally had me not getting the bit tight enough and it would pull out ~ 1/8" during use. I hae 2 big Bosch routers that are both permanent mounted (table and woodrat) so I am used to the router being fixed and the wrenches being long.

Now I have a laminated post it permanently affixed to the colt remind me to tighten thoroughly.

Enjoy!

Jeff

lou sansone
11-04-2007, 8:38 PM
love the jig saw. great choice

lou

Bruce Page
11-04-2007, 8:41 PM
Ralph, there’s no comparison between a cheap jigsaw and a good jigsaw. You’re going to love it.
I have the Colt, it’s a nice little router.

Don Bullock
11-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Congratulations Ralph. It sounds like you got a good deal on two great tools. Nice score.

Louis Rucci
11-05-2007, 12:19 AM
I'm new in these forums and just picked up a Bosch Colt this afternoon. Just cost me $28.00 including tax.

To be honest I won two Lowe's $50.00 gifts cards at work. Figure I'd put thme to good use.

Louis

Henk Marais
11-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Have used a various jig saws before but my Bosh is the best!

Rich Dorffer
11-05-2007, 12:32 AM
Have a tool gloat for tools(s) that weren't planned. I attended an open house for a store in Cleveland where my neighbor works. Makita, Festool, Bosch, PC, and few more reps were there with displays.

What store?

Regards,

Rich

Brad Townsend
11-05-2007, 7:34 AM
What store?

Regards,

Rich
I got a Rockler flyer the other day that has the same deal in it. I suspect it's available other places as well.

Benjamin J Martin
11-05-2007, 10:02 AM
Is going for this deal worth it? I was thinking about going with the 1590 because of the improved blade stability and other features that I have read. But this is $30 cheaper and comes with the free Colt. Can somebody help me make the decision. I need a decent jigsaw.

Brian Weick
11-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Very nice Ralph, that was a good package price. I have a PC jig and was thinking of getting a new one- do they still have this deal going on?
Brian

Gary Keedwell
11-05-2007, 10:09 AM
Is going for this deal worth it? I was thinking about going with the 1590 because of the improved blade stability and other features that I have read. But this is $30 cheaper and comes with the free Colt. Can somebody help me make the decision. I need a decent jigsaw.
I have had my Botch saw for over 15 years and it still works great.Many, many woodworkers and publications rate the Bosch jig saw #1.
Gary

Dave Dionne
11-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Great score I have the Jig Saw and am wanting the router maybe from Santa? Santa are you reading these baords???

Congrats

Benjamin J Martin
11-05-2007, 11:46 AM
Very nice Ralph, that was a good package price. I have a PC jig and was thinking of getting a new one- do they still have this deal going on?
Brian

This deal is still going on. I found it at Internation Tool, can I post a link to it or is that against the rules here? I think that I am going to purchase it.

Michael Weber
11-05-2007, 1:40 PM
hum, need a better scroll saw and was considering the colt for a router for dove tails. Does the little Palm router have enough power for large dovetails? I like the size but the 1/4 inch only collet kind of makes me want to get something else that might be more adaptable to other uses

Ralph Okonieski
11-05-2007, 8:07 PM
Rich,
The store was Cleveland Tool & Cutter.

Brian,
A friend told me that Hartville Tool will have the same package on sale during their annual tool sale the weekend of Nov 16 & 17. I do not know for a fact this is true but I believe my friend.

Michael,
The Colt is only 1 Hp. I suspect it does not have enough power but since I've never tried it I'm only guessing.

I am not affiliated with Cleveland Tool & Cutter or Hartville Tool except as a happy customer.

glenn bradley
11-06-2007, 12:24 AM
I have those same tools, I like them both.

I noticed with the Colt router that the combination of a 1/4" collet and a short wrench occasionally had me not getting the bit tight enough and it would pull out ~ 1/8" during use. I hae 2 big Bosch routers that are both permanent mounted (table and woodrat) so I am used to the router being fixed and the wrenches being long.

Now I have a laminated post it permanently affixed to the colt remind me to tighten thoroughly.

Enjoy!

Jeff

Save yourself some trouble and buy a second wrench for the Colt. My arbor lock on my VS Colt was repaired under warranty twice and they finally gave me a flat wrench to use instead of the push button lock. The arbor notch failed, not the push rod (ouch).

The failing shaft lock design aside, it is one of my favorite tools. ;-) I also love my Bosch 1591VS and am sure you will like your saw as well.

glenn bradley
11-06-2007, 12:26 AM
hum, need a better scroll saw and was considering the colt for a router for dove tails. Does the little Palm router have enough power for large dovetails? I like the size but the 1/4 inch only collet kind of makes me want to get something else that might be more adaptable to other uses

The Colt definitly has a surprising amount of power and I would recommend the VS version if possible. That being said, I would not recommend it for DTs (or any 1/4" shaft router for that matter. YMMV.

Jeff Raymond
11-06-2007, 8:01 AM
I used to be a 100% Milwaukee guy, but have bought both of the items you did and couldn't be happier with the Bosch.

Especially the aggressive little bugger saw blade. Geez, that little puppy c-u-t-s.

John Viola
11-06-2007, 9:32 AM

I would think they are doing this to clear out the 1587s because they want to push the 1590s. The 1590 is a really sweet saw, but as someone else said, the 1587 is outstanding-it's been one of the best of its kind for years now. I've had the barrel grip version for 13 years now, and I have no plans to replace it. If I was in the market, I would go for the 1587 deal (free router!!!) esp. if they had the barrel grip model. I just like the barrel grip saws.

Either way though you cannot go wrong!

Barry Beech
11-06-2007, 2:06 PM
I have that same set up and love them both. They are really great tools.

Also, I recent bought the PS20 and the PS40. These are the 10.8v drill driver and impact driver. They were great for the deck that I just finished. The would both easy drive 3.5in #8 screws. The impact driver was great because it required absolutely no pressure to drive the screws so you don't have to worry about the bit slipping and stripping the screwhead.

They are all great products and you will find that they are a joy to use.

Jerry Olexa
11-06-2007, 2:28 PM
that is an excellent jigsaw...Congrats

Jeff Heil
11-07-2007, 12:51 AM
I love my Bosch jigsaw. I keep finding more ways to use my small laminate trimmer, I am sure you will be pleased with both tools!