PDA

View Full Version : how do you woodwork?

Stefan Antwarg
02-10-2004, 12:41 PM
My post about a Valentines project got me thinking about an aspect of WW'ing that has really annoyed me over the years. As I was reading over the suggestions, I was reminded how I have no idea how to design a project. I have made 95% of my projects from existing plans - mainly from Woodsmith. I have made 2 really simple items by using a prototype and building the exact same thing. One time I sat down and tried to design something - and then just gave up. Sizes and measurments just confused me.

So, I was wondering how you build projects.

Stefan

Jim Hill 2
02-10-2004, 12:47 PM
There are some other options you may want to consider adding. I have recently aspired to create my first piece of fine furnature. I knew the dimensions I wanted, but ordered a plan that was close and then altered it to fit my needs. I think after getting some experience under my belt, it will be a smaller step to designing my own creations.

Todd Burch
02-10-2004, 12:53 PM
I'm a "from scratch" kinda guy. I enjoy the challenge, but not the time it takes to do it. I will reference pictures or existing pieces, but very seldom build from plans that I have not drawn.

John Piwaron
02-10-2004, 12:57 PM
The choices in the survey don't accurately reflect how I go about any particular project. Sometimes I design my own. Sometimes I "copy" something I saw. Sometimes it's just simpler to build from an existing plan.

In every case it's certain that somewhere along the way I'll modify to suit my need.

Lee Schierer
02-10-2004, 12:59 PM
Your survey needs more options. I make my own plans, sometimes I use existing plans and some times I modify existing plans to suit my needs.

John Miliunas
02-10-2004, 1:02 PM
I usually work from the "Letmetry" book. (That's: Let Me Try) this, that and the other thing and see if it works! :D Now, that method is for the *real* custom work. Otherwise, I like to copy parts of "this" and parts of "that" to come up with what I like. I've even gone to complete plans, but modifying them for my needs. Bandsaw boxes may be the only place I've done a "carbon copy" of what was in a book/plan. :cool:

Mike Scoggins
02-10-2004, 1:08 PM
I typically design from scratch. I think half of the fun of woodworking (or making anything for that matter) is to be able to make something just like you want (or that LOML wants). You dont' have to be limited by "cookie cutter" plans.

Having said that, however, I certainly look at furniture stores, magazines, flyers, books, etc. for ideas. You never know what may inspire that next project.

Mike

Lars Thomas
02-10-2004, 1:44 PM
I alost always follow my own plans (if you can call a sketch 'a plan'). When I do that, I know how all of the pieces are inter-related. I'm not sure that I could even build from a plan without screwing it up. Just that way I do it.

Mike Evertsen
02-10-2004, 1:48 PM
none of the above really fit

I draw up my own plans
I use a existing plan as a start for dimensions
I start with a picture or rough drawing

Stefan Antwarg
02-10-2004, 2:06 PM
Yes, I guess I could have thought of a few more options. I thought maybe people had a prefered method that you do most of the time. I think I would consider the procedure of using a plan and modifying it the prototype option. Maybe not exactly.

Anyway, I am getting more depressed because it seems that I am in the minority of people who only use plans. I feel like I am lesser of a woodworker. I will have to try harder and design something one of these days.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-10-2004, 2:26 PM
Stefan,

I take ideas from things I like and make it my own. I used to just jump in and start cutting, but I've learned to do a little, well a lot of planning.

Let me give you an example. I'm making a set of tables for the living room and I've cut pictures out of ads, magazines and printed some from the internet. Katherine and I sat down and picked out the ones that appealed to us. Then we talked about what we liked about each piece. Once I have an idea what we want, I draw a plan view of the pieces on graph paper. Nothing fancy, no straight edge or measuring. Once we agree what's on the paper is actually what we were talking about I set out to draw detailed plans.

I draw a picture of the piece with measurements and then a picture of each part of the piece with its measurements. Each piece is numbered so I can keep track of it when I layout the cuts on the actual wood. I also make a detailed picture of the joinery, complete with measurements. This is probably the most important part of the plans for me because it helps me see a mistake on paper before I make it in wood. I used four sheets of graph paper to plan out the coffee table, but its not as bad as it sounds because there are not that many pictures on each page and one page is a cut sheet.

Larry Ball
02-10-2004, 2:35 PM
I guess I would be termed a "impulse woodworker". :confused: If I see something that really gets my attention and I feel it is within my skills or somewhat beyond I'll go for it. However most of the time I will modify the project to my likeing whether it may be in design, material or finish.
I sometimes just work through a project in my mind and then never build it. Not that I have ever started any project without finishing it! I'm sure my wife would agree with me, on this :o

Byron Trantham
02-10-2004, 2:48 PM
Planning, planning and more planning. I think I have used commercial plans maybe twice. I use CAD (Autosketch and/or DesignCad) and Cut List Plus to create what I want to build. Between the two, I usually "get it right". ;) Todd Burch has got me looking at Sketchup. I downloaded the trial version but have not expanded (installed) it yet. I am afraid I will like it and it ain't cheap!

I would like to make one point about me personally. I am spatially challenged. I have a heck of a time "seeing things." The LOML is just the opposite. She can "see anything" My efforts in wood working have definitely improved my ability to "see things." After a while, things just seem to be easier to visualize. :p

Mark Singer
02-10-2004, 3:03 PM
Stefan,
I try to summarize the objective of the piece...I try also to establish a vision or general appeance. Then I sketch by hand and start with the "broad strokes " of the design and finally to the connection and details that support the original vision...a bit esoteric ...but it helps to keep the purpose in the forefront

Kurt Aebi
02-10-2004, 3:34 PM
Stefan,

I had to post that I use plans already generated because I usualy use 2 or 3 existing plans and take the good points (my opinion) from each and size however I want and go from there. Some stuff I just make without actual drawings, just measurements and thoughts of what I am looking for.

Steve Clardy
02-10-2004, 3:36 PM
Being a self-employed cabinet maker and staircase builder, there are no plans. Sometimes a customer gives me a picture, but thats as far as it goes on plans. Everything I do is designed as I build it. Plans are all in my head. Steve

Chris Padilla
02-10-2004, 3:59 PM
I have yet to use any plans although I've certainly seen some good ones that I thought I might want to try.

Like most, I am inspired by what I see around me. From there, I try to incorporate it into the area I need/want it...kind of a functionality attempt.

Then the LOML steps in and corrects everything and I try to make it the way she likes! :D

Mark Patoka
02-10-2004, 4:30 PM
Stefan,
I wouldn't be discouraged that you feel you're in the minority of not designing your own. About 90% of the projects I make are directly from commercial plans, primarily WOOD magazine and WoodSmith. For me it's because my creative side is lacking and I'm not very good at conceptualizing a design from thin air. Also, many of the patterns are exactly what I want/need. It also allows me more time in the shop actually building.

As my woodworking experience has grown, it has allowed me to alter a plan and making it fit a particular need or even come up with my own measurements just from a picture. People also don't care if what you built is exactly from a plan. It's still up to you to select the wood that enhances the project and perform the small craftsmanship details that make people say "You really do some nice work".

Glenn Clabo
02-10-2004, 4:32 PM
The same way I cook...look at all kinds of recipes (plans/as builts)...think about how ingredients (woods/finish) make it taste...throw the recipes back on the shelf (plans are thrown everywhere)...and start building the meal.

Of course I don't make a living at cooking or woodworking...so a burnt meal or woodstove feed isn't such a bad thing.

Jay Kilpatrick
02-10-2004, 4:57 PM
Your survey needs more options. I make my own plans, sometimes I use existing plans and some times I modify existing plans to suit my needs.

I'm with Lee...There is seldom a project that doesn't have at least a couple of my own finishing touches on it, but usually more than just a few.

~Jay

Stefan Antwarg
02-10-2004, 5:04 PM
All great answers. Thanks! I am interested in hearing more about how people go about the designing process.

Stefan

George Summers
02-10-2004, 5:45 PM
Like others, I use a variety of methods:

Plans

Modified Plans

Scratch

Try to Copy A Picture

George

Jim Becker
02-10-2004, 5:57 PM
Tough poll to answer as I've used all three methods, depending on the project. Mostly, I design my own, but have no second thoughts about using Thos Moser's drawings or others to build a project from. I've started to build prototypes for some projects when it makes sense, such as the chairs I have partially completed.

Dan Dubeau
02-10-2004, 8:03 PM
It is very rare that i will use plans from somebody else, even then i allways feel the need to modify them a bit. I mostly just get an idea and sketch it down and start with the basic dimensions, then i just figure out the rest as i go.

I don't usually like to be set on the final design before i start because i know i'm going to want to change it a bit as i go, maybe ad something or take something away.

Sometimes i just let the wood decide want it wants to be.

Charles McKinley
02-10-2004, 8:24 PM
Hi Stefan,

LOML usually shows me a picture and says, "You can make this, can't you honey?" Then if it is in a catalog I get the rough dimentions or if it is on line I get out the pixel ruler to get the ratios and go from there.

I used the from proto type selection.

Just enjoy it! :)

Andy London
02-10-2004, 8:45 PM
Greetings Forum, mainly a reader rather than a poster.

Great subject to poll, all of my projects are my own design ideas. For some strange reason I can't follow plans, I make on slight miscut of an 1/8th and fret about how to fix it.

Less pressure designing as I go.

Andy

David Klug
02-10-2004, 8:58 PM
I dido what you do John. Rare that I don't make so kind of change to plans if I don't draw up my own.

DK

Kent Cori
02-10-2004, 10:12 PM
I really use all three approaches depending on the situtation. Even when I do use prepared plans or drawings, I always seem to be modifying them to fit my specific needs and desires. I'm an engineer, I can't help myself. ;)

Dave Avery
02-10-2004, 10:14 PM
Stefan,

I know this sounds weird, but I use Excel. I have a pretty good eye for proportions, and use the Excel border feature to draw with. I set the row and column pixel widths even and use a 3" per square scale. Perfect?...... not even close, but it does the job, usually in about 10 minutes. Dave.

Dale Thompson
02-10-2004, 11:10 PM
I usually work from the "Letmetry" book. (That's: Let Me Try) this, that and the other thing and see if it works! :D Now, that method is for the *real* custom work. Otherwise, I like to copy parts of "this" and parts of "that" to come up with what I like. I've even gone to complete plans, but modifying them for my needs. Bandsaw boxes may be the only place I've done a "carbon copy" of what was in a book/plan. :cool:

Yep. I actually built that well known tourist attraction near where you live. I like to use specific plans so I started out with plans for, "The Little House on the Prairie". I then applied my extensive engineering education, my superb surveying skills, a totally accurate GPS locator, my outstanding ability to follow plans and my precision building skills to the "Little House" project. SHAZAM!! http://www.thehouseontherock.com/the_attraction.htm

Am I a genius or what?? :cool:

Realistically, I am usually stuck with relatives who say, "Well, YOU know what I want!". That's about the only direction that I typically get. :confused: The fact is that they get what they ask for. ;)

The deal is: No charge - no complaints and, if it's made of wood, it can also be used as kindling. :(

Dale T.

Wes Bischel
02-11-2004, 1:32 AM
Stefan,

Don't fret using plans - when masters in the art of woodworking re-create a classic piece (like a Newport Block and Shell Carved Slant Top Desk) they follow plans. Does it make them less of a woodworker? Don't think so.

I think there is only one rule in woodworking - be safe. Other than that unless the government opens the "Department of Doing Woodworking Right" and they rule that "You're doing it wrong" I suspect any way you get it done is A-OK. Oh, maybe there are two rules, the second is - have fun.

Just my opinion.

I noted you are also in SE PA - though way over there on the other side of the river in York Co. I'm in Lancaster Co.

Wes

Rick Lasita
02-11-2004, 5:24 AM
I probably lean to doing all 3 choices, but have used existing plans with modifications, and some of those modifications have actually been intentional

Dave Anderson NH
02-11-2004, 5:43 AM
Everything I've ever made in wood has been from sketches or drawings I've made myself. For furniture, things usually begin with Sue (SWMBO) looking through one of our books on period furniture, calling me over, and pointing at a picture and saying,"that one". We then discuss any desired modifications, the wood to be used, any coloring or dyeing, and the type of finish to be used. Finally it becomes my job to develop sketches or drawing and then build the piece. I find I have as much fun and challenge in figuring out how the joinery was done and developing the plans as I do in actually building the piece. It has also forced me to learn a lot more about traditional furniture construction techniques and improved my skills quite a bit. I do look at plans in magazines and books, but I use them mostly as references on how particular types of joinery are done. The beauty of working from your own designs or variations of existing designs is that you get a finished product which meets your needs exactly.

Jim Young
02-11-2004, 4:44 PM
I make my own plans. The reason I started into woodworking is that I couldn't find a tank stand that met my wants. I've tried to make a couple of things from plane but always run into a snag where the plan had wrong dimensions. If I draw my own plans I am forced into thinking about every little step. If I follow premade plans I get lazy and assume they are right.

Mike Scoggins
02-11-2004, 4:49 PM
Stefan,

I know this sounds weird, but I use Excel. I have a pretty good eye for proportions, and use the Excel border feature to draw with. I set the row and column pixel widths even and use a 3" per square scale. Perfect?...... not even close, but it does the job, usually in about 10 minutes. Dave.

Stefan,

I too use Excel in much the same manner as you. I use the drawing tools, however, and just use the cells as a grid to draw the piece fairly close to scale. You can really do some fairly decent drawings if you take the time.

Below is a drawing I did in Excel (and converted to Adobe .pdf) of the dust collection boom I posted on the board some weeks ago.

Mike

Mike Scoggins
02-11-2004, 4:52 PM
Stefan,

I too use Excel in much the same manner as you. I use the drawing tools, however, and just use the cells as a grid to draw the piece fairly close to scale. You can really do some fairly decent drawings if you take the time.

Below is a drawing I did in Excel (and converted to Adobe .pdf) of the dust collection boom I posted on the board some weeks ago.

Mike

Oops! Meant to say "Dave" not "Stefan".

Fred Voorhees
02-11-2004, 8:19 PM
Let me add my two cents to this thread. Personally, I've never worked from a plan on anything that I have built....no wait... I have to amend that. I did build a window shutter jig from Norms New Yankee Workshop line of plans. Besides that, I've always designed the things that I built. Not that my inventory of past projects is huge. A six piece bedroom set is the biggest thing that I have undertaken at this point. Just finished up a great looking arbor style outdoor project that I again, simply built from what I had in mind. I've never considered it hard to design the furniture that I've built. In fact, another amendment now that I think of it. No, I didn't work from another set of plans. My wife had an old "potato bin" type of furniture that she got from her sister. Ratty old piece, but I decided to try to duplicate it and did a fairly nice job of it from recycled pine from an old four poster bed that I had torn down due to the new bedroom set. That wasn't from plans and wasn't out of the blue from my head. I have always enjoyed building the furniture to fit where it needed to be and the needs it was meant to meet. It's just a bit more of a challenge.

Dale Thompson
02-11-2004, 8:37 PM
I make my own plans. The reason I started into woodworking is that I couldn't find a tank stand that met my wants. I've tried to make a couple of things from plane but always run into a snag where the plan had wrong dimensions. If I draw my own plans I am forced into thinking about every little step. If I follow premade plans I get lazy and assume they are right.

Jim,
You make a very interesting point. Very few "stock" plans are TOTALLY accurate and some of the mistakes can get you into REAL trouble. Check before you cut. I've got one mantle clock plan which is quite popular with the relatives and friends. I first used the plan about fifteen years ago and have made changes EVERY time I have used it since (I usually make three at a time. It doesn't take that much longer and there will always be a wedding, anniversity, graduation or whatever coming up). The original plan put the glass in the door so close to the workings that there was no room for a second hand. Due to the design, that was a REAL problem!! :mad: Anyway, my philosophy has always been: "Measure once, cut three times - even it was too short to begin with". Sooner or later, Einstein's Theory of "Warped Space" will kick in and bail me out. ;)

Dale T. :)

Robert Waddell
02-11-2004, 9:59 PM
I find trying to follow someone else's plan fustrating to say the least. I usually build from a picture or an idea. I look through catalogs or reference material I've collected for general dimentional info. then start building. I had rather make things fit than fret over an exact fraction of an inch on a plan. I somethimes go back over something I have built and take measurements and record them so if I'm ask to build another I have something to reference. I know this is but* backwards but it has worked for me. We all are wired differently so don't worry about it if you need a plan. Satisfying the customer, who ever that is, is what counts.

Thomas Walker
02-11-2004, 10:28 PM
I look at books, pictures and real world examples to get an idea of what I want, but then I design from scratch so I can fit particular spaces or needs. This has been fairly easy with book cases and small entertainment cabinets, but more difficult when I branch out into something new. I usually rough it out on paper and then do it on graph paper. I played around with computer versions, but they don't really seem to save time even though I use to earn a living developing computer software. For something new, I find that the design process can take as much time as the building. And then after it's finished I find that I could make it much better if I took the time to do it again.

This method also allows me to design using construction techniques that I already know.

I would have no problem using a plan, it's just that I seem to always have an urge to change (improve?) things.

jim barter
02-12-2004, 9:34 PM
This is my first posting since joining this week.I like to gather pictures from magazines etc and dimensions are of my chosing.Like a lot of you have said don't fret if you are 1/8"too short .I call it a design change.

Dan McGuire
02-12-2004, 9:58 PM
Generally, I work from scratch, that is I design my own plans based upon pieces that I have seen or what will meet my current needs. I am always on the lookout for stuff that I like, I study it then come home and put my ideas on paper. From there I have a starting point on where I want to go. I haven't taken the time to teach myself how to use any CAD programs, so I use the trusty old pencil and paper. If it is really intricate work I will even use a straight edge when I am sketching my plan.

Dan