PDA

View Full Version : 10 HP Phase Converter

Reed Wells
11-04-2007, 4:49 PM
Can anyone tell me if this is a decent price for a 10 Hp phase converter? I need to call this company back Wednesday. This is part of an email response I received less than 8 hours after my inquiry.
After researching this seemed to be a very good price. What would be some important questions to ask the sales rep? After using only small static converters, I know very little about the rotery converter.
Thanks for your help, Reed

Hastings-Engineering
Hi,
I sell a 10 hp 230 volt converter for $500 plus shipping. 2 year
warranty.
Call if interested. Jim 281-686-3759 I will be out till Wednesday.
Thanks for your inquiry.

Jeff Raymond
11-04-2007, 4:54 PM
Couldn't get your link to work.

That price sounds awfully cheap...I can't remember but I think the one I got from Hermance Machinery (good guys) is rated for a 10hp startup and it was about (oh-oh senior moment here) mebbe...$1500?

It's rock-solid-heavy-arn-guy-stuff.

Al Killian
11-04-2007, 5:07 PM
There are different typees of converters. I am not sure which is which, but you might want to check around and make sure it is that right one for your needs.

David Werkheiser
11-04-2007, 6:09 PM
Reed,
For that price, It might be made up from parts at a electric motor repair shop. I've been using a rotary phase converter 20-60 (will start a 20hp machine and run a total of 60 hp machines at the same time) My converter started out with a used 25hp 3ph. motor, which can be had for next to nothing compared to single phase. This shop opens up motor, cleans, checks armature and replaces bearings. I think I spent $ 850.00 for it a few years ago
David

Brett Baldwin
11-05-2007, 12:06 AM
If the quality is good, that is an excellent price from what I've seen. That is the price I see 7.5 HP rotary converters go for around here and I haven't checked into the quality of those yet.

Bernhard Lampert
11-05-2007, 9:54 AM
Not enough information to give a good answer, but here are a couple of things to look for.
I assume that you are talking about a rotary phase converter.
Every company rates their RPC differently, there is no industry standard. For that reason, I would compare NEMA motor frame sizes. NEMA frame sizes are standard, so you can compare different manufacturers. Most cheap converters use a smaller frame motor and exaggerate the hp rating. If the RPC is located in a dusty environment, may need a TEFC(totally enclosed, fan cooled) motor as opposed to an open motor. Another very usefull option is a remote control start and stop.... saves a lot of foot work. It is also a good idea to oversize the the RPC a bit, some motors (especially chinese made ones) require a huge in rush current to start.
The quoted cost was awfully cheap.

Cheers,
Bernhard

Todd Burch
11-05-2007, 12:12 PM
I have a 10 HP Rotary phase converter. It's a Kay Industries Phasemaster. Works great. Uses 8 amps at idle. 230 volts. Smallest motor it can drive - 2HP. Largest - 10HP. I paid $750 used and bought from a friend who used it daily for several years before he shelved it. I think it sat for 2 years before I bought it.

I drive my 3ph 10HP Felder J/P with it, with the 3ph 5.5HP dust collector running at the same time.

Todd

Ben Abate
11-06-2007, 9:43 AM
I have to side here with Todd, I have a Kay Industries converter and I think it is a well built converter. Plus they have a great reputation. If you would talk to any of the fellows at the FOG. (Felders Owners Group) you would be sold. I believe most of us over there own one.

Take care