PDA

View Full Version : Turning Lessons

Tom Hamilton
11-04-2007, 4:08 PM
Greetings Fellow Turners!

I've read the books, watched the videos and done Creekers visits, but some on the pieces of the turning puzzle were not penetrating, or at least not sticking.

The local turning club, Gulf Coast Woodturners, web site (http://www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org/) lists members who will provide private instruction in your shop, on your lathe, with your tools.

So, last Wednesday, Professor Bill Berry from GCW showed up at 9AM, set up his easel and white board in my shop and commenced to educate.
We took an hour for lunch at the new Bass Pro Shop a couple of miles down the road and were back at the class until 5:30.

Bill is a great guy and a great teacher. He's a "Gallery" level turner with product all over the US and numerous awards, multi-past President of the GCW, and eager to teach.

So the point of this post is: if you have not considered private lessons think about it. The investment in turning is not inconsiderable and lessons are definitely a worthy part of that investment.

Best regards, Tom, in Houston, practicing what the Master taught.

Steve Schlumpf
11-04-2007, 4:59 PM
Sounds like that had to have been a lot of fun! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings!

Ken Fitzgerald
11-04-2007, 5:26 PM
Congrats Tom! Who would have thought that eating dinner at my son's house among all those turners would have suckered you into the Vortex.....But it did!

Tom Hamilton
11-04-2007, 7:27 PM
You're right Ken, it just shows you never know where the seeds will grow!

Tom

Bernie Weishapl
11-04-2007, 8:44 PM
Congrats Tom. Hope things go well for you. Sounds like you had a good time.

Brett Baldwin
11-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Too true Tom. I missed an opportunity to take a class with Stuart Batty but we did have him demonstrate for our club on Saturday. Lots of great information and many new things to work on. Also, he is a very good presenter and has obviously put a lot of thought into why things work in turning. I got a lot out of the demonstration but from what he said during it, the class would have been even better.

Mike Vickery
11-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Good for you. I have taking lesson on my list of things I need to do one of these days. I am a little afraid of finding out how many bad habits I have developed over the years.

Bobby Perry
11-05-2007, 12:10 PM
Bill Berry is a great guy to know. He has forgot more than I will ever know about turning.:D

Jason Clark2
11-05-2007, 2:31 PM
Good for you. I have taking lesson on my list of things I need to do one of these days. I am a little afraid of finding out how many bad habits I have developed over the years.

You didn't learn how many bad habits you have from Stuart Batty this weekend? I know I did, everthing from sharpening with jigs, to pushing into the cut, using my left thumb as a fulcrum....

Some of those I'm going to try and fix, but I paid for my fingernail jig, I'm going to use it. I've tried sharpening freehand, it's not pretty.

Jason

Mike Vickery
11-05-2007, 2:54 PM
You didn't learn how many bad habits you have from Stuart Batty this weekend? I know I did, everthing from sharpening with jigs, to pushing into the cut, using my left thumb as a fulcrum....

Some of those I'm going to try and fix, but I paid for my fingernail jig, I'm going to use it. I've tried sharpening freehand, it's not pretty.

Jason
Well I have watched one of his video's and seen him demo a couple times before so a lot of what he said I have heard before and was more a reminder.
Yeah I can freegrind some of my tools but the fingernail bowl grind is not one of them. I have a 3/8th P&N that I play with different grinds on so I may play with it a little. I definately will not be going to a 40 degree freehand grind on any of my favorite gouges.

Brett Baldwin
11-05-2007, 11:16 PM
I tried it on that pitiful gouge you saw at the SJF Mike. So far so good, though I'm just guessing at the 40 degrees since I don't have a protractor. I've got a mesquite natural edge that I haven't destroyed yet with it. I really need a slow speed grinder for doing these grinds.