PDA

View Full Version : Looking at a Bedrock I think?

James Williams 007
11-04-2007, 12:24 PM
I was under the impression that bedrocks had square sides like the Lie's but I've seen some with the rounded sides like the bailey's. Is this a case of a frankenplane or were bedrocks made with rounded sides at some point? One more thing I've just restored an old No 7 and the iron has black spot like stuff all over it I've dipped in citric acid and scrubed but it won't go away. Is this just a staining or can it be removed? Thanks

Preston Baxter
11-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Clifton (Clico) in the UK makes a Bedrock style plane with rounded sides.

Preston

Bob Barkto
11-04-2007, 1:08 PM
The early ones (prior to about 1911?) had round sides like the Bailey's.
The frog adjustment is like current Bailey's where you have to remove the blade and not like the later Bedrocks with the frog hold down screws accessible from behind the frog.

Bill Houghton
11-04-2007, 3:37 PM
One more thing I've just restored an old No 7 and the iron has black spot like stuff all over it I've dipped in citric acid and scrubed but it won't go away. Is this just a staining or can it be removed? Thanks

The cool magnifying glass to get folds into a case (and you can get some double glasses that combine for stronger magnification), but anything, even a kid's Sherlock Holmes glass, will work. Or, you may have young enough eyes that you can proceed without it; I did, once upon a time.

If you can see depressions at the black spots, you've got pits in the steel - not the end of the earth. They matter only if they're at the cutting edge. Even there, you might be able to hone a back bevel on the iron - opposite the regular bevel - to avoid them. Or buy a new iron.

If no depressions, then it's probably staining of some kind. Older steels often stain, and it means nothing to the plane's usefulness.

I've never used citric acid, but it's wise to make sure you've neutralized any acid or alkaline cleaner that you use. I think washing a lot, then WD40, then wax or oil, should do it, but I defer to those with more experience.

Marcus Ward
11-04-2007, 3:52 PM
Did you dip it in acid or soak it? It should come clean with al ong enough soak but if it's not pitting, ignore it. It doesn't affect the function.