PDA

View Full Version : Drill Doctor

Blake McCully
11-04-2007, 9:07 AM
Hello all,
I was wondering what the effect of using the Drill Doctor to sharpen you pen making drill bits. The tolerances are so small that 1) could you use the DD to sharpen them without altering the true diameter, 2) if you can, how many times can you use it before the diameter does change, 3) does the DD sharpen brad point bits and parabolic bits?

Also, while we're on the topic of drill bits, is there any jig or machine that will help sharpen forstner bits? I've tried by hand and have really messed things up.

Thanks for any help.

Paul Engle
11-04-2007, 9:58 AM
Ah you should not have to grind the flute on the outer edges, just the points. There is a commercial sharpener for brad point and forstner bits but is spendy. For the forstners i recommed you find a machine shop in the area to regrind em,same shop will do saw blades, router bits etc. on the std drills it will work fine tho the hss bits should not need sharpening for at least a 1000 holes unless you have drilled steel , hss , or other materials with them. Look for HSS with a % of cobalt and they will last longer, or even look for carbide bits online as they cost more but will last way longer.

glenn bradley
11-04-2007, 11:19 AM
Unless they've got something new out the DD is only for split-point bits. A few strokes with a small diameter diamond rod would probably take care of your brad points.

Blake McCully
11-07-2007, 8:37 AM
Thanks for the responses. I'll look for a machine shop to work over my forstner bits.

Thanks again.

Gary DeWitt
11-07-2007, 3:03 PM
Nahh, shouldn't need a machine shop to sharpen forstner bits. A small diamond coated paddle and a small diameter diamond rod designed for sharpening knives will do the trick in about 5 minutes, if there are no nicks in the edges. The paddle is used on the flat side of the edges, carefully keeping it flat to the existing angle. The rod is used on the outer rim, on the INSIDE edge of it, doing your best to follow existing angle. On some forstners, there is a little half round cutout you can also sharpen with the rod. I've been maintaining my bits for years this way, they still cut well.
You can also do this on router bits. Just don't alter the geometry, and definitely don't try to use a grinder.