PDA

View Full Version : Wire inlay

John Keeton
11-04-2007, 7:23 AM
Has anyone attempted wire inlay by use of a laser? Just thinking of ideas for a yet unpurchased laser, and it seems that one could cut the lines for inlaying flat wire. Does anyone have a source for brass or silver inlay wire?

Mike Hood
11-04-2007, 10:10 AM
I don't do artistic wire inlay, but I have engraved wire inlays for marine panels. I do a good deal of marine dash panels and placards that require backlighting and it works really well.

John Keeton
11-04-2007, 1:13 PM
Mike
Did your work involve flat or square wire? My concern would be getting a vector cut the exact width and with perpendicular sides to hold the wire when set in the inlay. Is that the method you used? Also, how do you like your Pinnacle?

Jude Kingery
11-04-2007, 1:26 PM
John, you might try the following for wire, square wire, and different types of metal that are pefect for turning as inlays:

http://www.riogrande.com/

I've purchased casting silver from them before, good quality and decent prices.

Best to you on this endeavor!

Jude

Frank Corker
11-04-2007, 3:43 PM
Jude you need to have a password to view the stuff

Jude Kingery
11-04-2007, 3:48 PM
Frank, sorry - I forgot! I got my access by simply calling them to request a catelogue - great catelogue by the way with all kinds of stuff. So maybe try this number to that company: 1-800-545-6566. Appreciate you calling that to my attention - Jude

Frank Corker
11-04-2007, 6:41 PM
I don't think I'll bother, it's all too international I'm afraid, I just wanted to see some of it in place

Jude Kingery
11-04-2007, 6:56 PM
Ok, but actually I think the company's located in Colorado if I'm not mistaken. Could be, but don't think so. Anyway, least if someone wants the information, they've got it. Jude

Actually, no, they are in New Mexico. Jude

John Keeton
11-04-2007, 7:46 PM
Jude

Thanks for the info. I will check it out. Have you tried the flat wire inlay into a vector cut?

Jude Kingery
11-04-2007, 8:01 PM
Hey John,

You're welcome, glad to be of help - and I'm not sure what a vector cut is so I can't help you there. Also I should've read your post more carefully, as I just use inlay on lathe stuff, turned stuff, inlace, pewter, silver, so the channels I cut for that are with a parting tool and have a square channel to put the inlay in. Anyway, hope that helps! Jude

John Keeton
11-04-2007, 8:06 PM
The source info will be helpful. Sounds like your turning projects have some real class!! I have owned two small lathes over the years, but just couldn't get into it. I would get started on a project and find myself working on another furniture project and never get back to the lathe. Ended up giving away the last lathe and admitting to myself that I just wasn't cut out to turn!

Lee DeRaud
11-04-2007, 11:41 PM
Anybody tried using guitar fret wire for this application?

Jude Kingery
11-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Hey John, glad to be of help on the source anyway. Yep, I like turning, but then again, I'm sure I can't do the stuff you guys do, I can't do any furniture, flat work, measuring, so figure each of us has our niche that we like and mine's the lathe. Oh and just caught Lee's question, no, I've never used guitar fret wire, only wire for burning while turning. Best to you! Jude

Tom Klass
11-05-2007, 4:12 AM
Rockler did sell brass inlay matterial I did some furniture that the customer wanted 1/16th. brass inlay around the pirimater looked outstanding. hope that helps. Tom

John Keeton
11-05-2007, 6:30 AM
In some of the info I have been able to find, apparently the brass tends to be much harder than the silver and consequently will not work down to the wood surface very well leaving it standing a little "proud" of the wood surface. That is why I am leaning toward the silver. The cost is going to be higher, but in the right application, quantity should be small and - hopefully - the price of the piece would absorb the cost difference. Fret wire appears to have a thinner base with a larger diameter top. My thoughts are to work the silver down to the surface in the finishing process. I think that the flat wire will work - just getting a source will be the challenge. I am going to check out the riogrande source. Thanks guys for all your comments. I hope to have something to show for this in the next few months. I will post the fruits of the labor for all to critique!

Richard Rumancik
11-06-2007, 12:39 PM
John
Get a copy of the article on conventional (non-laser) wire inlay here:

http://www.hooverandstrong.com/articles/?id=22

Then look at the resource list at the end of the article.

Hoover and Strong has rectangular wire in their "Mill Products" catalog.

Maybe try T.B Hagstoz and Son as well.

John Keeton
11-06-2007, 8:39 PM
Thanks to all who provided thoughts and sources. I still am not sure whether the channel cut by a laser will have perpendicular sides or will the channel be wider at the bottom or top? From some of the other threads on other topics it sounds like the bottom of the channel may be wider. Anyone have a thought? The answer would affect the width of cut in order to get a tight fit with the flat wire.

Richard Rumancik
11-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Assuming that you are engraving with normal focus on the wood surface, I would expect that the bottom of the groove cut with the laser would be slightly narrower than the top. But at the same time, for the wire sizes that I would expect that you would be using, I doubt that the angularity will be a problem as it might be only .001" difference top to bottom (if that). The wood will also give a little if it needs to. I assume you will be using some kind of press to push the wire into the groove (although I suppose it might be possible to do it with a small plate and a hammer). Did you plan to use any adhesive?

I think you will just have do to some experiments and see what you get. On the upside you can experiment with scraps of wood and lower-cost wire so the materials are not that expensive to learn on. There is not a lot of info on this process even for conventional woodworking/wire inlay and I have not heard of a lot of people doing it. I was investigating the possibility of trying it myself but have not attempted it yet.