PDA

View Full Version : mini or midi

Glenn Valkenburg
11-04-2007, 6:16 AM
Hey All,
I am in the process of getting set up in my garage to start turning and creating. I have seen online the mini and midi lathes. I am confused as to the difference between the two. Feedback to this and which tools(HSS or carbide) will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Glenn

Blake McCully
11-04-2007, 6:43 AM
Glenn,
As near as I can tell, the difference between mini and midi is primarily the manufacturer. Jet makes a "mini" and Delta makes a "midi". I have two Jet minis and have turned an a number of Delta midis. I can't note any difference in size. Also, Fisch makes a smaller lathe but I don't know if they call it a mini or midi.

As far as tools, go with HSS.

Have fun, and keep safe.

Terry Quiram
11-04-2007, 7:37 AM
Glen

Which ever lathe you decide on make it the largest you can afford and fit into the space you have allocated and get a variable speed. You won't regret it. Changing the belt on the pulleys gets old pretty fast.

Terry

Greg Just
11-04-2007, 8:38 AM
I agree with Terry - buy the biggest you can afford and fit into your shop. You can always turn a pen on a mini or a full size lathe, but you can't do large bowls on a mini. Good luck in setting up your shop!:D

Ken Fitzgerald
11-04-2007, 9:38 AM
Glenn, Welcome to the Creek! I've been turning on a Jet VS Mini. I currently have a larger lathe sitting in the crate waiting for me to finish painting the shop.

As far as tools, a lot of folks buy the HF set for about $38. It's HS. I don't think it contains a bowl gouge but you can pretty decent tools for Penn State Industries (PSI) ...brand name Benjamins Best. A lot of folks here have them and like them.

If you don't have a grinder consider getting one. Turning with dull tools is the pitts......

Jim Becker
11-04-2007, 10:03 AM
The difference...the name. Similar tools in similar sizes. But Jet does now have a 12" swing machine that would be worth considering...a "maxi-mini", if you will! :D

Glenn Valkenburg
11-04-2007, 4:05 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it.