PDA

View Full Version : Delta Scroll Saw

Joe Krawczak
11-03-2007, 10:33 PM
I recently bought a Delta 40-640, a 20" scroll saw from a high school auction. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a copy of a manual for this machine? I looked on line a little but with no luck. I was wondering if anyone has any leads.

Thanks,
Joe

Phil Sanders
11-03-2007, 11:35 PM
This will be a long post.

I will try to get a PDF file of my copy manual and parts list at Kinkos next week and forward it to OWM (Old Wood Working Machines, owwm.com { (http://www.owwm.com)just add www to front})

The Delta-PorterGable site doesn't seem to have the parts list or manual for this model at their web site any more. Fine print about sending an Email to someone who will send you an Email back of the PDF file.

You will need to replace the rubber grommet on the upper arm assembly where the blade tension is made. See Rick's place for a how to video (s (http://www.scrollsaws.com/)crollsaws.com/ {just add the www to front}---look on left hand side for link to Scrollsaw Tip video.) Delta part # for grommet is 1343631 cost about a buck, get several. Part number may have been changed since Black and Decker days started. Replace every year.

Be sure to remove the black cover, and look for the two pivot bolts, I think they are 13/16" bolt heads. Remove and clean very, very thoroughly. Mineral Spirits is good for cleaning. All gunk must be removed from brass. Re-oil with SAE 20w or 30W non-detergent oil. 3-in-1 oil in the BLUE can is good. Best not to use the RED can of 3-in-1 oil; gunks up too much. Blue can is better for electric motors. Re-lube about every 25 hours of run time.

Fair warning, those two pivot bolts are screwed into soft Iron threads. Don't over torque when re-inserting or cross thread them. You will fight the two washers, but no big deal.

While you are in there, make sure the link between the Upper and Lower arm at the very back is free to move about. should be some slack, not a whole lot, but some. Saw dust can accumulate and restrict the free motion. That will cause blades to break.

The motor is connected to the lower arm by two small sealed ball bearings which are common at any bearing shop. Should be about $15.00 each, IIRC. Easy to replace, and new bearings make a big difference.

The upper arm blade chuck can be replaced with the Delta Quick Set II blade chuck which is a tool-less blade chuck. #40-251 Amazon.com sells the blade chuck for about $25.00, other places carry the upgrade. (Aside: replacement takes medium level tool knowledge and skills- fair warning. You need to press out a roll pin. Judge your own skills)

Lower blade chuck won't take the upgrade as not enough room for fingers. However, the socket head bolt is most likely stripped out. replacement is a DIN 912, M5 X 10mm Socket Head screw. Black-Oxide. Industrial Supply house McMaster-Carr has replacements item # 91290A224 cost about $6.24 for box of 100.

Lower blade chuck--The socket screw tightens up a square nut. The pressure plate on the bottom has a "P" shape on it. This bulge behind the screw is to help the nut compact flush with #5, #7, or #9 blades. If you expect to be using #3 or smaller, for example #2/0 blades you need to reduce the "P" bulge down 1/32 inch. Good file and a steady hand should do the trick. Blades pop out of lower chuck otherwise.

Also be aware, some Delta 40-640 have been built to take a 5.00 inch scroll saw blade. Most good quality blades today are made overseas, and thus are made to a convenient metric length of about 5.11 inches. These blades are too long for blade tension range of saw. You will need to snip off about 1/8 inch from these blades (Flying Dutchman, Pegsus, and so forth.) Use old Linesman's pliers, and don't forget to use a needle file to remove the burr.

Woodcraft sells replacement throat plates (plastic) which work great.

Most of the above is not in the manual. I should have the OWM file by Friday. Surprised nobody has loaded that manual already.

Also, most users of Delta scroll saws find the dust bellows air system is too under powered. They go and get a fish tank air blower for $25.00 and connect that to the plastic tube for blowing dust. My guess the bellows pumped by the upper arm has wore out by now.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Phil Sanders
11-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Found the link to parts list.

dewaltservicenet.com, add the www. to the front.

on the gray bar, on left hand side, there is a place to enter a search query... enter: Scroll Saw

Query results shows list of Delta and DeWalt scroll saws. Scroll down to your model number and click on the model number.

I don't know the difference between type 1 or type 2.

BTW, the Delta manual is brief and hasn't a lot of information.

Phil

Joe Krawczak
11-05-2007, 8:07 AM
Thanks Phil,

You provided me with a wealth of information to get me started on my new tool. I'll keep my eyes open for that OWM copy of the manual.

Joe