PDA

View Full Version : A cry for help, or nasty trick?

George Elston
11-03-2007, 10:10 PM
There was a thread in the designers forum about puzzle boxes, and I have spent my Saturday working on the design for one. But first I tried a simple puzzle, a 6 piece burr. I present it here for your cutting and cussing pleasure. It MUST be cut from 1/4" stock as it is here.

BTW I got the plans but not the solution, it sits by my chair in the living room and I keep getting close but no cigar. If anybody gets it together PLEASE PLEASE PM me with the solution, or post it here, but it is making me crazy. These things used to be easy for me. I guess I'm getting Uh whats that word, Oh yea senior.

The assembled picture is in the CDR so you don't have to download both files, just the CDR

Patrick Licata
11-04-2007, 8:23 AM
George,
Just follow the colors. Put the blue one where the blue is, the green where the green is etc. etc.:cool: Oh, if it were that easy! I'll have to cut it and give it to my kids to do. My 12 year old son is usually pretty good at these things. Doesn't get it from me! Thanks for the file, Patrick

Dave West
11-04-2007, 10:02 AM
I found this solution, but I can't get it to work.
http://web.media.mit.edu/~walter/MAS-A12/burr/vreugd.html

Dave

Mike Hood
11-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Wow... where were you two weeks ago? (I just drew that one from scratch). they make fun gifts.

:)

I also decided to cut that puzzle a few weeks ago. Do yourself a favor and do them in color though... they're tough to put together :)

Also... there are great videos on YouTube to help with assembly (search for "Gordian's Knot")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNtNQRTdxps

Kenneth Hertzog
11-04-2007, 2:22 PM
Hi George
thanks for the puzzle and will post the results if you wish. I've done a few of these and its really a lot of fun.
ken

Dave West
11-04-2007, 3:47 PM
I did a small computer animation of the solution and posted it on YouTube. It goes pretty quick unfortunately.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcd-HMUO9ak

Lots of fun!

Dave

drew winners
11-04-2007, 7:01 PM
Can you post the v10 for me. That'd make good stocking stuffers for neices and such.

George Elston
11-04-2007, 7:09 PM
If my camera was easily hooked to this computer I would post a picture of my smiling face with the assembled puzzle. Thanks for all the solutions posted, I finally found one that was step by step. I figure I can give these away at craft shows, and sell the solution sheet for $10.00.
Now back to drawing the Japanese puzzle box, I got the interior box completed and assembled, and I see a much easier way to do it now. So just have to draw all the parts for the exterior shell and the locking mechanism, cut everything, assemble, and I'll post pics.

Thanks to ya'll

Mike Hood
11-04-2007, 8:57 PM
And .CDR files right? :D

George Elston
11-04-2007, 9:30 PM
And .CDR files right? :D

Of course Mike, after I've sold a thousand or so, or if they don't sell at all, ya gotta give me a chance to make a living here :o. Maybe I should go the way of LaserBuzz, and sell designs, I love designing, it's the selling I need to get better at.

BTW just finished the cabinet doors with the pineapples, ended up doing an original design, will post pics when the lacquer dries and I can handle them.

Thanks for all the help

Eric Fuller
01-08-2008, 1:21 AM
Hey Fellas,

Just thought I should chime in here. I know Frans (the designer of that puzzle) personally, and also know that that design is not in the public domain. Realisticly, he's not gonna come knocking on your door...that said I make puzzles for a living, full time, and ALWAYS contact the designer. I ask permission and offer to pay a royalty...some just say send me a copy for my collection, but 10% of retail is also very common.

Let your conscience be your guide...

Eric