PDA

View Full Version : Mini lathe chucks????

Mark Singer
02-10-2004, 9:44 AM
Has anyone tried the chucks from Grizzly? Here is the link:
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2004/092.cfm?

Price is very good! I was wondering about performance. Also the Nova Compac is $95 at Woodcraft.
http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=3970&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10000%26Tree%3D%2CDepar tments&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D1030%26menu%5Fid%3D%26T ree%3D0%2CWoodturning&2=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D2089%26menu%5Fid%3D%26T ree%3D1%2CChucks&Gift=False&mscssid=013907D0422D24CC0BAAA9C7C35CAAC9
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Stan Smith
02-10-2004, 11:05 AM
I have a Oneway scroll chuck on mine, but I'm getting a Oneway Talon chuck.

Stan

John Miliunas
02-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Mark, I tried a "no-name" chuck when I first got my lathe. Not sure how many ways you can spell j-u-n-k, but that's what it was! Fortunately, the vendor also knew it and didn't have a problem taking it back. I then went with the Nova Compact and was quite pleased. Kind of a pain, with the two levers and all, but a nice little chuck and I think sized right for a mini. Good quality, but if you are buying it locally, I would take it out of the package before leaving the store and working the action on it, just to be sure. They had some minor manufacturing issues (this is back a year or more ago), which tended to make some of the action pretty stiff. I believe this has been corrected, but just in case you get one from an older lot... :cool:

Richard Allen
02-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Hey Mark

How long have you had the lathe? Do you really think a $100 chuck is going to work?

Start looking at the Oneway Talon for that mini. And while you are at it start pricing a Oneway 2436 with a 3 HP motor and bed extension...

If you can limit your purchases on woodturning to less than $1000 by the end of winter you are a better man than I. If spending $3000 by Summer is not in your plans then you should box that lathe up right now and sell it for half what you paid for it.

Seriously, the Nova Compact chuck is a LOT better than the Grizzly chuck and the Nova Compact is really bad at holding onto wood. The Super Nova, Oneway Talon, Small Axminster or small Vicmarc are the chucks to look at.

You also need to join "WA" (Woodturners Anonymous AKA your local chapter of the AAW) so you can get a handle on this addiction. At least they will be able to help you acquire the right tools and will likely get you some discounts.

Good Luck

Jeff Rich
02-10-2004, 7:39 PM
I have the Grizzly chuck and it works fine for me.
It took a bit for me to learn to use it.
I was very leary at first, because I launched a couple of bowls, but now I know just how to make the tenon or recess.
I have made many a bowl and goblet with its use.
But then again, I tinker with everything.

John Shuk
02-10-2004, 9:01 PM
I have the Supernova chuck and I am still getting the hang of it. I like it though. I also got a super deal on it on EBAY. I got the chuck with almost all the extra jaws for a little over $300. Priced out everywhere else it is about $550.00. Brand new. The guy usually has that package and other stuff on EBAY. Just search for Nova Chuck and then view his other auctions. I have no affiliation but what a deal. Good luck.

John Miliunas
02-10-2004, 10:15 PM
I have the Supernova chuck and I am still getting the hang of it. I like it though. I also got a super deal on it on EBAY. I got the chuck with almost all the extra jaws for a little over $300. Priced out everywhere else it is about $550.00. Brand new. The guy usually has that package and other stuff on EBAY. Just search for Nova Chuck and then view his other auctions. I have no affiliation but what a deal. Good luck.

John, while I agree that the Super Nova is an excellent choice, are you running yours on a "mini"? I think the Super is geared more toward the "midi" and full-size lathes. I picked up the Super, but only after checking with a number of people regarding its size on my "midi". It's definitely superior to the Compact, but I just wonder about the power on the "mini". Something to think about... :cool:

Terry Quiram
02-11-2004, 7:05 AM
Mark
There is a Talon on my wife's mini and I use a Stronghold on my 16/42. We have never been happier with the choices we made.
Terry

Mark Singer
02-11-2004, 7:28 AM
Richard,
I am learning to turn wood to round off my abilities as a woodworker. As a craft...turning seems very limited to me. Everything you will make on a lathe is round. How many bowls, pens and covered boxes does one household need? I just got the Jet mini and paid $175 for it. I bought a set of Marples turning tools on Ebay for $34 I want to learn to use these modest tools to their potetial. Many woodworkers are constantly upgrading their tools instead of their skill level....that is why so many posts are related to "which is better this gaget or that gaget". When you check their threads...the actual work they have posted is usually not that extensive and does not represent the potential of their shop and its equipment. I am sure that Richard Raffan can turn finer bowls on my little Jet than most turners can on an expensive Oneway 2436 ! This is really what I am interested in. With the finest lathe I will still only be able to make some nice round bowls etc. The rest of my shop has produced almost every piece of furniture in my home....chairs,tables sofas, beds, cabinets , lamps and my recent posts support it. Not all of the "flat " things I have made are flat either...some are organic and senuous...I have enjoyed the intimacy of wood as it it worked by a spoke shave or rasp and in its finallity serves the family in means that go beyond just sitting there and looking pretty. I am not ready to sell the Jet mini...after all I just got it a week ago! For me woodworking is about doing something with what you have rather than making a collection of fine tools that remain idle....

John Weber
02-11-2004, 8:31 AM
Mark,

I’m not sure about turning being “limiting”, some of the most creative woodworkers I know are turners. They tend to start with pens/simple bowls and develop over time in to unique hollow forms, unusual creations, and other wonderful uses of wood. I think I would stick with it a bit, I turn a very little, but do have opportunity to incorporate turning into my woodworking.

As for woodworkers vs. tools collectors, I think the forums in general make it seem as everyone is building shops and only doing a little woodworking. For me woodworking is really two hobbies, one is shop building, setup, tools, etc… I really enjoy this, installing electrical, DC, cabinets, modifying tools, etc… Some people only prefer to woodwork, and don’t really care for tool talk, and that is fine and may be your situation. As for my self, my shop time is so limited with a 1 and 4 year old, I do focus more on small projects and shop projects. The thought of larger pieces sitting in the shop for a year just doesn’t appeal to me now, maybe in couple years when the kids are older and I can get some more shop time. For now I can surf, talk tools, make smaller scope projects, and work on shop improvements. I enjoy it all.

I’m not a fan of Grizzly, and for a semi critical piece such as a chuck, I would be a bit hesitant to by a discount item. You really don’t want to send your work flying off the lathe at you. I’ve had go luck with KMS Tools in Canada; they carry Nova, and offer some excellent prices and packages. It does seem turning can get expensive, but I would at least invest in a name brand unit. I have a Super Nova, and have been very pleased.

Finally, I would love to produce much more furniture then I have, so hopefully over time I can. I’ve seen your posts and know you are a superb woodworker, and have some creative designs and uses of wood.

John

http://www.kmstools.com

Mark Singer
02-11-2004, 9:57 AM
John,
I appreciate your input....we all have a place on SMC and it is a great community and a wealth of useful information and great people willing to share it. I feel that many woodworkers are very quick to upgrade their equipment before they have learned to use it properly. I have a great shop with wonderful equipment...tools I have collected for years. As I moved up I graduated slowly to absorb what can be learned of each tool. In this way you know the shortcomings as well as the attributes. You then really appreciate the finer tools once you have them. I have many tools passed down to me from my father ...some belonged to my grandfather...there is certainly a special connection that seems to transfer to me through these precious gifts. A feeling that pervades the entire space and establishes a heritage of crafstmen. With that there is an undelying pressure and promise that I must live up to the heritage. It is a quiet voice asking for "the best". I see this as a positive thing ...it has pushed me to do my best work as an architect and as a furniture maker. I stand on the shoulders of those who preceeded me and must continue producing my best work...I don't think my father or grandfather would feel as fulfilled to know their tools are well kept and preserved ...stored in a nice tool chest. It is with this passion that I pursue each project ...starting with a blank piece of paper, an idea, and the feeling that I am being watched by a couple of great men with high expectations. I think my son Ryan shares these feelings in his persuits...if not in this life,then when?

Hal Peeler
02-11-2004, 10:03 AM
Has anyone tried the chucks from Grizzly? Here is the link:
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2004/092.cfm?

Price is very good! I was wondering about performance. Also the Nova Compac is $95 at Woodcraft.
http://shop.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=3970&gift=False&0=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D10000%26Tree%3D%2CDepar tments&1=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D1030%26menu%5Fid%3D%26T ree%3D0%2CWoodturning&2=dept%2Easp%2Cdept%5Fid%3D2089%26menu%5Fid%3D%26T ree%3D1%2CChucks&Gift=False&mscssid=013907D0422D24CC0BAAA9C7C35CAAC9
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Mark, exactly which chuck were you looking at in grizzly? I also have the jet mini and was thinking about getting an inexpensive chuck. I have turned lots of pens and duck and deer calls but would like to try my hand at small bowls and such but I don't know anything about chucks and how to buy one. This lathe stuff is more addictive than golf!
Hal

Mark Singer
02-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Hal,
I am still researching...it appears that the Talon is a good one. The comments on the Grizzly are not good if you read them! That is the beauty of SMC!

Mark Mazzo
02-11-2004, 10:13 AM
Mark,

I have the Nova Compac chuck for my Delta Midi lathe (essentially the same as the Jet Mini). Although I don't have any other chuck experiences to compare to, it seems to work reasonably well, especially if you factor in the cost of it as compared to other chucks. It is a small chuck and relatively light in weight so it seems a good match for the mini/midi size lathe. It does sometimes allow the work to move if I have a catch:eek:, but that's probably due to my inexperience rather than a shortcoming of the chuck design/performance.

My feeling was that for the money, even if I ended up upgrading to a better chuck later, I could still use the Nova Compac for smaller stuff.

Hopefully this helps you some in your decision.

--Mark

Mark Singer
02-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Mark,
Thanks I may just get the Nova Compac...it is less than half the cost of the Talon

Bill Grumbine
02-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Hi Mark

I would recommend either the Vicmarc small chuck or the Oneway Talon. I have the Talon and use it on a regular basis for my Vicmarc mini lathe. The quality of the chuck you buy will affect the quality of work you can produce on your lathe.

John, I have used my Oneway Stronghold on my Vicmarc mini many a time before I got my Talon. Any of these minis will spin a Talon or a Supernova, which is the same size, with no trouble at all.

Bill

John Miliunas
02-11-2004, 1:35 PM
John, I have used my Oneway Stronghold on my Vicmarc mini many a time before I got my Talon. Any of these minis will spin a Talon or a Supernova, which is the same size, with no trouble at all.

Bill

Bill, good information to have for future reference! I didn't know for sure, hence my reluctance in suggesting any of the "big guns" for the mini. I know I sure do enjoy using my Super Nova! :cool:

John Shuk
02-11-2004, 9:40 PM
John,
You are right I spin my SuperNova on a jet 1236. I just think that it would most likely work well for the Mini and also be a good chuck for any future upgrades.
Mark,
As to the other question. How many pens and such can one house have? I am a pretty new turner and sometimes I say the same thing to myself. Yet I have found that at least here in the northeast I am constantly coming across bits and pieces of wonderful hardwood destined for a chipper. Not having alot of confidence in myself just yet I have cut many burls and crotches into blanks and I just love the idea of showing people what can be found in what they think is a cancer on the tree. I can't wait to try to bring justice to the wood. As I go on and on my point is that while the goofy little novelties may get boring I'm not sure putting a gouge to an unrevealed piece of wood ever will. I do however have to agree that I am alot better at buying tools than turning out work. We all have our vices and this one could be worse. Good Luck.
John

Mark Singer
02-11-2004, 10:27 PM
John,
We could all have worse vices and we are all having fun! Thanks for the helpful info on the chucks.