PDA

View Full Version : Wood Faces on Vise?

Dennis McDonaugh
02-10-2004, 9:17 AM
What kind of wood faces do you put on your bench vises? I put Brazilian Cherry on the one vise and maple on the other. These are pretty hard woods, probably harder than the walnut, oak and cherry I usually use for projects so I wonder if I shouldn't use something like poplar so it won't mark the wood I'm clamping?

Donnie Raines
02-10-2004, 9:33 AM
I used Beech.....whcih is what many "manufactured" benchs are contrcuted off. Its strong yet somehwhat soft.

DonnieR

Jim Jones 35
02-10-2004, 9:34 AM
[QHiUOTE=Dennis McDonaugh]What kind of wood faces do you put on your bench vises? I put Brazilian Cherry on the one vise and maple on the other. These are pretty hard woods, probably harder than the walnut, oak and cherry I usually use for projects so I wonder if I shouldn't use something like poplar so it won't mark the wood I'm clamping?[/QUOTE]
Hi Dennis,I built a vise for my shop and faced the jaws with leather to keep from maring the wood.Works great.Jim

Mark Singer
02-10-2004, 9:57 AM
I have beech on 2 and maple on another which is a big Record vise. I use a strip of roll sandpaper that is peel and stick along the top...and change it if it looks bad. The sandpaoer really helps the grip and you dont have to tighten the vise as much.

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-10-2004, 10:50 AM
Used to use just Poplar
It's soft enough to conform to odd shapes,
yet hard enough to last awhile -
With 100 of youngsters crushing things in the vises.
D :cool: