PDA

View Full Version : Which is the strong joint for cabinetry?

Rick Cicciarelli
11-03-2007, 6:02 PM
So I was going to build a router table (cabinet style) and I'm thinking of a few other projects as well. I've been wanting to go out and buy a biscuit jointer for a few years now but I've never been able to justify it. My router seems to work for most everything. I am curious however which joint is a stronger joint. Dado with glue alone, Dado with glue and screws from the outside of the cabinet, or a simple butt joint utilizing biscuits and glue? Just curious. I appreciate the input.

Greg Muller
11-03-2007, 6:29 PM
Rick,
I started a thread a few weeks ago asking almost this same question, and received more various responses than I could shake a dowel pin at. I eventually found the following video showing a test that Wood Mag did. You have to see this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhLfb7m9Fug

enjoy...:)

Greg

Gary Keedwell
11-03-2007, 7:12 PM
Come on Greg...don't leave us in suspense.:)
Gary

Greg Muller
11-03-2007, 7:38 PM
Didn't the link work okay for you, Gary? I just tried it again and didn't have any trouble...:confused:

Or are you messin' with me?

Gary Keedwell
11-03-2007, 7:51 PM
Didn't the link work okay for you, Gary? I just tried it again and didn't have any trouble...:confused:

Or are you messin' with me?

Naw, I'm not messin with ya. Just don't have the time to watch it. LOML picked up Spiderman 3 and I have to leave for the nite....http://www.free-animations.co.uk/home/tools/images/tool_15.gifBye....

Don C Peterson
11-03-2007, 8:14 PM
If memory serves they found that the good old Mortise and Tenon joint was by far the strongest.

Rick Cicciarelli
11-03-2007, 8:18 PM
That was an AWESOME VIDEO!!! :D I wish it was longer!!! Sounds like either one of the joints I mentioned above would work really well if done correctly. I can't imagine someone trying to pull my router cabinet apart with more than 250 lbs of pressure :p

frank shic
11-03-2007, 10:43 PM
That was an AWESOME VIDEO!!! :D I wish it was longer!!! Sounds like either one of the joints I mentioned above would work really well if done correctly. I can't imagine someone trying to pull my router cabinet apart with more than 250 lbs of pressure :p

congratulations rick. you've just proven that you are ONE OF US. welcome to the asylum! ;)

glenn bradley
11-03-2007, 11:22 PM
Agreed, great video. I use dado and glue, dado glue and screws and butt joints with pocket holes. All have been more than satisfactory for shop cabinets.

Greg Muller
11-03-2007, 11:23 PM
congratulations rick. you've just proven that you are ONE OF US. welcome to the asylum! ;)

Y'know Frank, I haven't been here on the 'Creek for long, but I have noticed something. Although most of our fellow woodworkers are a little nuts about their tools, projects and the quality of their work, they are really about the most sane group of people I've ever run into. Perhaps all that peaceful time spent working with their hands, on a piece of God's fine wood, levels them out a bit. I'm sure it has helped me...

peace, man...

now that I have that out my system, HOW ABOUT THOSE (insert favorite NFL team here)?!?!??!?!!

:o Greg

Gary Keedwell
11-04-2007, 12:47 AM
Y'know Frank, I haven't been here on the 'Creek for long, but I have noticed something. Although most of our fellow woodworkers are a little nuts about their tools, projects and the quality of their work, they are really about the most sane group of people I've ever run into. Perhaps all that peaceful time spent working with their hands, on a piece of God's fine wood, levels them out a bit. I'm sure it has helped me...

peace, man...

now that I have that out my system, HOW ABOUT THOSE (insert favorite NFL team here)?!?!??!?!!

:o Greg

Hey:eek: Who you calling sane?http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x286/jc623/cigar.gif http://www.woodworkslive.com/Smileys/default/evil.gif

frank shic
11-04-2007, 9:19 AM
rick, you can build a cabinet in many different ways but it comes down to speed and the equipment you have. if you're just building a basic cabinet for your router table, you can use almost any method: dados, rabbets, dados and screws, floating mortise and tenons (notice how i did NOT plug the amazing festool domino cutter this time?), dowels, biscuits or... my favorite: confirmat screws.

it also depends on what kind of material you're using. if you're using any of the sheet products (mdf, plywood, melamine) i think you'll have a hard time cutting real tenon joints on the tops and bottoms. the question really is: how strong do YOU need the joint to be and how much time do you want to spend?

another factor is how are you going to hold the pieces in place while you fasten them? if you use clamps, you will find on the larger base units that it gets more and more cumbersome manipulating the cabinet towards the end because of the combined weight of those clamps - especially the bessey clamps! stapling/pin nailing is my method of choice for initial fastening followed by screws. once i get my hands on a domino cutter, i think i'll build a few cabinets with just dominos and staples to clamp the case together while it dries.