PDA

View Full Version : Router bit sets

Ken Shoemaker
11-03-2007, 5:18 PM
I just ordered the BenchDog ProMax Router Table for my Delta Contractors saw. In addition, I added a Pro Lift router lift to go with it. Coupled with a Porter-Cable 7518, 5 speed, router I should have a geat setup for my confined space woodworking.

My question is, I do not have one 1/2" router bit. Cost is a huge detail. I'm quickly running out of funding. I was looking at the MCLS 66 peice set and wondering if it was good quality or if there was a better option?????

BTW - ProLift is shipping Dec. 7th according to Amazon. Picture will be forthcoming after installation..... Promise:)

Tom Veatch
11-03-2007, 5:31 PM
I'm not familar with the MCLS (MLCS?) set, so I won't comment on it specifically. However, I have used MLCS bits, and have not been disappointed with them.

Since you don't have any 1/2" shank bits, I'm going to suggest that, unless you already know which bits you will be using most, opt for a fairly extensive but inexpensive set. They may not be the best quality nor the longest lasting, but they should be OK for occasional use to prevent a trip to the store. Then as they dull or wear out, you can replace them with quality bits. That way, instead of having a lot of money tied up in unused or rarely used bits, your investment will be spread over time and will be concentrated in those bits which are most useful to you.

Just my 2 cents (and worth almost every penny of it)

Just took a look at the MLCS 66 bit set on their web page, and at under $3.00/bit on average, it looks like about what I had in mind with my suggestion.

scott spencer
11-03-2007, 5:53 PM
To me $190 for router bits is a considerable chunk of change. Considering that "Cost is a huge detail", I think spending $190 for Asian import quality bargain bits is not a good investment. With a set that size, you'll have alot of redundancy and alot of unused bits, and you get bargain quality.

Whiteside, Infinity, or Freud caliber bits are higher quality, perform better, last longer, and can easily be obtained in that price range (or less :) ).

Holbren offers the 7 pc basic Whiteside set (http://www.holbren.com/home.php?xid=a73b59f92bd396015341467adab42ad3)for ~ $80 shipped with "SMC10" discount code. You get top quality cutters in the most commonly used profiles at a really good price, plus have more money left over for additional profiles.
http://www.holbren.com/skin1/images/custom/main.jpg

Infinity and Freud both offer good sets too.

FWW recently rated Whiteside and Infinity as "Excellent", with Whiteside ranked "Best Overall" and "Best Value".

If you'd prefer to get the bargain bits, go with a smaller set so that your cash outlay is smaller.

Dick Bringhurst
11-03-2007, 6:00 PM
I agree with what Scott said. Dick B.

Bill Wyko
11-03-2007, 6:44 PM
Ditto! I'd buy the few quality ones you know your going to use regularly and pick up one or two good ones as you need them. IMHO

Jeffrey Makiel
11-03-2007, 8:01 PM
Holbren makes a smaller set comparably value-priced to MLCS. Except the Holbren set focuses on commonly used profiles. I use MLCS stuff and have no complaints. I also use other bits like Freud, Eagle America, DeWalt, Bosch, etc. They are fine too.

-Jeff :)

Brian Weick
11-03-2007, 8:40 PM
Ken,
I bought the MCLS 66 Set last year, Very happy with the bits- they seem to stay sharp and have a nice clean cut on whatever wood your shaping. You just have to use the bits according to speed and species of wood as you would any other router bit and they will last. I had a problem with one of the ogees I damaged, a staple I missed on the end of the wood caught the cutting bit and they sent me one for free-NC. good customer service.
It's not a Freud , but they work well and have stayed sharp for me.
Brian

Jim O'Dell
11-03-2007, 8:46 PM
I've been buying the 5.00 Woodcraft bits while I learn. I had a 12 piece Craftsman set in 1/4" from years ago. They helped me build my first kitchen. The next one will require some nicer profiles. I'd say get a few cheap ones, or even a small 20.00 set or 2 from Woodcraft or Rockler, or on line of some common profiles, and play with them. Then see what you will be building and buy better bits for what you will actually use. If you will be building cabinet doors, decide what style you want, and get that set. I would think a 66 piece set would be confusing, and of low enough quailty that you would get frustrated. You decided on a geeat set up for your router table, get quality bits...just get them slowly. You don't have to have them all right now. Besides...we always end up with more in the "software" than the "hardware"!!:D Jim.

glenn bradley
11-03-2007, 9:11 PM
I have had decent luck with MLCS but they do dull faster than other bits I have. A set is a nice way to get a feel for what router bits you may use but, from my experience you will not use 75% of those 66 bits very often, if at all. Remember, this is just my experience, YMMV.

I have had great service out of Whiteside bits, Freud and Amana have been good too. Scott points out a very nice starter set. Here's a Gary Rogowski article where he recommends a starter set including (oddly enough) those in the set Scott mentions plus some others; http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDF/011186062.pdf

As long as I'm rattling on about what I have learned about the way I work I might as well say; a boatload of bits is not necessarily a lot of bits you will use. What I use the most:

LOTs of different straight and flush bits.
3 sizes of round overs.
Chamfer (I even have a router and plate dedicated to a chamfer bit setup).
Drawer lock.
Rail and stile.

Again, that's just me.

P.s. Congrats on the RT setup . .. that is gonna be sweet.

Don Stutsman
11-03-2007, 9:35 PM
I have quite a collection of MLCS bits and have had very good performance out of them. However, I would go with Whiteside or Amana if I were about to begin a large project requiring a lot of router work. The MLCS bits are great for occasional use.

Jim O'Dell
11-03-2007, 11:30 PM
Ken, I just sat down and watched NYW I recorded earlier this afternoon. It was on routers and the last thing Norm talked about was bits. What he recommended was:
set of 4 straight bits for daddos
set of ? spiral bits for mortises
set of 4 quarter round over
set of ? cove bits
showed 1 Roman Ogee bit, but they may come in sizes also. He said he rarely used it.
1 chamfer bit.
In his bit caddy, he had some dovetail bits. This would depend on what dovetail system you use.
Maybe also watch the bulk buy for 2008 contributors. There is supposed to be 6(?) router bit sets to choose from at a good deal. Not sure what brand they are yet. Here is a copy and paste from Keith's post:
November's Bulk Buy
Our first Bulk Buy this year includes several very high quality router bit sets from Centurion Tools. Our Contributors will be able to select from 6 different router bit sets that Centurion Tools are offering for this Bulk Buy, but only during the month of November. Details for this Bulk Buy will be posted later this evening.

I haven't seen the details posted yet, and I was under the idea that this was posted a day or two ago. I'm waiting to see what they are. And plan to go to the vender to see what they offer after I finish here.:cool: Hope this helps! Jim.

Keith Outten
11-04-2007, 3:39 AM
Anyone shopping for router bits we will be posting a new thread today on our new Bulk Buy that has six router bit sets from Centurion Tools. These are very high quality solid carbide router bits that will be availible just for the month of November here at a discount price.

I was on travel yesterday to Kitty Hawk North Carolina to a ShopBot Camp. A Centurion Representative was there and I got a second chance to check out some of their router bit sets. Several of the sets Centurion has put together for us are not on their web site, these are new offerings that we will be the first to see.

Ken Shoemaker
11-04-2007, 6:29 AM
THANK YOU!!! to all who shared their considerable knowlege with me. There can be no doubt I'll make an informed decision soon.

Ken

James Ayars
11-04-2007, 7:54 PM
A buddy of mine went the route that several of you suggest. he bought a Craftsman 30 bit set for $99 then bought better ones as he dulled the originals. After remodeling a 11 room farm house, including the ktichen, only one has needed replacing.

My first set of bits was from Skil. They worked amazingly well for me. Any shortcomings wre the fault of the operator not the bit.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=209175-353-91015&lpage=none

James

Matt P
11-05-2007, 12:02 AM
For what it's worth, I just read the Fine Woodworking 2008 Tool Review Issue and it listed the best bits ("Excellent") as Eagle, Whiteside, Lee Valley. "Good": Bosch. Fair: MCLS bits

Ken Shoemaker
11-05-2007, 5:23 PM
Matt
That locks me into the Whiteside that scott suggest... Again thank you all.... Ken

Quesne Ouaques
11-05-2007, 6:15 PM
I do have the 66 piece set with 1/2" shanks. I live about 30 minutes from the showroom, and I bought them several years ago when I was in looking around in the shop. I have found the tech support and customer service to be excellent.

I've been very happy with the bits. The quality is good overall. I did have a very strange problem with rusting on nearly all of the shanks less than 6 months after buying them. I brought them into the store, Jeff took one look and gave me a new set off the shelf.

Two weeks later the customer service folks sent me a second set by mistake. I called up to ask them how I should return it. They apologized for the problem and they said I could keep the second set too!

FYI - I do agree with some folks on the thread that you will have lots of bits that you'll never use with this set. Sometimes it's nice to have them, though, and it does make for some fun experimentation.

Mike Henderson
11-05-2007, 6:50 PM
I bought the 66 piece MLCS set and have been satisfied. There are a lot of bits that I don't use or don't use very much but it's nice to know that when I have some special task, I can go to the set and find something that will work - but not always. I have bought a bunch of special bits in addition to the set.

If you find that you're using some of the bits a lot and you want to replace them with higher quality bits, just buy those as premium bits.

Disclaimer - I only use bits for hobby work - not for commercial work.

Mike