PDA

View Full Version : CMT Bit

Don L Johnson
11-03-2007, 4:48 PM
I snapped the end off of a CMT screw slotting bit, so went up to Woodcraft to get another one. They had one left, but oddly enough, this CMT bit got through the QA process without getting any orange paint on it. I tried to get a discount just for the heck of it, but of couse, Woodcraft can't do anything like that "because of the computer". I'm sure this doesn't have an affect on the bit, but has anyone else experienced this with a CMT bit...just curious?

Norman Pyles
11-03-2007, 10:22 PM
All my CMT bits are orange, except the spiral. HTH

Brian Gumpper
11-04-2007, 9:32 AM
What is the shank diameter? Is it possible it's solid carbide? A lot of times the smaller bits are.

Jason Kite
11-04-2007, 9:43 AM
You may want to try and talk with CMT directly. I had the same thing happen with a Freud bit years ago. They (Freud) replaced it free of charge. It was a dovetail bit.

Don L Johnson
11-04-2007, 1:03 PM
The one that I broke was orange (1/2" shank); the only one they had left when I went to get a replacement was the non-orange. It's probably one of those 1% that gets through the QA process. I'm sure it doesn't change the cutting characteristics.

Brian Gumpper
11-04-2007, 2:35 PM
I recall seeing some of the smaller diameter straight bits without paint. With a 1/2" shank, it wouldn't bee solid carbide and the ones on their website show carbide tipped.

They either changed the process or forgot the paint. Either way, I'm sure it cuts great.

As far as it breaking, I would contact them. The bits that neck down like the keyhole and dovetails are prone to breaking and I'm sure they will replace it.