PDA

View Full Version : could laser be used to brand?

Micheal Donnellan
11-03-2007, 4:37 PM
this is done by soldering gadget
http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-1291217,.html

Could this be done by a laser, say with a marking head as they are very fast and no worry about hitting lens. Sounds like a possibe new market if you could get around the whole health requirements.

Shane Turner
11-03-2007, 4:50 PM
That's ... disturbing.

Most laser's probably aren't spacious enough for a person anyway. Though if if they're silly enough to want to be branded, I'm sure they won't mind a bit of amputation to make it a good fit.

Frank Corker
11-03-2007, 5:15 PM
That's just bizarre. Why on earth anyone would have something done like that beggars belief!

Steven Smith
11-03-2007, 6:59 PM
That's just bizarre. Why on earth anyone would have something done like that beggars belief!
Just think how 'cool' it'll look when they're 50-yrs!:(

Darren Null
11-03-2007, 9:02 PM
Heh. I always fancied a tattoo, but could never settle on a design I liked enough to have for the rest of my life.
Branding is pretty lightweight though, these days, as body modification goes:
http://www.bmezine.com/
WARNING: If you follow the above link, you may never get the images out of your head. Own risk; don't blame me; don't eat first etc etc.

EDIT: I've actually had a couple of people approach me and ask if I could do this sort of thing. I managed to put them off because it's not really what I want to be doing. Also, it would hurt like hell and I don't think it would come out well, as keeping somebody still enough for the burn to complete would be very difficult. Even for a little one, you'd have to keep the relevant part of the body absolutely still for the 30 secs or so that would be required. I couldn't think of a method of twitch-proofing that would work well enough to get a professional result. Health and safety wouldn't be too much of a factor...ground zero of a CO2 laser burn is the last place you're going to get germs and nothing touches the effected area.

Eric Allen
11-04-2007, 7:03 PM
I'm thinking with the laser, instead of a welt, you'd have a recess. I'm guessing a dermatologist would be able to answer this one best, since CO2 is used on certain issues. They use 3 different lasers if I remember correctly, each for a different situation. CO2 I think is for surface treatment. I would be terrified of liability on something like that even if it was a good outcome. Smokers have been warned for years about the permanent dangers and still get settlements for self inflicted damage, so precedent would be against anyone doing this.

Larry Bratton
11-04-2007, 7:42 PM
this is done by soldering gadget
http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-1291217,.html

Could this be done by a laser, say with a marking head as they are very fast and no worry about hitting lens. Sounds like a possibe new market if you could get around the whole health requirements.
Are you nuts?

Micheal Donnellan
11-04-2007, 8:14 PM
Are you nuts?
yes! I believe so

Still, people do some quite weird stuff with their bodies so why not stick a laser on a big robot arm and have a big table to strap them down and then zap the vict.. customer with the design the want to have when their old and even crazier.

Darren Null
11-04-2007, 8:29 PM
I can't see a way of immobilising somebody well enough that they wouldn't twitch while the design was being done. All the other self-decoration methods are manual, so the artist can lift off midway and let the vict....erm...customer settle down again. There isn't that option with the laser- Once you hit the start button the target cannot move AT ALL until the burn is finished or the design would be wrecked, and I just can't see that happening. Large designs wouldn't be an option at all, due to the contours of the human body and focus problems, in addition to twitching.

Interesting theoretical problem.

Bill Cunningham
11-04-2007, 9:44 PM
Ya!!! It wasn't all that much fun for the "New You" Doctor in "Logans Run":D

Belinda Barfield
11-06-2007, 7:45 AM
I have no idea how painful this would be, but I'm guessing pretty painful. I had laser treatments on my leg following an auto accident. I know this is a different type of laser but, prior to treatment, I had my leg packed in ice for about ten minutes and it still hurt like HECK! I could hardly hold still. So, all I can say is have some good straps on hand! :eek:

Wil Lambert
11-06-2007, 8:50 AM
I have put a lot of thought into trying this. I know of a few people that would actually let me try it out and could probably handle this type of pain. The ocncept is ok but the actuallity of doing this procedure is not totally feasible. When you do a brand the depth and stick time will change depending on what you want to accomplish. While some may not agree with it branding has become a fairly large worldwide market. It seems to be the new thing with business people instead of tattooing. FYI- I have been involved with the body modification industry for the past 15 years. While I don't actively tattoo or pierce, I did spend a few years while in my teens as a professional body piercer. Once I had a family I need to find a "real" job that paid better. Design and computers were a better choice in the long haul Wil

Darren Null
11-06-2007, 9:09 AM
Quite aside from the 'twitch factor' (and even if your client could handle the pain, I'm sure they'd still twitch), you'd also have to consider the load-bearing capacity of your machine. I believe that an adult male, just having an arm tattoo done for example, could easily exceed the load-bearing capacity of my machine by pushing down on the bed and trying not to move.

It's technically possible, but I can't think of any way of doing it without chloroforming the customer first...

Bill Cunningham
11-06-2007, 10:29 PM
Maybe it just falls under the old saying "No Sense, no Feeling".. :eek:

Ryan O'Hara
11-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Pretty interesting...

http://www.makezine.com/blog/F3VMGDMF5Y3TM0S.MEDIUM.jpg
http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive/2007/08/how_to_laser_cut_and_cook.html