PDA

View Full Version : captive hollowing rig

joe zarnitz
11-03-2007, 2:24 PM
has anyone built there own rig---if so details please---tks,joe

Bill Bolen
11-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Haven't made one yet myself but this site has a ton of good info and the deep boring set up has been added.
http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/laymar_crafts-hints.htm
Bill

Reed Gray
11-03-2007, 11:17 PM
I recently had one made. I wanted to be able to hold 3/4 inch shafts, and reach out up to 2 feet, although I have only gone 13 inches. I need to get a steady rest. I got a section of 1.5 inch diameter DOM steel (stands for drawn on a mandril, basically it is 1 1/2 inch diameter and had a 3/4 inch hole down the center). They stock it according to the wall thickness, not the bore. I had an 11 inch long section bores out to 13/16, and had that welded onto a 30 inch piece of 1 1/2 inch pipe. To this, I had a 6 by 24 inch piece of the pipe welded on to make the D shaped handle. I drilled the appropriate set screw holes in the DOM material. I made a plywood rest for the handle (1 1/2 inch wide slot, 24 inch long and at proper height for keeping the cutters on center height. It attaches to the lathe with a 1/2 inch bolt through a bubinga pressure plate under the ways, and I tighten it with a big butterfly nut. I use a standard straight rest for the front of the tool. I got the various inserts so I can use 5/8, 1/2, 3/8, and 1/4 inch shafted hollow form shafts. Pretty simple, and about $150 total. Still don't know how to take pictures and put them on the forum.

robo hippy

Richard Madison
11-04-2007, 1:45 AM
Reed,
We wanna see it. No digital camera? Got a polaroid camera and a scanner? Just a thought. Can visualize that you built a pretty neat rig, and/but would be good to see it too.

Reed Gray
11-04-2007, 11:39 AM
I have a digital camera, I have a scanner, but I have no idea how to proceed. I signed up for a class at a local community center that would have educated me on how to do that, but it turned out to be on the same day as one show I was doing. It will be offered again next year, so I will take it then. Maybe I can finally start posting pictures.
robo hippy

Richard Madison
11-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Reed,
The wood turner forum folks usually suggest joining a club and getting a mentor. My excuse is that I have a $49 XMart camera that takes blurry pictures. Am attempting to learn more about digital cameras and have authorization from the chief to buy a decent one, if I can learn what that is.

Maybe next year we can wowem' with pictures of our stuff. Hope so, cause I wanna see your hollowing rig.

Bill Wyko
11-05-2007, 12:58 AM
If yoy catch the episode of woodworks when D Marks uses his Oneway lathe to make a HF, he uses a home made setup.

robert hainstock
11-05-2007, 9:30 AM
For Several Years Now Consumer Reports Has Picked Canon Digicams As Their "best Buys". I Resently Got An Mod A570 That Takes Outstanding Pix And If I Ever Take The Time To Learn May Way Around The Pixel Shirnker Program I Just Got, Will Be Posting Some Of My Work On The Site;)