PDA

View Full Version : New Vector Conversion Site

Ed Maloney
11-03-2007, 2:07 PM
I tried a few of my troublesome images and they came out fabulous. Doesn't do very well on some lettering though...Check it out.

http://vectormagic.stanford.edu/

mike klein
11-03-2007, 2:56 PM
Excellent find. Tried a few images and they came out perfect.

Lee DeRaud
11-03-2007, 2:58 PM
Whoa! I just threw an insanely complicated full-color pic of an Audi R10 at it and it swallowed it without a peep! The SVG wouldn't import to Corel (came up 0"x0"), but the EPS worked fine.

It'll be interesting to see if it eventually emerges as a product, although I wouldn't be surprised if there's some extremely high-powered gear there at Stanford driving the computations. (As in, we're getting small slices of time on one of their custom parallel supercomputers.)

Darren Null
11-04-2007, 6:28 PM
This site is definitely a find. Completely blows away corel and illustrator's vector tracing. Limits images to 1 megapixel, which is a bit of a pity, but understandable.

Lee DeRaud
11-04-2007, 6:30 PM
This site is definitely a find. Completely blows away corel and illustrator's vector tracing. Limits images to 1 megapixel, which is a bit of a pity, but understandable.Just to clarify, it accepts images to 10MP, but resizes them to 1MP as the first step.

Darren Null
11-04-2007, 6:55 PM
Yeah, sorry, I didn't phrase that very well. For 99% of the time the limit shouldn't make that much difference- the output quality is better than anything I've ever seen.
I really wanted to see my 'computer exploder' 28,000 pixel panorama in vector though. *sigh*
EDIT:

Error: Image size is too large. Your image is 61.0 megapixels, max allowed upload size is 10.0 megapixels.
Please try another file.
heheheh. The machine's a wimp!

Bill Cunningham
11-04-2007, 9:29 PM
Hmm I click download .eps, and give it a filename, and it just sits there at '0' .. nothing happens.. Is there a huge processing 'lineup' or what?

Lee DeRaud
11-04-2007, 11:43 PM
Hmm I click download .eps, and give it a filename, and it just sits there at '0' .. nothing happens.. Is there a huge processing 'lineup' or what?You uploaded and converted already and you can't get the results back? Did the results display window open?

Scott Shepherd
11-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the link, I've used this several times now and it's saved me a lot of time.

Thanks for sharing it.

Bill Cunningham
11-06-2007, 10:12 PM
You uploaded and converted already and you can't get the results back? Did the results display window open?

Yup !! Everything was normal, even the download window opened, and i gave it a filename. hit enter, the little graphing of the download gauge just sat there at zero!!.. This computer is my house computer, running windoze 98 I have not tried it on the shop computer yet..
I even tried the 'send a friend the link' and when I got it, I clicked it and the same thing happend.. It must be a conflict with w/98... Either that , or it hates me...

Joe Pelonio
11-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Bill,

You can't send it an eps, it has to be a bitmap file. Export it as a jpg or tif or something and try it again.

Bill Cunningham
11-06-2007, 11:32 PM
I was sending it .jpg's, Joe..it processed them fine, and when trying to download the .eps vector result the download window on my end opens, I give it a file name, as normal, hit save on my window, it goes back to the wesite, and just sits there.. I'll try it tomorrow with the shop computer if I ever get any time during the day.. It's been one of those periods that you have every so often, that no matter which way you turn, people keep pushing money at you, along with the normal "If I wanted it tomorrow, I would have ordered it tomorrow":D

Joe Pelonio
11-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Sorry, misunderstood. Glad you are busy too, though, this is usually my quietest month but I'm working late and way behind this week too.

Darren Null
11-07-2007, 6:54 AM
It might be your browser Bill. The site doesn't work with Opera, but works fine with the current Firefox. If you're using an old IE version, that might be it.

George Elston
11-07-2007, 8:15 AM
If you click on the "about" it says:

This site is the result of a Stanford University Artificial Intelligence Laboratory research project by James Diebel and Jacob Norda.
We have strived to make the site as easy to use as possible, with a distinct and clear user-interface, while imposing a minimum of fuss. All that is required is a reasonably modern browser, Flash Player and an image you'd like to vectorize.

I would suspect that updates (browser, flash,and java) are necessary (if possible).

George M. Perzel
11-07-2007, 9:24 AM
Outstanding site. Well laid out and very user friendly. I appreciate the effort that went into this and my thanks to the entire crew that developed it.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Bill Cunningham
11-08-2007, 10:06 PM
Well, the problem is my old 'house' computer (win98).. I tried it on the shop computer late this afternoon, and it worked perfectly.. For some reason once you give it a filename in the win98 window, and try to download it, it won't even write the filename.. It just ignores everything and sits at zero.. The old house computer will be replaced with the old shop computer probably next year

The vector conversion works great.. I had another version of the Aztec Calendar so I sent it up and back it came looking pretty darn good.. This is going to be a regular site for most of us I'll bet.. I'd upload it here, but its 883k and wont .zip any smaller..

Bill Cunningham
11-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Hmm forgot I could upload a larger .zip, than .cdr file
Here's another version of the Aztec Cal courtesy of this new site

Ray Rouleau
01-08-2008, 6:22 PM
Thank You! This site is a keeper for sure.

Zeev Goldin
01-08-2008, 9:45 PM
Hate to sound new but...

When would vectoring something would be useful what kind of things you can do with vector?

Thanks

Bill Cunningham
01-08-2008, 11:07 PM
Zeev; Once a file has been vectored, you can make it any size you want, and there are no 'jaggies' around the edges as you would see in a bitmap. You can also engrave it at any dpi you wish, because it not dpi or ppi dependent, and it retains it sharpness even if you stretch it..

Harry Radaza
07-20-2008, 8:14 AM
so it is now for pay. $300 for the desktop edition. vectormagic.com

DOes anyone pay for this site?

Is it much better than the corel x3 tracing capabilities ?

Darren Null
07-20-2008, 11:09 AM
There another thread about it here Harry:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88441

Opinion varies is the summary. The inkscape trace is pretty good and free:
http://www.inkscape.org/

Mike Null
07-20-2008, 5:34 PM
As Darren says, opinion varies but I find Corel trace to be entirely adequate.