PDA

View Full Version : Flooring Advice Question(s)...

Greg Cole
11-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Contemplating replacing carpet with wood flooring either engineered or all wood.... now comes the PITA portion.
Kitchen & dining room are solid wood 3/4 oak floors, the balance of the house is carpet ('cept bathrooms). Looking at many of the prefinished floors that are 3/8 or 1/2" thick. I am not all too keen on the 8mm laminates due to the transition from 3/4" floor to 5/16".
Now one other key factor is that I don't plan on being in this house for more than @ 2 years so I don't want to spent more than about $3-4 a square ft. if I can help it... ideally a laminate in the $2 range wouldn't be bad.
Am I nuts from thinking about adding another thin layer of "subfloor" on top of the existing subfloor? 3/8's or 1/2 ply is all of $10 a sheet..... so for all of $30 I can bump up the subfloor on @ 90 sq feet and get by with much cheaper laminate flooring.......
Should I just buy the thicker flooring and have a 1/4" or less transition?
I'd rather not put carpet down with a 6 year old boy, a puppy of 3 months and umm... well... I am not so nice to my floors either (have a habit of coming in from the shop or outside a lil on the dusty side & don't seem to remember to take boots off). LOML just loves me...LOLOL
But at least she's getting diamonds for her b-day.....:D

Greg